PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I was able to install windows and play games with no problems for about 20hrs, now it just shuts down in 2min or less. WHat is going on. I have reset bios to default, also removed and replaced the battery. I have also tryed different ram. Light on the mobo is green, ASUS premium sli, the light on the mouse (ps2 port) is still on, my x52 joystick lights go off.
Im about to freek out. if i let it sit there for like 5min i can boot again but it shuts off in like 1 min or less.

I'd first try another PS of sufficient wattage...

You have an SLI mb, but are you actually running a pair of SLI boards?

YOu'd want at least 350 watt quality PS for an Athlon based system, and 400 watt PS for an Intel...

(THe goal being much more than 20 watts to spare to avoid being on the ragged edge...; personally, I prefer at least 100 watts to spare)

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Anetc 550, and no im only running 1 7800gt. i run the wattage calulator and it says i only need 300w psu. I just installed the system psu in another computer and it works fine, i cant put my other psu in this system because it is only a 20pin.
Could it be a bad GPU? Mobo?

Shakespeare

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004
I was able to install windows and play games with no problems for about 20hrs, now it just shuts down in 2min or less. WHat is going on. I have reset bios to default, also removed and replaced the battery. I have also tryed different ram. Light on the mobo is green, ASUS premium sli, the light on the mouse (ps2 port) is still on, my x52 joystick lights go off.
Im about to freek out. if i let it sit there for like 5min i can boot again but it shuts off in like 1 min or less.
My $.02, its sounds like a heat issue or a wattage issue. Make sure the compnents are properly seated and have sufficient cooling. And as stated above check your power supply. Good Luck! :!:

Check Six,
Shakespeare

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i might have fixed it. changed the ram settings and voltage from the auto setting to a bit faster. Now it ran for 4hrs with no problems, games on high detail, i also gained 100 points on 3dmark06. ? im still not convinced that this was the problem but ill roll with it.