Sign in with
Your question

Should I buy this card? Will decide by Jan 20.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2006 3:04:58 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If you've noticed my other post, I'm looking for a card to run on my AGP4x interface. 4x sucks... i haven't found out quite how much yet.

This thing comes with 16 pipes unlocked and all the reviews look great! The memory clock is high, which I've heard can be important; and it doesn't have a 128-bit interface like I've heard about others. So, it might just be a genuine good deal.

Should I get?

EDIT: Added more time..

More about : buy card decide jan

January 19, 2006 3:17:21 AM

Ya thats a nice price dude id buy it for that oc it to 410/1100 and you have a Ultra you just need that artic cooler from newegg for 30$

NOT sure if it will be a true ultra cause it might use a different core but it will proform very nice for 200$
January 19, 2006 3:24:54 AM

Anyone else? I'm pretty certain I'm going to do this now - with Shata's reply.

The 4x still worries me.
Related resources
January 19, 2006 3:28:33 AM

Well the 4x will hurt you...But you will still score 4000 in 3dmark05 if not more im sure.. My old 6800gt oc'd to ultra did 5575
January 19, 2006 3:33:01 AM

Quote:
Well the 4x will hurt you...But you will still score 4000 in 3dmark05 if not more im sure.. My old 6800gt oc'd to ultra did 5575

There are some other nasty specs... 1.6ghz 478 pin intel proc. 512MB pc2100(and pc2700 that had to be underclocked). 400mhz FSB.

This card is momentary releif. I'm trying to make it another year before building a new system.
January 19, 2006 3:36:57 AM

6800 GS is a great card but what are you running now? Video i mean. The rest of your system is extreemely weak. In fact BF2 wont even install with <2ghz CPU. Id hold out maybe and do a PCIe replacement soon

Hide
January 19, 2006 3:47:18 AM

Right now I have a GeForce FX5500. Vertigo or something... from best buy.
I can get BF2 to run, but it isn't pretty. We're talking low resolution, low detail, everything as low as possible with small view distance. The game freezes my controls every 30 seconds, making it hard to fly helicopters expertly (I'm one of those heli-noobs) like I did in BFVietnam.

The card is 270/350. 256MB 128-bit bus DDR. 4 pixelpipelines; 2 vertex shaders; 1 pixel shader.
January 19, 2006 5:51:28 AM

I added more time to decide since nobody seems to be on this time of night. Will try checking responses in computer lab tommorow when I'm doing calculus homework in the morning. Then will check again after classes are all done. Then I'm going to force myself to decide before bedtime whether to get one and what kind if I do.
January 19, 2006 7:03:32 AM

Quote:
Well the 4x will hurt you...

Thats total bullsh**.

The AGP-mode does not make it slower since it is barely used. Most applications are still using AGB 2x so there´s no reason to worry.
January 19, 2006 1:50:26 PM

That card looks great; the AGP version of the 6800GS comes at a slower speed, as nVidia seems to be trying to hide the fact that PCI-express, on its own, currently has few real merits over AGP, so they simply make their AGP cards worse. However, that comes with all 16 pipelines, and at speeds at 370MHz, so in reality, you're getting a card between the 6800GT and 6800ultra.
January 19, 2006 3:05:16 PM

So I have ordered this exact card to run on an older 4X system too. An athlon XP1700+ - I know, very ugly. I am currently looking at a cheap processor upgrade to at least get over 2Ghz but in the meantime I plan to see what impact the BFG 6800GS can make on my PCs performance - current 3dmark03 score is 918 using a geforce3 Ti200. I love my old card, even running at stock this think has held its own in online play (even COD2) for nearly 4 years but the time has come. I'll post some benchmarks as soon as I get it and have it installed. Realistically I'm anticipating a jump to maybe 3500 on 03, anything more is a bonus. Supposedly this card DOES have the 16 pipes unlocked as stock.....joy.
January 19, 2006 3:21:37 PM

Ahh, someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.
Games are, in almost every case, the only thing that really uses the AGP bandwidth. 4x is plenty fast. I know PCI-E is 16x and people like to get off on that, but fact is that most games run faster on an AGP card and most games still run better on an 4x than an 8x. Some of the newer games actually have large enough textures that the 8x is advantageous, but not very many (Just Doom3 and Quake4 as Ultra High Res as far as I know).

So here's my take home message: Don't worry about the 4x! You'll be fine.
January 19, 2006 3:30:55 PM

Quote:
4x sucks... i haven't found out quite how much yet.

4x AGP does NOT suck, and you HAVE found out because you've been told!

It's wouldn't even lower your 3dmark05 score by more than 50 points under an 8x AGP interface.

If that card is truly 16 pipes unlocked, it is the cat's a$$. Pick it up immediately.
January 19, 2006 3:32:55 PM

I Disagree but whatever, Get it anyways, but your going to be mad when you upgrade your whole pc cause you have to buy a old agp board instead of getting a new pcie board
January 19, 2006 3:41:26 PM

Previous posts are not too wrong Shata. Yes, theory says that 4X will depreciate performance compared to AGP 8X and the same for 8X versus PCI-E but that theory is based on all things being equal. Sadly, that is not the case. Stock memory and core levels have typically been kept lower in AGP models compared to PCI-E models. Second, most of the cards being released on AGP interface now are from PCI-E designs. Third, benchmarking comparisons between AGP and PCI-E systems is always going to be challenging anyway. So the long and the short of it is - interface technology is likely less indicative of performance at present than your total system specs and the quality of your video card. This is all way off the initial post - the key here is the 6800GS from BFG. I'd be interested to here from anyone who has managed to get hold of the XFX version of the AGP 6800GS that has the higher clock settings at stock. If anyone other than a BFG sales rep can confirm that their card has 16 pipes at stock then please post too.
January 19, 2006 4:23:44 PM

