Problem installing Terminal Server on SBS2003 Std.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 4, 2004 8:12:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I have a client which I installed SBS2003 std. as the only server on the
network, so as you know it's the domain controller, exchange server, etc.
They're a small outfit and would like to be able to access one peice of
software remotely, which a great candidate for Terminal Services. So I tried
installing through the Add/Remove components applet like you did in Win2k,
but it's not there? Terminal Services Licensing is there, and I can enable
Remote Administration throught the computer properties Remote tab, but for
the life of me can't find where to enable the Terminal Server? I know it's
supposed to be there according to Microsoft's white paper, but it's not.
Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanx-
Bob
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 6:25:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

This is by design. SBS 2003 does not support TS in Application
mode anymore.

From the SBS 2003 FAQ at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo...
eneralfaq.mspx

<quote>
Q. Can I run Terminal Services in Application Server mode on
Windows Small Business Server 2003?

A. No. It is not possible to run Terminal Services in Application
Server mode on Windows Small Business Server 2003. This is a
change from Small Business Server 2000. Running Terminal Services
in Application Server mode on a domain controller may present a
security risk to your network. If you want to use Terminal
Services in Application Server mode, we recommend that you
purchase an additional Windows Server 2003 license and install an
additional server running Windows Server into the Windows Small
Business Server 2003 domain. For more information, see "Deploying
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server to Host User Desktops in a
Windows Small Business Server 2003 Environment" on the Product
Documentation page.
</quote>

--
Vera Noest