How to buy graphics card?

shane1234

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I'm in the beginining stages of building a custom system, and am trying to decide on a graphics card. I'll be going with an AMD X2 4200, but havn't decided on a mobo or GPU just yet. I am not looking for specific recomendations, but advice on what to look for when comparing cards. I can't afford the top of the line, but would like a decent card for editing photos, graphics and possibly in the future watching hi-def video. Right now I'm leaning towards a GeForce 6600 GT, but what else should i be looking for in a video card? How important is the manufacturer, since they all use the same chipset? I'm not a gamer either, so gaming performance isn't a big deal. Thanks for any advise!

Also, does anyone know where i could find a nice price:performance ratio chart for current video cards?

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
you could probably get a 6800 for just a little bit more than a 6600. I recommend going through a reputiable company like: asus, bfg, but you could probably get it a little bit cheaper going with another company, i recommend newegg.com. that is is where I buy all my computer parts. the shipping is pretty cheap for the most part and they will have it to you in 3 days.

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I'm in the beginining stages of building a custom system, and am trying to decide on a graphics card. I'll be going with an AMD X2 4200, but havn't decided on a mobo or GPU just yet. I am not looking for specific recomendations, but advice on what to look for when comparing cards. I can't afford the top of the line, but would like a decent card for editing photos, graphics and possibly in the future watching hi-def video. Right now I'm leaning towards a GeForce 6600 GT, but what else should i be looking for in a video card? How important is the manufacturer, since they all use the same chipset? I'm not a gamer either, so gaming performance isn't a big deal. Thanks for any advise!

Also, does anyone know where i could find a nice price:performance ratio chart for current video cards?

Fortunately, you shouldn't have to worry so much about graphics cards. Don't forget fast RAM, and lots of it.

From what I understand, ATI handles the hi-def video and whatnot better than Nvidia. Nvidia is more game-focused. Most 6600GTs seem to be around 130$.
GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128VP Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125175
There's a good card with VIVO and all the right TV-out connectors. I don't see any Radeons in that price range on newegg.
You're using PCI-Express of course?

shane1234

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Thanks for the replys, that definatly helps. I also forgot to mention, i occasionally work with LARGE poster-size image files this i print on a plotter at work. The last one, for example was over 1GB in an uncompressed format. That is where i currently have most of my problems, but a file that big would bog down just about any system i would imagine.

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I forgot to mention about the chart...

I usually use the one in the video card section of www.mysuperpc.com. The problem with that chart is that is doesn't cover benchmarks. Kind of a strange chart to use.

I've heard adrians rojack pot has card benchmark charts.