Windows 98 RDC's can't stay connected to windows 2003 term..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I have a windows 2003 server with sp1 running terminal server.
Problem: XP and 2000 pc's connect, login and stay logged in fine with no
disconnects, but any windows 98 pc's disconnect every10-20 seconds. If I
keep trying to get connected it will get a little farther each time,
eventually getting to a desktop and I can start to run an application, except
that the connection keeps getting disconnected every 10-20 seconds.
Any help would be appreciated,
Erik

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Are the W98 clients running the latest rdp client software?
Check if this helps:

555038 - How to enable Windows 98/ME/NT clients to logon to Windows
2003 based Domains
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555038

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"=?Utf-8?B?RXJpayBpbiBNYWluZQ==?=" <Erik in
Maine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 15 aug 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> I have a windows 2003 server with sp1 running terminal server.
> Problem: XP and 2000 pc's connect, login and stay logged in
> fine with no disconnects, but any windows 98 pc's disconnect
> every10-20 seconds. If I keep trying to get connected it will
> get a little farther each time, eventually getting to a desktop
> and I can start to run an application, except that the
> connection keeps getting disconnected every 10-20 seconds. Any
> help would be appreciated, Erik

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hi Vera,
This problem is with Remote desktop computers. On both 98 machines in
different offsite locations, they have been fully patched and are using the
latest RDC software from the Microsoft site. Is this a problem with SP1 for
W2k3 server? What is the fix. Called MS and they want to charge me $249.00
to answer what is wrong with the software we just bought from them. I have
been in computing for over 30 years and never had a company try to charge me
to tell me what is wrong with their product. I can't ask the call center
that needs to get in for us to upgrade all their machines to xp/2000 so they
can connect. Nothing in MS documentation said that 98 RDC clients won't work
with W2k3 server and terminal services. Thanks for any help.
Erik

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Are the W98 clients running the latest rdp client software?
> Check if this helps:
>
> 555038 - How to enable Windows 98/ME/NT clients to logon to Windows
> 2003 based Domains
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555038

> Vera Noest
> TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?RXJpayBpbiBNYWluZQ==?=" <Erik in
> Maine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 15 aug 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > I have a windows 2003 server with sp1 running terminal server.
> > Problem: XP and 2000 pc's connect, login and stay logged in
> > fine with no disconnects, but any windows 98 pc's disconnect
> > every10-20 seconds. If I keep trying to get connected it will
> > get a little farther each time, eventually getting to a desktop
> > and I can start to run an application, except that the
> > connection keeps getting disconnected every 10-20 seconds. Any
> > help would be appreciated, Erik

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

There's nothing wrong with Windows 2003 Terminal Services.
Support isn't free because Windows98 has been a discontinued
product for quite a few years now.

Windows98 *is* a supported platform for the rdp client, though, and
those clients should be able to connect.

Have you ruled out network problems? Are there XP clients in the
same remote locations which can maintain a stable connection to the
Terminal Server?
Can you connect with the rdp client on Windows98 to an XP client in
the same location?
Is there anything in the EventLog on the Terminal Server or the
domain controller?

Also check this article:

823659 - Client, service, and program incompatibilities that may
occur when you modify security settings and user rights assignments
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823659