Show Desktop Icon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I posted a note yesterday inquiring about a workaround to get a Show
Desktop icon on my Windows XP.

One responder gave instructions to create a notepad file for Show
Desktop.scr, then drag it to the taskbar. When I tried that this
evening, I realized that I did not get instructions regarding where to
save this file. I searched for the location of other .scr files and
based on that, I saved it in the Windows\System32 file. It didn't work.

The second suggestion was to go to http://www.kellys-korner-
xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and choose the Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick
Launch Bar (Item #61). When I clicked on that, Norton shot me a warning
screen that said MALICIOUS SCRIPT CONTENT DETECTED. I deleted the file,
but wanted to pass the warning along. I know I've seen many references
to this particular website and it's always been my impression that it is
a reliable site -- so I don't know what would cause this -- but I'm not
taking any chances.

Anyhow, I've run out of ideas and I still don't have a "Show Desktop"
icon. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Incidentally, the Windows-->D DID work, but I'd still prefer the old
icon. Is it possible to copy it from my old computer, and if so, what
files should I transfer?

Thanks again,

Perri
19 answers Last reply
More about show desktop icon
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    To create a Minimize All Programs shortcut for your desktop or
    taskbar:

    Create a shortcut on your desktop with the following path then drag
    it to
    your taskbar if you want it there.

    "C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusernamehere]\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Show Desktop.scf"
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    ~IB-CA~

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I posted a note yesterday inquiring about a workaround to get a
    Show
    > Desktop icon on my Windows XP.
    >
    > One responder gave instructions to create a notepad file for Show
    > Desktop.scr, then drag it to the taskbar. When I tried that this
    > evening, I realized that I did not get instructions regarding where
    > save this file. I searched for the location of other .scr files
    and
    > based on that, I saved it in the Windows\System32 file. It didn't
    work.

    > The second suggestion was to go to http://www.kellys-korner-
    > xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and choose the Restore/Add Show Desktop to
    Quick
    > Launch Bar (Item #61). When I clicked on that, Norton shot me a
    warning
    > screen that said MALICIOUS SCRIPT CONTENT DETECTED. I deleted the
    file,
    > but wanted to pass the warning along. I know I've seen many
    references
    > to this particular website and it's always been my impression that
    it is
    > a reliable site -- so I don't know what would cause this -- but I'm
    not
    > taking any chances.
    >
    > Anyhow, I've run out of ideas and I still don't have a "Show
    Desktop"
    > icon. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    >
    > Incidentally, the Windows-->D DID work, but I'd still prefer the
    old
    > icon. Is it possible to copy it from my old computer, and if so,
    what
    > files should I transfer?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Perri
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I posted a note yesterday inquiring about a workaround to get a Show
    > Desktop icon on my Windows XP.
    >
    > One responder gave instructions to create a notepad file for Show
    > Desktop.scr, then drag it to the taskbar.
    ^^^
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Perri

    If you check the instructions you referred to they said to save the file as
    a .scf file, not .scr.

    It may be easier, however, just to do a search for the Save Desktop.scf file
    on your computer, copy it to the desktop and drag a copy to the quick launch
    bar.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Either the fix from Kelly's site, or mine, will work. The warning about a "potentially malicious script" is noted on both sites. This is because the Windows Script Host is invoked to effect the repair.

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Restore Show Desktop icon.

    Both Kelly's site, and mine, receive thousands of hits per day, and if we were in the habit of distributing malicious software, we would not be microsoft MVP's.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:Xns954BDC066D824pmorgnbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18...
    >I posted a note yesterday inquiring about a workaround to get a Show
    > Desktop icon on my Windows XP.
    >
    > One responder gave instructions to create a notepad file for Show
    > Desktop.scr, then drag it to the taskbar. When I tried that this
    > evening, I realized that I did not get instructions regarding where to
    > save this file. I searched for the location of other .scr files and
    > based on that, I saved it in the Windows\System32 file. It didn't work.
    >
    > The second suggestion was to go to http://www.kellys-korner-
    > xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and choose the Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick
    > Launch Bar (Item #61). When I clicked on that, Norton shot me a warning
    > screen that said MALICIOUS SCRIPT CONTENT DETECTED. I deleted the file,
    > but wanted to pass the warning along. I know I've seen many references
    > to this particular website and it's always been my impression that it is
    > a reliable site -- so I don't know what would cause this -- but I'm not
    > taking any chances.
    >
    > Anyhow, I've run out of ideas and I still don't have a "Show Desktop"
    > icon. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    >
    > Incidentally, the Windows-->D DID work, but I'd still prefer the old
    > icon. Is it possible to copy it from my old computer, and if so, what
    > files should I transfer?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Perri
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    :
[...]
    SP2 will put it back.
    TonyS
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    What was wrong with my suggestion <sniffle>? Worked fine for me. One
    click and all the windows are minimized and you're looking at the
    desktop.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    ~IB-CA~

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I posted a note yesterday inquiring about a workaround to get a
    Show
    > Desktop icon on my Windows XP.
    >
    > One responder gave instructions to create a notepad file for Show
    > Desktop.scr, then drag it to the taskbar. When I tried that this
    > evening, I realized that I did not get instructions regarding where
    > save this file. I searched for the location of other .scr files
    and
    > based on that, I saved it in the Windows\System32 file. It didn't
    work.