I would also note that the bandwidth availible for the video card will likely depend a bit on how much of the textures must be buffered in the system RAM; the AGP design generally calls for, when the card is really being used, some of the system RAM to be set aside for an "AGP aperture," effectively extending its own memory. Then again, we know well enough how this performs. With a 256MB video card, that would be enough for all but the highest settings PLUS AF in a few select games, so at that point, the bandwidth usage would be very minimal, with, in theory, AGP 1x possibly being enough. With a 512MB video card, I'd imagine that PCI-express bandwidth being mostly wasted, unless, of course, you're using two 512MB cards in SLi. (not neccessarily the 7800GTX 512)
Quote:
So I have ordered this exact card to run on an older 4X system too. An athlon XP1700+ - I know, very ugly. I am currently looking at a cheap processor upgrade to at least get over 2Ghz but in the meantime I plan to see what impact the BFG 6800GS can make on my PCs performance - current 3dmark03 score is 918 using a geforce3 Ti200. I love my old card, even running at stock this think has held its own in online play (even COD2) for nearly 4 years but the time has come. I'll post some benchmarks as soon as I get it and have it installed. Realistically I'm anticipating a jump to maybe 3500 on 03, anything more is a bonus. Supposedly this card DOES have the 16 pipes unlocked as stock.....joy.

Ah, sounds similar to a story I know of, my brother having an X850XT PE with his 2400+. (the card was given to him anyway, and to say it was an improvement over his old 9600XT would've been an understatement) However, I suspect the performance bottleneck isn't so much the AGP 4x slot, but rather, the 266MHz FSB of the pre-Barton AthlonXPs.
January 19, 2006 4:57:11 PM

Quote:
I Disagree but whatever

On what point do you disagree? That 4x AGP performs the same as 8x AGP?

On what evidence do you base this disagreement? There are quite a few 4x AGP vs 8x AGP reviews out there that show the difference is minimal, if any.
January 19, 2006 5:09:41 PM

Quote:
Third, benchmarking comparisons between AGP and PCI-E systems is always going to be challenging anyway.

Here are some benches on the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD - a 939dual-SATA2 that has both PCI-express & AGP busses - using AGP & PCI-express versions of 6800 ULTRAs, both with identical clockspeeds:

There are more, sometimes with a slightly higher difference in scores but the biggest difference was 8%, and that was an anomaly.

I've even seen benches where the AGP version of an equally clocked card beats the PCI-express version. Not much mind you, the differences are always a very small margin, probably attributable to margin of error.

Based on that, no, AGP & PCI-express busses don't really make any impact on performance.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2006 7:22:33 PM

"Well the 4x will hurt you"

With the advent of AGP8x a few years back, there was less than 1/2% performance hit with AGP8x boards using an AGP4x interface....
January 20, 2006 1:55:20 AM

Will my crappy 1.6ghz processor be able to keep this sucker under load?

Anyways, I'm purchasing it right now. Looks great.

Saw your review there dekk :) . Is this thread what led you to buy it? Strange that all the reviews are from the past 2 days or so. Maybe we're snatching up the last ones?

Newegg earlier had it listed as 16 pipes, but they changed it after a reviewer noticed.
January 20, 2006 2:07:50 AM

I don't mean to draw away attention from this topic, but how come there isn't a 6800GS PCI-E from BFG yet? Are they focusing on just their 7800s now?

Tylerthedruid: For AGP, the 6800GS is the best nVidia card you can get (unless you can find a 6800 Ultra in AGP, which is very rare)
January 20, 2006 2:31:43 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to draw away attention from this topic, but how come there isn't a 6800GS PCI-E from BFG yet? Are they focusing on just their 7800s now?

Tylerthedruid: For AGP, the 6800GS is the best nVidia card you can get (unless you can find a 6800 Ultra in AGP, which is very rare)

Wow, That's pretty awesome. I'm downloading tutorials on unlocking pipeplines. Thx for the help all
January 20, 2006 3:11:06 AM

That Should Do You Justice For Now... But Id Get A Bit More Value Out Of It With A Nice Overclock
January 20, 2006 4:35:08 AM

Quote:
That Should Do You Justice For Now... But Id Get A Bit More Value Out Of It With A Nice Overclock

Oh definitely. Since the NV40 chip is from a stronger card anyways, it shouldn't have any extreme problems...
January 22, 2006 3:40:34 PM

Actually no I had already ordered when I saw this thread, but it's been nice to see that other people were drawn to what looks like a great deal.
I was really surprised to see the price of the BFG 680GS AGP go up so quickly - within 48h it was $25 more and $40 more within 72h! I won't complain seeing as I got in there early but if I was buying today I'd probably choose the XFX version. I am a little gutted that FedEx didn't get my delivery here Friday, I now have to wait until tomorrow before I can start living life above 640x 480 again! BTW, it seems the stock 16 pipe was a myth but based on the same NV40 design it does seem that most of these cards will be unlockable ok. Anyone got any benchmarks yet? If no posts by Tuesday I'll get mine up but remember the rest of my system is pretty ancient.
p.s. Get those beta drivers (82.12) direct from nvidia before installing this beast.
January 24, 2006 12:25:56 AM

I'm definitely convinced that 4x will be fine. The bandwidth and software arguments are stronger than the speed one.

I'm a little worried about the 1.7ghz processor holding me back, as well as the weak RAM.

Two years ago I had a hard time with battlefield vietnam with a Geforce2 series card, and felt very little improvement when I upgraded the GFX to the Geforce FX5500. RAM helped me a lot more.

Will the games improve AT ALL when I'm still limited by this processor?

Here's the tracking
http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/TrackOrder.asp?Tr...

anticipating it very impatiently!
!