General question about using CD's

I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
transfer it to my computer later.
I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
I'm having no problems with it right now.
What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
me.
I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
things right to them.
Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
without formatting it in Nero?
Thanks much,
Dudley
33 answers Last reply
More about general question

    Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs use
    the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your friends
    machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc. You must
    understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from each other.

    Bobby

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
    > it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    > Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
    > me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    > plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    > transfer it to my computer later.
    > I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
    > I'm having no problems with it right now.
    > What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
    > my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    > He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
    > transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    > He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
    > me.
    > I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
    > computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
    > things right to them.
    > Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
    > wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
    > without formatting it in Nero?
    > Thanks much,
    > Dudley

    Just give him a $0.10 blank CD-R, save your RWs for your
    machine.

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
    message news:eRZtFTzhEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it
    might be as
    | it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    | Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg
    program file for
    | me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too
    slow. The
    | plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I
    would
    | transfer it to my computer later.
    | I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I
    need back up.
    | I'm having no problems with it right now.
    | What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and
    give that CD to
    | my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    | He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but
    when he went to
    | transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't
    transfer.
    | He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave
    that one to
    | me.
    | I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording
    program on his
    | computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but
    just copies
    | things right to them.
    | Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD
    disk I gave him
    | wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him
    a blank CDRW
    | without formatting it in Nero?
    | Thanks much,
    | Dudley

    Thank you Jim. I figured it was that way but I didn't realize that if
    you format in InCD you are stuck with just that program. Actually, I'm
    just learning how things relate with the CD's, as I don't use them all
    that much and am unfamiliar with the idiosyncrasies of the technology
    and software required and how each relates to the other.
    I had no idea you could use a blank disk without formatting it. I'm
    learning bit by bit :-)

    > Just give him a $0.10 blank CD-R, save your RWs for your
    > machine.

    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:eRZtFTzhEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > | I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it
    > might be as
    > | it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    > | Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg
    > program file for
    > | me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too
    > slow. The
    > | plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I
    > would
    > | transfer it to my computer later.
    > | I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I
    > need back up.
    > | I'm having no problems with it right now.
    > | What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and
    > give that CD to
    > | my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    > | He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but
    > when he went to
    > | transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't
    > transfer.
    > | He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave
    > that one to
    > | me.
    > | I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording
    > program on his
    > | computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but
    > just copies
    > | things right to them.
    > | Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD
    > disk I gave him
    > | wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him
    > a blank CDRW
    > | without formatting it in Nero?
    > | Thanks much,
    > | Dudley

    Many thanks for this tidbit!
    I understand now what was wrong. I use the CDRW's on my machine for
    backup and naturally I need to format in INCD to do that. Since InCD
    doesn't support CDR's, it never dawned on me that all I needed to give
    my friend was a blank CDR. I've never even used a CDR :-))
    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    > otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs
    use
    > the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your
    friends
    > machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc. You
    must
    > understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from each
    other.

    > Bobby
    >
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be
    as
    > > it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    > > Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file
    for
    > > me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    > > plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    > > transfer it to my computer later.
    > > I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back
    up.
    > > I'm having no problems with it right now.
    > > What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD
    > > my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    > > He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he
    went to
    > > transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    > > He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one
    > > me.
    > > I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on
    his
    > > computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just
    copies
    > > things right to them.
    > > Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave
    him
    > > wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank
    CDRW
    > > without formatting it in Nero?
    > > Thanks much,
    > > Dudley

    Hi Dudley. check out Alex Nichol's site for great info on burning CDs
    http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm I have more links and information here
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm at this page on my site.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Many thanks for this tidbit!
    > I understand now what was wrong. I use the CDRW's on my machine for
    > backup and naturally I need to format in INCD to do that. Since InCD
    > doesn't support CDR's, it never dawned on me that all I needed to give
    > my friend was a blank CDR. I've never even used a CDR :-))
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    >> otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs
    > use
    >> the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your
    > friends
    >> machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc. You
    > must
    >> understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from each
    > other.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be
    > as
    >> > it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    >> > Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file
    > for
    >> > me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    >> > plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    >> > transfer it to my computer later.
    >> > I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back
    > up.
    >> > I'm having no problems with it right now.
    >> > What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD
    >> > my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    >> > He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he
    > went to
    >> > transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    >> > He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one
    >> > me.
    >> > I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on
    > his
    >> > computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just
    > copies
    >> > things right to them.
    >> > Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave
    > him
    >> > wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank
    > CDRW
    >> > without formatting it in Nero?
    >> > Thanks much,
    >> > Dudley

    Much thanks Harry. I appreciate it very much. I'll check out everything
    suggested.
    Dudley

    Here you go NoBadDog http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    > otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs use
    > the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your friends
    > machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc. You must
    > understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from each other.
    >
    > Bobby

    You might try and make sure you know what you're talking about before
    posting. XP has no problem with CD-RWs--it will write them and erase
    them. Unless the disc has been formatted for packet writing (with InCD,
    for example), XP treats an RW the same as a CD-R.