    > The second suggestion was to go to http://www.kellys-korner-
    > xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and choose the Restore/Add Show Desktop to
    Quick
    > Launch Bar (Item #61). When I clicked on that, Norton shot me a
    warning
    > screen that said MALICIOUS SCRIPT CONTENT DETECTED. I deleted the
    file,
    > but wanted to pass the warning along. I know I've seen many
    references
    > to this particular website and it's always been my impression that
    it is
    > a reliable site -- so I don't know what would cause this -- but I'm
    not
    > taking any chances.
    >
    > Anyhow, I've run out of ideas and I still don't have a "Show
    Desktop"
    > icon. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    >
    > Incidentally, the Windows-->D DID work, but I'd still prefer the
    old
    > icon. Is it possible to copy it from my old computer, and if so,
    what
    > files should I transfer?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Perri
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Erehwon" <granmark@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

    > If you check the instructions you referred to they said to save the
    > file as a .scf file, not .scr.
    >
    > It may be easier, however, just to do a search for the Save
    > Desktop.scf file on your computer, copy it to the desktop and drag a
    > copy to the quick launch bar.

    Oops. Sorry -- I must've read it wrong.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "TonyS" <t0ny2t0ne@ATT.not> wrote in news:5kyVc.1131$Rp6.764
    @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

    > SP2 will put it back.
    > TonyS

    Do you mean that if I install SP2, the desktop icon is included?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: Show Desktop Icon
    > From: "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org>
    > Newsgroups:
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    >
    > Either the fix from Kelly's site, or mine, will work. The warning
    > about a "potentially malicious script" is noted on both sites. This
    > is because the Windows Script Host is invoked to effect the repair.
    >
    > See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Restore Show Desktop icon.
    >
    > Both Kelly's site, and mine, receive thousands of hits per day, and if
    > we were in the habit of distributing malicious software, we would not
    > be microsoft MVP's.

    Well, I didn't think so -- that's why I prefaced my remarks by saying
    that I'd known that to be a reliable site in the past -- but the warning
    scared the he** out of me (I didn't know it was a normal thing). Are you
    saying it's okay to just ignore the warning and continue?

    Thanks to all, and I apologize for my stupidity!

    Perri
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in news:ue7FXA5hEHA.3476
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > What was wrong with my suggestion <sniffle>? Worked fine for me. One
    > click and all the windows are minimized and you're looking at the
    > desktop.

    Oh Bruce, yours looks like a WONDERFUL suggestion! I just read it this
    morning and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've been busily trying
    to transfer all my files from my old laptop onto this new one and
    download the various programs and set them up and figure out XP and I
    just haven't gotten to it yet.

    However -- (and I kept it in my notes, so just gave it another look), I'm
    not sure how to do it. Where do I go to create this path? In Windows
    Explorer-->Documents & Settings-->[ME]-->Applications, etc. -->New
    Folder? And to what is the path connected? Will I end up with an icon
    or something that I can drag to the taskbar?

    See -- now you've unintentionally caused yourself more work!! ;-)

    Perri
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Yes, in Windows Explorer. Follow that path, and at the final
    destination, right click on "Show Desktop.scf" and Send to>Desktop
    (create shortcut). An icon will be on the Desktop and you can drag it
    to the toolbar.
    --

    > @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > What was wrong with my suggestion <sniffle>? Worked fine for me.
    One
    > > click and all the windows are minimized and you're looking at the
    > > desktop.
    >
    > Oh Bruce, yours looks like a WONDERFUL suggestion! I just read it
    this
    > morning and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've been busily
    trying
    > to transfer all my files from my old laptop onto this new one and
    > download the various programs and set them up and figure out XP and
    > just haven't gotten to it yet.
    >
    > However -- (and I kept it in my notes, so just gave it another
    look), I'm
    > not sure how to do it. Where do I go to create this path? In
    Windows
    > Explorer-->Documents & Settings-->[ME]-->Applications, etc. -->New
    > Folder? And to what is the path connected? Will I end up with an
    icon
    > or something that I can drag to the taskbar?
    >
    > See -- now you've unintentionally caused yourself more work!! ;-)
    >
    > Perri
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    PMorgan wrote:
    : "TonyS" <t0ny2t0ne@ATT.not> wrote in news:5kyVc.1131$Rp6.764
    : @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
    :
    :: SP2 will put it back.
    :: TonyS
    :
    : Do you mean that if I install SP2, the desktop icon is included?
    Yes. I find the Window key + D easier so I remove the icon but when I
    updated SP2 it was back.
    TonyS
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Norton's is wrong and stupid. They just class different types of programs. The QL fix program type (vbs or hta or js or wsc or wsh and maybe others) it gives that message for every program of that type. It gives that message for some MS programs too and there is NO CHECKING going on.

