Sign in with
Your question

Where is Disk Management Partition Info Stored in WinXP

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2006 7:09:38 PM

I have a dual boot PC with two installations of Windows XP SP2. I do this to do OS backups using ntbackup. I just backup/restore the primary OS from the backup OS.

I doing a new installation. When I create new partitions using Management Console Disk Management in the first OS, the second OS doesn't recognize the new partitions.

Does anyone know why? I thought this information was stored in the partitions itself. If not, where is this information stored (start, stop, partition name, etc).

Thanks in Advance - JackRazz
January 18, 2006 7:24:12 PM

did you format that partition? if you haven't you need to for the os to recognize, but if you have formatted it already than i am not sure what the deal is. If all else fails just go and buy partition magic, i personally never used it but i have heard nothing but good things about it.
January 18, 2006 7:56:10 PM

Hey Crazywheels,
That was quick. Yes they are formatted. As ususal, after I posted this, I ran across something about Win XP pro storing partition table info in special location and not in the partition table. I've been looking for a while, just didn't think to use 'partition table' in my searches.

I Have one partition that is dynamic and that could be forcing WinXP to store all the partition table info outside the normal area. I still hunting, but I might just trying partitioning the drive outside of windows and see if that does the trick.

Thanks - JackRazz
January 18, 2006 9:53:45 PM

That's a good idea. Pop in ur WinXP CD, boot from it, partition whatever drive you want, format it in NTFS, and it <should> show up in WinXP.

Did I miss anything?

-mpjesse
Related resources
!