Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Allow Screen Saver - TS Group Policy setting?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I have seen reference to an "Allow Screen Saver" group polciy setting
under Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Terminal
Services (
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
).

I am not enable to find this setting in our Windows 2003 domain
environment. I would like to turn off the screensave when clients
connect through RDP or Citrix but have the screensaver in place on the
servers when I log in directly.

Thanks for your assistance.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:51:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

You're right, that settings isn't there.

In stead, it is located in
User Configuration - Administrative templates - Control Panel -
Display
"Screen saver"
"Screen saver executable name"
"Screen saver timeout"

Since this is a user setting, you have to make sure that it only
applies to the users when they log on to the Terminal Server, and not
when they log on to their desktop computers.
You can do this by using the "loopback processing" option in the GPO,
with the Replace option.

Details are documented here:

260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services
Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370

231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287

_________________________________________________________
Vera Noest
MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

wlawn@yahoo.com wrote on 08 jul 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> I have seen reference to an "Allow Screen Saver" group polciy
> setting under Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates
> - Terminal Services (
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> eskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/a
> ll/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp ).
>
> I am not enable to find this setting in our Windows 2003 domain
> environment. I would like to turn off the screensave when
> clients connect through RDP or Citrix but have the screensaver
> in place on the servers when I log in directly.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:15:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks Vera. These user settings would also apply to users logging on
locally to the Terminal Server. I was hoping to find a way to only
apply the settings to users connecting through RDP or ICA since the
screensaver is already in place for their desktop machines.


Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
> You're right, that settings isn't there.
>
> In stead, it is located in
> User Configuration - Administrative templates - Control Panel -
> Display
> "Screen saver"
> "Screen saver executable name"
> "Screen saver timeout"
>
> Since this is a user setting, you have to make sure that it only
> applies to the users when they log on to the Terminal Server, and not
> when they log on to their desktop computers.
> You can do this by using the "loopback processing" option in the GPO,
> with the Replace option.
>
> Details are documented here:
>
> 260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services
> Servers
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370
>
> 231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Vera Noest
> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> wlawn@yahoo.com wrote on 08 jul 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > I have seen reference to an "Allow Screen Saver" group polciy
> > setting under Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates
> > - Terminal Services (
> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> > eskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/a
> > ll/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp ).
> >
> > I am not enable to find this setting in our Windows 2003 domain
> > environment. I would like to turn off the screensave when
> > clients connect through RDP or Citrix but have the screensaver
> > in place on the servers when I log in directly.
> >
> > Thanks for your assistance.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:22:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

But normal users do not log on locally (at the console) of the TS,
I hope?

If you want Administrators to have a screen saver when they logon
to the console, just edit the security filtering of the GPO, and
make sure it doesn't apply to Administrators (give them "Deny" for
"Apply this policy").

816100 - How To Prevent Domain Group Policies from Applying to
Administrator Accounts and Selected Users in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816100

_________________________________________________________
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
*----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

wlawn@yahoo.com wrote on 12 jul 2005:

> Thanks Vera. These user settings would also apply to users
> logging on locally to the Terminal Server. I was hoping to find
> a way to only apply the settings to users connecting through RDP
> or ICA since the screensaver is already in place for their
> desktop machines.
>
>
> Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>> You're right, that settings isn't there.
>>
>> In stead, it is located in
>> User Configuration - Administrative templates - Control Panel -
>> Display
>> "Screen saver"
>> "Screen saver executable name"
>> "Screen saver timeout"
>>
>> Since this is a user setting, you have to make sure that it
>> only applies to the users when they log on to the Terminal
>> Server, and not when they log on to their desktop computers.
>> You can do this by using the "loopback processing" option in
>> the GPO, with the Replace option.
>>
>> Details are documented here:
>>
>> 260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services
>> Servers
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370
>>
>> 231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>>
>> wlawn@yahoo.com wrote on 08 jul 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>> > I have seen reference to an "Allow Screen Saver" group polciy
>> > setting under Computer Configuration - Administrative
>> > Templates - Terminal Services (
>> >
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>> > l/r
>> > eskit/en-us/Default.asp?
url=/resources/documentation/Windows/X
>> > P/a ll/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp ).
>> >
>> > I am not enable to find this setting in our Windows 2003
>> > domain environment. I would like to turn off the screensave
>> > when clients connect through RDP or Citrix but have the
>> > screensaver in place on the servers when I log in directly.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your assistance.
!