  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 20, 2004 9:42:59 PM

Hey All

I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
Ideas anyone?

Daniel

More about : automatic update

August 21, 2004 12:34:01 AM

Go to control Panel and double click automatic update.
the below link mabye help you:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
ain/xpmanaged/28_xpupd.mspx

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:10:10 AM

Hi Daniel,

You can get the full network install (stand-alone) version of SP2, but it's
a whopping 266MB download and is unnecessary for the average home user. Keep
in mind that Automatic Updates is not going to do everyone at once.

The full download:

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey All
>
> I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
> and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
> Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
> turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
> Ideas anyone?
>
> Daniel

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 21, 2004 12:18:20 PM

daniel wrote:
> Hey All
>
> I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
> and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
> Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
> turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
> Ideas anyone?
>
> Daniel

I understand SP 2 will eventually be available FREE from MS on
a CD. There is a MS page that can be accessed for availability info. I
am waiting form that option, since I have only a slow dial-up
connection. Furthermore, I can decide when the time is right to install
SP 2.
{redoak}
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 1:05:02 PM

As other people has spcified in their responses, you have following options:

a) Download the network install from here

b) Wait for the CD, following link has more information:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

c) Follow the instructions provided here:

d) Let Website do it for you:
http://protect.microsoft.com/security/protect/WSA/en/de...

If you have high speed internet connection and you want to do very few
steps, then follow option d) from above. In case you have dialup, download
the full/network install from option a) specified above.

"daniel" wrote:

> Hey All
>
> I'm curious about the SP2 update but from what I've seen
> and read you can only get it thru Automatic update.
> Here's the thing I can't get mine working. It says it's
> turned on but I don't get the icon in the task bar. Any
> Ideas anyone?
>
> Daniel

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:43:02 PM

One reason could be as Jupiter Jones outlines in this message. Read It.:

http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroup...

Recommended steps from above message are:

Right click My Computer
Click Properties
Click Automatic Update tab
Select "Automatic Recommended"