Sign in with
Your question

How much performance is lost between AGP 4x from AGP 8x?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2006 1:52:32 AM

I currently have a VERY VERY VERY ghetto compaq and have been trying to simply play Black and White 2. I also hope to make BF2 playable - it is choppy on lowest settings; about every 30 seconds the controls freeze in one direction for about 5 seconds, making for one hell of a helicopter ride.

My goal is to get a new graphics card to help hold me over until I'm ready to invest in a new computer. Hopefully I can survive another year with this unwanted bastard child of a 1.6ghz pc2100 400mhzFSB machine. I keep building computers for friends and feel like crying sometimes. Sometimes at night, I think of ending it all and i cut myse- errr, nevermind.

Anyways, I'm looking at the GFX card lists and have my eyes on some 4x/8x cards. I've had my eye on the SAPPHIRE 100131 Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM .

How much power will I lose running this thing at 4x?

BTW, I'm currently using a Geforce FX5500 256mb.
January 19, 2006 2:59:56 AM

Is this question really so stupid nobody wants to answer?
January 19, 2006 3:10:04 AM

Well obviously 8x is potentially twice as fast as 4x but the real question is if 4x is a bottleneck for the card in question. I'm sure someone that is really good at math could get into fill rates and bus bandwidth and give you an answer. Perhaps if I get really bored tonight I'll try to figure it out. I don't think it is an easy question to answer. If the card does not stress the 4x interface than 8x is not going to be any faster.
Related resources
January 19, 2006 4:18:32 AM

90% of the time you wouldn't notice a difference with ther naked eye.

In some very high-stress situations, like high resolution and high levels of AA, there might be up to a 10% difference. But it's not huge by any stretch of the imagination.

Basically, if you have a 4x AGP motherboard you want to keep with a decent processor, it's fine to buy an 8x AGP card.
January 19, 2006 4:34:22 AM

Well I tried to figure it all out and have had no luck from a math standpoint. AGP 4x bandwidth is 1056 MB/sec but I've not found any info on how much bandwidth is required by any givin card. It is a good question I'll continue to look into.
January 19, 2006 5:05:44 AM

Yeah I've been searching a while. That dang oil-filled PC distracted me for a while though. Laughing about the conspiracy theories; It's nothing but a marketing gimmick from Crisco!

As far as processors go, can my crappy 1.6ghz P4 work with this GFX card? Will I still feel a decent performance boost?
January 19, 2006 10:39:38 AM

I agree 4x and 8x really does not really make a big difference.

The 6600GT AGP is a decent card with good price/performance.

Obviously if you can afford it upgrade to an AMD64 socket 939 + nForce4 PCI-Express and a PCI-Express VGA card 6600GT / 6800GT / 7800GT PCI-Express.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishDetail.asp?ID=1841212

something like this perhaps for about $400 :-)
!