constant password prompt after idle

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Is there a way to set it so that the client does not have to re-enter the
user name and password after every 5 minutes of idle. This process becomes
time consuming and annoying for us as we regularly go idle for 10-15 minutes
at a time on our Remote Desktop Connections on Windows 2003 Enterprise

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Sounds like you have a password protected screen saver enabled?
Modify the time limit or disable it altogether.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
11 maj 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Is there a way to set it so that the client does not have to
> re-enter the user name and password after every 5 minutes of
> idle. This process becomes time consuming and annoying for us
> as we regularly go idle for 10-15 minutes at a time on our
> Remote Desktop Connections on Windows 2003 Enterprise
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hi, the screensaver is not passworded. This is not a just a password prompt,
it is the windows 2003 server login screen that you get when you first
connect to the remote desktop software. I have that password auto login so
the client machine doesnt have to enter the password, however if the client
machine is logged into the server using remote desktop, and the client is
idle for more than 5 minutes, the remote desktop software prompts the client
for user name and password again to resume using the program. Can I set this
so remote desktop on the server is not prompting for user name and password
every 5 minutes. This only started happening when we upgraded from Windows
2000 Server to Windows 2003 Server Enterprise with 25 cals.

Thanks!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

So the session is disconnected? Have you checked the time out limit
for idle sessions in Terminal Services Configuration?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
12 maj 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Hi, the screensaver is not passworded. This is not a just a
> password prompt, it is the windows 2003 server login screen that
> you get when you first connect to the remote desktop software.
> I have that password auto login so the client machine doesnt
> have to enter the password, however if the client machine is
> logged into the server using remote desktop, and the client is
> idle for more than 5 minutes, the remote desktop software
> prompts the client for user name and password again to resume
> using the program. Can I set this so remote desktop on the
> server is not prompting for user name and password every 5
> minutes. This only started happening when we upgraded from
> Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2003 Server Enterprise with 25
> cals.
>
> Thanks!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hi, thanks for the reply i was out of town. No, it doesnt disconnect it
just prompts for the users name and password on the server if left idle for 5
minutes...

We have disconnect completely turned off!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

If the session is not disconnected and it's not a screen saver, then
I have no idea what is causing this behaviour.

Does this happen irrespective of which application you run within the
TS session? If you start a remote desktop session and then run
notepad, does it happen then as well? Which processes are running in
your TS session?

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
15 maj 2005:

> Hi, thanks for the reply i was out of town. No, it doesnt
> disconnect it just prompts for the users name and password on
> the server if left idle for 5 minutes...
>
> We have disconnect completely turned off!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I had some time to troubleshoot the issue again and still no luck. I did find
that this box pops up after 5 minutes of idle when connected through Remote
Desktop connection to the server no matter WHAT program you have it execute,
I even tried it by just going to the servers desktop and letting it sit idle
for 5 minutes, the screen blanks and then you get a windows 2003 server login
box that says the following:
This Computer is in use and has been locked.

Only LA/DAVE (DAVE MILLER) or an administrator can unlock this computer.

User Name:

Password:

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> If the session is not disconnected and it's not a screen saver, then
> I have no idea what is causing this behaviour.
>
> Does this happen irrespective of which application you run within the
> TS session? If you start a remote desktop session and then run
> notepad, does it happen then as well? Which processes are running in
> your TS session?
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
> 15 maj 2005:
>

> > Hi, thanks for the reply i was out of town. No, it doesnt
> > disconnect it just prompts for the users name and password on
> > the server if left idle for 5 minutes...
> >
> > We have disconnect completely turned off!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

That's the default screen saver on Windows 2003 TS.
Check your Group Policies.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
18 maj 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> I had some time to troubleshoot the issue again and still no
> luck. I did find that this box pops up after 5 minutes of idle
> when connected through Remote Desktop connection to the server
> no matter WHAT program you have it execute, I even tried it by
> just going to the servers desktop and letting it sit idle for 5
> minutes, the screen blanks and then you get a windows 2003
> server login box that says the following:
> This Computer is in use and has been locked.
>
> Only LA/DAVE (DAVE MILLER) or an administrator can unlock this
> computer.
>
> User Name:
>
> Password:
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If the session is not disconnected and it's not a screen saver,
>> then I have no idea what is causing this behaviour.
>>
>> Does this happen irrespective of which application you run
>> within the TS session? If you start a remote desktop session
>> and then run notepad, does it happen then as well? Which
>> processes are running in your TS session?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> on 15 maj 2005:
>>

>> > Hi, thanks for the reply i was out of town. No, it doesnt
>> > disconnect it just prompts for the users name and password on
>> > the server if left idle for 5 minutes...
>> >
>> > We have disconnect completely turned off!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hi, can you please be more specific as to Group Policies , cause we have
gone through so many different settings and policies we have pictures of Bill
Gates spinning around in star framed circles above our heads :)

Thanks!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

User configuration - Admninistrative templates - Control Panel -
Display
"Screen saver"
"Screen saver executable name"
"Password protect the screen saver"
"Screen saver timeout"

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?cG1naQ==?=" <pmgi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
19 maj 2005:

> Hi, can you please be more specific as to Group Policies , cause
> we have gone through so many different settings and policies we
> have pictures of Bill Gates spinning around in star framed
> circles above our heads :)
>
> Thanks!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

ok, not sure if we mentioned that our system administrator is out of the
country on business. anyway, it should be obvious from our posts that we are
novices and trying to get this fixed for our users, and we believe you must
truly want to help people or you would not spend time on this board answering
questions right? ok, well your answer to our question as to where to go was
more conveluded, complex and with no direction... you say its in user
configuration, well jeez.. that doesnt rreally narrow it down for us...
uh um.. WHAT USER CONFIGURATION ARE YOU REFERING TOO AND WHERE IS THE USER
CONFIGURATION? that information would certainly be helpful in our completing
this 7 day question / problem (what we thought would be a very simple
question) oh well.. i guess computers just arent simple... thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

ok

gpedit.msc ran at the run command someone tells me..

ok that was simple now wasnt it?

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

No, you didn't mention not being the system administrator :)
I see in your next post that you have already found how to edit
Group Policies, so I assume that your problem is solved by now.
If not, feel free to repost.

No offence intended, but if you don't know what Group Policies are
nor how to edit them, you should not have permission (i.e. an
Administrator account) to change them. You could easily and
unknowingly break more than you fix.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT