overclocking help! thank you.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Alright, i know mostly everything there is to know about computers..EXCEPT, over clocking and good cooling to do so. i have a 4000+ amd want to basically make it an fx55 speed of 2.6 ghz. how exactly do i go by doing this..and what heatsink/fan would you recommend to keep it stable...and how do you check the temperature of your processor and whats the temperature supposed to be at? Bored so i thought id test out over clocking, and see if its actually worth it, always been nervous to do so in the past. thanks alot!-belial

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
thanks bro, but, when i over clock it by 10%(200 mhz right?) will it stay stable, or should i get a new heatsink/fan for the processor. looking at the fx 55 processor, its more than double the price of mine, id figure this would be the best way to go, the 4000+ then just over clock it. let me know, thanks.

trunks512

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
i have a question about that faeture on these mobo's
as i ahve the asus 32 sli deluxe
and it also suports the % clock
have you personally ever used? and do u know if the ram timings/ voltages etc they set are stable?

"i have a 4000+ amd want to basically make it an fx55 speed of 2.6 ghz. "

You might be able to get 2.6G using factory heatsink/fan, I'd expect your under load cpu temps to go from 45C to about 54C, and you might want to up the core voltage by .05V if necessary...

(FYI, the processor OC during high res gaming will gain you only about 1 frame/sec, in most games, if that, and after seeing such a small difference, I left my 3500+ running at it's stock 2.2G)

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I checked the bios, and i saw cpu options, but theres no where that says i can change the speed of the processor, i dont even think i can change the voltage. and if my 4000+ cost me 360 bucks when i got it, and the fx 55 costs 811 bucks on newegg for only 200 mhz difference..and say you only gain maybe a few frames per second, why the hell is it so much more money? is there any step by step solutions people can give me so i can over clock my cpu the right way and safelty, and be able to check the temp? thanks for the help. appreciated.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Alright finally. with looking alittle more into it, i found the over clock options...these are my options:
AI overclock
AI NOS
cpu frequency is at 200.0(standard)
cpu multiplier
cpu voltage

the options it gives me for AI overclock is 2% 3% 5% 10% so on and so forth, same goes for the AI NOS clock..whats the difference, and if i want 200mhz more (to reach my goal of fx55 speeds, would trhat be the 10% overclock and do i want to switch the AI overlock or AI NOS? thanks.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
just switch it to manual and up the fsb to 220 that will be stable, anything higher and you will need to fiddle with RAM timings and HT settings and the dreaded volts.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Alright, just switched to manual and went from 2.4 to 2.62 ghz, getting idle temp. at 31 degrees C and after lpay cs for an hour..i get 43c is the highest so far..what temperature should i not exceed?

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
aweswome, yah i just got my 120 mm fan for the front of my huge case, so i now have 5 fans, no im getting an idle temp at 28 degrees C and im overclocked to fx 55 speeds! whoo, thats what i was looking for...good thing i bought a full tower and have good air flow.