Mackaan

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
A quick question, Which of the following graphics cards is better as I dont have the time to do any researching.

Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256 Mb AGP8X
or
Ati Radeon X850Pro 256Mb GDDR3 AGP8X

Samsa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
No time to research? But time to create a new account and post a question :roll:
Since you have time to post you can read.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/index.html

If you're new to purchasing graphics cards (which he clearly is), then it may take a lot longer to figure out where to find accurate information on graphics cards on your own than it does to sign up on a forum.

Edit: Besides, newbs like me love to prove that we've learned something! ;)

cleeve

Illustrious
The 5900 Ultra is better...

... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Seriously, the 5900 ultra wouldn't be faster than an X850 PRO if you strapped it on the tip of the space shuttle.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'm seeing a frightening number of posts like this, asking questions to compare vastly different cards. Oh well... I primarily blame ATi and nVidia for this mess anyway, by making so many different card models, with a variation level that's hard to tell simply by the model name. The fact that the front-page article falsely compared the GeForce FX as the nVidia equivalent of the Radeon X doesn't help either.

Oh, and yeah, those two cards are in completely seperate leagues; the way I see things, I rank the X850pro as in the 2nd tier, with the FX 5900ultra in the 3rd tier, out of 5 tiers. the X850pro will perhaps get a level of performance approaching some 180% that of the GeForce. the GeForce 6800GS and 6800GT are far more fair comparisons.