Where is Disk Management Partition Info Stored in WinXP

I have a dual boot PC with two installations of Windows XP SP2. I do this to do OS backups using ntbackup. I just backup/restore the primary OS from the backup OS.

I doing a new installation. When I create new partitions using Management Console Disk Management in the first OS, the second OS doesn't recognize the new partitions.

Does anyone know why? I thought this information was stored in the partitions itself. If not, where is this information stored (start, stop, partition name, etc).

Thanks in Advance - JackRazz
3 answers Last reply
More about where disk management partition info stored winxp
  1. did you format that partition? if you haven't you need to for the os to recognize, but if you have formatted it already than i am not sure what the deal is. If all else fails just go and buy partition magic, i personally never used it but i have heard nothing but good things about it.
  2. Hey Crazywheels,
    That was quick. Yes they are formatted. As ususal, after I posted this, I ran across something about Win XP pro storing partition table info in special location and not in the partition table. I've been looking for a while, just didn't think to use 'partition table' in my searches.

I Have one partition that is dynamic and that could be forcing WinXP to store all the partition table info outside the normal area. I still hunting, but I might just trying partitioning the drive outside of windows and see if that does the trick.

Thanks - JackRazz
  3. That's a good idea. Pop in ur WinXP CD, boot from it, partition whatever drive you want, format it in NTFS, and it <should> show up in WinXP.

Did I miss anything?

-mpjesse
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Disk Management Backup Partition Dual Boot Storage