Anyone printing from Dos app to a router with print server?

Jd

Must be printing directly from the program to a router that has the print
server in action.
Thanks a million.
I have no router with print server so I cannot test it.

jd,

> Must be printing directly from the program to a router that has the print
> server in action.

a DOS app cannot print *directly* to a print server, but you can use the
"NET USE" command to map a local LPT port to the remote share, provided you
have Administrator rights to the PC running the DOS app and the printer is
DOS compatible.

If you don't have Administrator rights, or you don't want to "NET USE" a
local port, or the printer is not DOS compatible, then you may want to have
a look at Printfil (see signature)

Regards,
Davide.
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Jd

Thanks for replying! Yes, I meant to say by using the net use lpt2:
\\whatever\printer
My concern is what would \\whatever\printer be? Is it
\\192.168.1.1:port\share or what?
The printer that will be shared is dos compatible. The pc's are win98se.
Thanks again.

"Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
> jd,
>
> > Must be printing directly from the program to a router that has the
print
> > server in action.
>
> a DOS app cannot print *directly* to a print server, but you can use the
> "NET USE" command to map a local LPT port to the remote share, provided
you
> have Administrator rights to the PC running the DOS app and the printer is
> DOS compatible.
>
> If you don't have Administrator rights, or you don't want to "NET USE" a
> local port, or the printer is not DOS compatible, then you may want to
have
> a look at Printfil (see signature)
>
> Regards,
> Davide.
> Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
> http://www.guolo.com/printfil
> Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
> http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

jd,

> My concern is what would \\whatever\printer be? Is it
> \\192.168.1.1:port\share or what?

it may depends. Do you see your printer (or the router) in the "Network
Resources" ?
You may be required to install the driver on a PC, than to share the printer
on it in order to be allowed to NET USE a port to that path.

Regards,
Davide Guolo