    Yes, I understand your point, but the OP said he formatted the disc with
    InCD for packet writing. I posted an answer as to why the other computer
    could not see a CD-RW formatted for InCD packet writing. Now back off....

    Bobby

    > Here you go NoBadDog http://www.cdrfaq.org/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    >> otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs use
    >> the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your
    >> friends machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc.
    >> You must understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from
    >> each other.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
    >>> it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    >>> Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
    >>> me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    >>> plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    >>> transfer it to my computer later.
    >>> I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
    >>> I'm having no problems with it right now.
    >>> What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
    >>> my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    >>> He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
    >>> transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    >>> He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
    >>> me.
    >>> I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
    >>> computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
    >>> things right to them.
    >>> Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
    >>> wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
    >>> without formatting it in Nero?
    >>> Thanks much,
    >>> Dudley

    I would recommend reading the entire thread before posting...

    Bobby

    > Here you go NoBadDog http://www.cdrfaq.org/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    >> otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs use
    >> the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your
    >> friends machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc.
    >> You must understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from
    >> each other.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
    >>> it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    >>> Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
    >>> me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    >>> plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    >>> transfer it to my computer later.
    >>> I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
    >>> I'm having no problems with it right now.
    >>> What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
    >>> my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    >>> He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
    >>> transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    >>> He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
    >>> me.
    >>> I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
    >>> computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
    >>> things right to them.
    >>> Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
    >>> wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
    >>> without formatting it in Nero?
    >>> Thanks much,
    >>> Dudley

    Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.

    Only a fool would use InCD.

    Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can read it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most
    computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.

    Only a fool would use InCD.

    Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can read
    it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.

    Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at least begins to
    answer what I was asking. Not being an "idiot", I'll figure the rest of
    it out myself.
    Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    Dudley Henriques
    Past President
    International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    Director Special Projects
    Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    (and according to you, an idiot :-)

    All the best, and thank you again.
    DH

    Dudley Henriques wrote:

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most
    > computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.
    >
    > Only a fool would use InCD.
    >
    > Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can read
    > it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.
    >
    > Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at least begins to
    > answer what I was asking. Not being an "idiot", I'll figure the rest of
    > it out myself.
    > Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    > Dudley Henriques
    > Past President
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > Director Special Projects
    > Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    > Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    > (and according to you, an idiot :-)
    >
    > All the best, and thank you again.
    > DH

    While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave something to be
    desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that you fly
    airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in general, an
    idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After all, the
    Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew airplanes (and still
    jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.

    "Herb Fritatta" <Herb@dontspam.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >
    > > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most
    > > computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.
    > >
    > > Only a fool would use InCD.
    > >
    > > Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can
    read
    > > it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.
    > >
    > > Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at least begins
    > > answer what I was asking. Not being an "idiot", I'll figure the rest
    of
    > > it out myself.
    > > Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    > > Dudley Henriques
    > > Past President
    > > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > > Director Special Projects
    > > Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    > > Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    > > (and according to you, an idiot :-)
    > >
    > > All the best, and thank you again.
    > > DH
    > >

    > While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave something to be
    > desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that you fly
    > airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in general, an
    > idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After all, the
    > Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew airplanes (and
    still
    > jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.

    Any "idiot can fly an airplane. In fact, a lot of them do! It takes
    intelligence however, to have flown them in the environment I did for
    fifty years and survive the experience. :-)
    No big deal really. Just thought it might make a point where a point was
    warranted :-)
    DH

    It is Ok to make mistakes. I make plenty of them. However when a mistake is
    pointed out you may want to learn from it rather than become indignant.

    You might want to re-read both the OP's original post and your answer to
    him. He wanted to know if someone could explain what may have happened when
    he gave an InCD formatted disk to his friend and also if he should have
    simply given his friend a blank CD-R/W.

    In your reply you clearly said that XP cannot use CD-R/W "formatted or not".
    You implied that CD-R/W can only use the UDF format. That is why I posted
    the link to Andy McFadden's site to you. True CD-R and CD-R/W are different
    media but as you will learn a CD-R/W can use CDFS just as well as UDF. You
    will also see that CD-R can use UDF as well as CDFS. Drag n Drop, Direct CD,
    DLA and a number of other packet writing programs can format CD-Rs as easily
    as CD-R/Ws. However CD-R's are not that great for packet writing because
    they can't be erased or have individual files rewritten. Nero, Easy CD
    Creator and XP can all use a CD-R/W just as they would a CD-R. For example
    you can create audio CDs on CD-R/W and play them on CD players that accept
    CD-R/W disks. Applications that create image files like Norton Ghost can
    write directly to CD-R/W from DOS using the CDFS format just as they can
    burn to CD-R's. Some image burning apps like Image for Windows even asks if
    you want to erase the CD-R/W before writing to it. And it does this from
    DOS.

