Automatic update

Hey All

I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
Ideas anyone?

Daniel
5 answers Last reply
More about automatic update

    Go to control Panel and double click automatic update.
    the below link mabye help you:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maint
    ain/xpmanaged/28_xpupd.mspx

    Hi Daniel,

    You can get the full network install (stand-alone) version of SP2, but it's
    a whopping 266MB download and is unnecessary for the average home user. Keep
    in mind that Automatic Updates is not going to do everyone at once.

    The full download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    daniel wrote:
    > Hey All
    >
    > I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
    > and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
    > Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
    > turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
    > Ideas anyone?
    >
    > Daniel

    I understand SP 2 will eventually be available FREE from MS on
    a CD. There is a MS page that can be accessed for availability info. I
    am waiting form that option, since I have only a slow dial-up
    connection. Furthermore, I can decide when the time is right to install
    SP 2.
    {redoak}

    As other people has spcified in their responses, you have following options:

    a) Download the network install from here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    b) Wait for the CD, following link has more information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    c) Follow the instructions provided here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/updates.aspx

    d) Let Website do it for you:
    http://protect.microsoft.com/security/protect/WSA/en/default.asp

    If you have high speed internet connection and you want to do very few
    steps, then follow option d) from above. In case you have dialup, download
    the full/network install from option a) specified above.

    "daniel" wrote:

    > Hey All
    >
    > I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
    > and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
    > Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
    > turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
    > Ideas anyone?
    >
    > Daniel

    One reason could be as Jupiter Jones outlines in this message. Read It.:

    http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers&mid=e826299b-1fb5-4b3c-9983-ef329d75349b&sloc=en-us

    Recommended steps from above message are:

    Right click My Computer
    Click Properties
    Click Automatic Update tab
    Select "Automatic Recommended"
    Click OK and follow prompts

    "daniel" wrote:

    > Hey All
    >
    > I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
    > and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
    > Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
    > turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
    > Ideas anyone?
    >
    > Daniel

Microsoft Windows XP