Ftp over cipe(VPN)

Archived from groups: comp.security.ssh,fa.linux.kernel,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.vpn,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Hi,

Is there a way to FTP over a VPN? I am running BSDFTPD-SSL and cipe
on a Redhat Linux 9 machine. I want to ftp from windows machine to
Linux machine over the CIPE vpn..
I have not come across any documents explaining how this can be
done..If any one has any links/advice , I would be very grateful..

Thanks,
Ann
2 answers Last reply
More about cipe
  1. Archived from groups: comp.security.ssh,fa.linux.kernel,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.vpn,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

    Ann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way to FTP over a VPN? I am running BSDFTPD-SSL and cipe
    > on a Redhat Linux 9 machine. I want to ftp from windows machine to
    > Linux machine over the CIPE vpn..
    > I have not come across any documents explaining how this can be
    > done..If any one has any links/advice , I would be very grateful..
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ann
    Hi Ann,

    Cipe is a tunnel, so you put a ip packet into an other one. This means, that
    all you have to do is to address the other machine with its tunnel ip. What
    kind of data or protocolls you use through this vpn is completely hidden
    from the tunnel. In fact, you can use ftp or just send a bunch of bullshit
    through the vpn, both will work. Setting up cipe is extremely easy. Once it
    is installed, you have to set your address, the remote peers address, the
    vpn ips and the key in the config file. Plus the port, Cipe must use.

    # the peer's IP address
    ptpaddr 192.168.1.2
    # our CIPE device's IP address
    ipaddr 192.168.1.1
    # my UDP address. Note: if you set port 0 here, the system will pick
    # one and tell it to you via the ip-up script. Same holds for IP 0.0.0.0.
    me 192.168.99.1:10000
    # ...and the UDP address we connect to. Of course no wildcards here.
    peer 192.168.99.2:10000
    # The static key. Keep this file secret!
    # The key is 128 bits in hexadecimal notation.
    key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Regards, Alex
  2. Archived from groups: comp.security.ssh,fa.linux.kernel,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.vpn,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

    Alex, Peter:

    That was very helpful..Really appreciate it..It prevented me from
    spending valuable time searching some thing non-existent!!

    Thanks, Ann

vpn FTP Linux Networking