    You too can write an AV program like norton's. Just pop up a dialog when anything happens.
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:Xns954BDC066D824pmorgnbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18...
    > I posted a note yesterday inquiring about a workaround to get a Show
    > Desktop icon on my Windows XP.
    >
    > One responder gave instructions to create a notepad file for Show
    > Desktop.scr, then drag it to the taskbar. When I tried that this
    > evening, I realized that I did not get instructions regarding where to
    > save this file. I searched for the location of other .scr files and
    > based on that, I saved it in the Windows\System32 file. It didn't work.
    >
    > The second suggestion was to go to http://www.kellys-korner-
    > xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and choose the Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick
    > Launch Bar (Item #61). When I clicked on that, Norton shot me a warning
    > screen that said MALICIOUS SCRIPT CONTENT DETECTED. I deleted the file,
    > but wanted to pass the warning along. I know I've seen many references
    > to this particular website and it's always been my impression that it is
    > a reliable site -- so I don't know what would cause this -- but I'm not
    > taking any chances.
    >
    > Anyhow, I've run out of ideas and I still don't have a "Show Desktop"
    > icon. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    >
    > Incidentally, the Windows-->D DID work, but I'd still prefer the old
    > icon. Is it possible to copy it from my old computer, and if so, what
    > files should I transfer?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Perri
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in

    > You too can write an AV program like norton's. Just pop up a dialog
    > when anything happens.

    Easy for YOU to say!
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Just tell youself whenever you open a program "opps this is a program, it might be a virus, I better not start any programs". That is what norton is doing.

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:Xns954C89800BB49pmorgnbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18...
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in
    >
    > > You too can write an AV program like norton's. Just pop up a dialog
    > > when anything happens.
    >
    > Easy for YOU to say!
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Yes, its normal. After the Love Letter virus, and a few others, AV software companies began watching for use of the Windows Scripting Host, and VBS files that wrote to the file system or the registry, and flagging them as potentially malicious. And either Kelly's fix, or mine are safe to use.

    "PMorgan" <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:Xns954C6FCB07C78pmorgnbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18...
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Subject: Re: Show Desktop Icon
    >> From: "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org>
    >> Newsgroups:
    >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    >>
    >> Either the fix from Kelly's site, or mine, will work. The warning
    >> about a "potentially malicious script" is noted on both sites. This
    >> is because the Windows Script Host is invoked to effect the repair.
    >>
    >> See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Restore Show Desktop icon.
    >>
    >> Both Kelly's site, and mine, receive thousands of hits per day, and if
    >> we were in the habit of distributing malicious software, we would not
    >> be microsoft MVP's.
    >
    > Well, I didn't think so -- that's why I prefaced my remarks by saying
    > that I'd known that to be a reliable site in the past -- but the warning
    > scared the he** out of me (I didn't know it was a normal thing). Are you
    > saying it's okay to just ignore the warning and continue?
    >
    > Thanks to all, and I apologize for my stupidity!
    >
    > Perri
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in news:OLSkAX6hEHA.4064
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > Yes, in Windows Explorer. Follow that path, and at the final
    > destination, right click on "Show Desktop.scf" and Send to>Desktop
    > (create shortcut). An icon will be on the Desktop and you can drag it
    > to the toolbar.

    What do you mean by "Toolbar"? I found everything else that you described
    and I now have the proper icon on my desktop, but would like it on the
    taskbar below. As it is, I have to do the Windows Key --> D thing to get
    to it right now (kind of defeats the purpose). ;-) When I try to drag it
    to the taskbar, though, I get that circle thing with the line through it,
    indicating that I can't do that.

    Sorry to make such an ordeal out of this, but I really DO appreciate your
    help.

    PMorgan wrote:
[...]
    The Toolbar where the show desktop Icon is commonly found is the Quick
    Launch toolbar found next to the Start button. Right click an empty
    space on the Taskbar and go to toolbars and look for a checkmark next to
    Quick Launch. If none check it.
    TonyS
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "TonyS" <t0ny2t0ne@ATT.not> wrote in news:HuSWc.11280$Xp2.2623
    @newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

    > The Toolbar where the show desktop Icon is commonly found is the Quick
    > Launch toolbar found next to the Start button. Right click an empty
    > space on the Taskbar and go to toolbars and look for a checkmark next to
    > Quick Launch. If none check it.

    Excellent! It was unchecked; I checked it, and now I have my "Show
    Desktop" icon right where I want it.

    Thanks!!
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    PMorgan wrote:
    : "TonyS" <t0ny2t0ne@ATT.not> wrote in news:HuSWc.11280$Xp2.2623
    : @newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:
    :
    :: The Toolbar where the show desktop Icon is commonly found is the
    :: Quick Launch toolbar found next to the Start button. Right click an
    :: empty space on the Taskbar and go to toolbars and look for a
    :: checkmark next to Quick Launch. If none check it.
    :
    : Excellent! It was unchecked; I checked it, and now I have my "Show
    : Desktop" icon right where I want it.
    :
    : Thanks!!
    You are welcome.