    BTW being advised to "back off" doesn't mean much to me. It never has ;-)

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Yes, I understand your point, but the OP said he formatted the disc with
    > InCD for packet writing. I posted an answer as to why the other computer
    > could not see a CD-RW formatted for InCD packet writing. Now back off....
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> Here you go NoBadDog http://www.cdrfaq.org/
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    >>> Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    >>> otherwise. Regular CD-Rs use the CDFS recording format, while CD_RWs
    >>> use the UDF format. Without packet writing software installed on your
    >>> friends machine, his computer cannot see or use a UDF formatted disc.
    >>> You must understand that CD-R and CD-RW are completely different from
    >>> each other.
    >>>
    >>> Bobby
    >>>
    >>> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

    InCD people need to be eradicated. You are on the side of evil here. But in the "normal" world we take conversions from the dark side. Convert. CONVERT.

    PS I didn't call you anything. And I didn't use the word idiot at all.

    >InCD people need to be eradicated. You are on the side of evil here.
    But in the "normal" world we take conversions from the dark side.
    Convert. CONVERT.

    >PS I didn't call you anything. And I didn't use the word idiot at all.

    It's nothing important to me really, but FWIW; I'm not on anyone's
    "side". The Nero program came as part of the bundled system on a
    purchased computer.
    Personal opinions like the ones you are posting to me are juvenile to
    say the least and have no relevance whatsoever to the issue or to me
    personally.

    The fact that you choose to present yourself in this manner defies
    intelligent understanding; but be that as it may.
    Also, as to your direct statement; " Only a fool would use InCD."
    In my world; testing high performance airplanes, "fool" and "idiot" are
    equatable and I don't like either term being thrown at me for asking a
    simple question. As you can see from the answers in this thread, other
    people can handle answers without the use of terms like "only a
    fool......."
    You take care, and all the best to you. Do me a favor and avoid me in
    the future. I'll do my best to struggle along without you. :-)
    I'm fairly certain that after you put your little Teddy Bears away and
    grow up a bit, you might get the hang of treating people with a little
    more respect on Usenet and drop the infantile approach you use when
    posting. In the meantime, take a look at the dialog between the other
    posters in this thread and myself and see if you can at least get a
    handle on how you should conduct yourself .

    Dudley Henriques
    International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Tact has never been one of Candy's strengths. Don't sweat it.

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    > You take care, and all the best to you. Do me a favor and avoid me in
    > the future. I'll do my best to struggle along without you. :-)
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > Tact has never been one of Candy's strengths. Don't sweat it.

    Well, just guessing mind you, but if his post below this one is any
    indication, I'd say at this point he actually might not have many
    strengths to worry about :-))
    Anyway, I'll just wish him well and let him pass in the night unnoticed
    and forgotten.
    All the best,
    DH
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Herb Fritatta wrote:
    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >
    >> Windows native CD burning support does not support CD-RW, formatted or
    >> otherwise.

    <Snip>

    That's your statement, numbnuts, and it's absolutely wrong. You've
    posted the same misguided bullshit before, and you've been corrected,
    and you still keep posting. This has gone beyond just ignorance.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If you were a test train driver you would change the gauge every 100 meters and wonder why your train kept derailing, but you would also encourage others to design railways with different gauges too.

    I'm a software test pilot, and you are unlicensed here. But you still think you know better. As you must have been incompetent (as you think you know better) I'm surprised you are still alive. I can see you arguing with the engineer, insisting that as diesel will work in your brothers Mack it will also work in the jet engine.

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:OVuadO5hEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > "Herb Fritatta" <Herb@dontspam.com> wrote in message
    > > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > >
    > > > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most
    > > > computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.
    > > >
    > > > Only a fool would use InCD.
    > > >
    > > > Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can
    > read
    > > > it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.
    > > >
    > > > Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at least begins
    > > > answer what I was asking. Not being an "idiot", I'll figure the rest
    > of
    > > > it out myself.
    > > > Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    > > > Dudley Henriques
    > > > Past President
    > > > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > > > Director Special Projects
    > > > Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    > > > Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    > > > (and according to you, an idiot :-)
    > > >
    > > > All the best, and thank you again.
    > > > DH
    > > >

    > > While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave something to be
    > > desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that you fly
    > > airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in general, an
    > > idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After all, the
    > > Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew airplanes (and
    > still
    > > jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.
    >
    > Any "idiot can fly an airplane. In fact, a lot of them do! It takes
    > intelligence however, to have flown them in the environment I did for
    > fifty years and survive the experience. :-)
    > No big deal really. Just thought it might make a point where a point was
    > warranted :-)
    > DH

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Herb Fritatta wrote:

    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >
    >> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most
    >> computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.
    >>
    >> Only a fool would use InCD.
    >>
    >> Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can read
    >> it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.
    >>
    >> Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at least begins to
    >> answer what I was asking. Not being an "idiot", I'll figure the rest of
    >> it out myself.
    >> Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    >> Dudley Henriques
    >> Past President
    >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >> Director Special Projects
    >> Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    >> Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    >> (and according to you, an idiot :-)
    >>
    >> All the best, and thank you again.
    >> DH
    >>

    > While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave something to be
    > desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that you fly
    > airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in general, an
    > idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After all, the
    > Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew airplanes (and still
    > jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.

    I take strong objection to your describing these two Bushes as "idiots."
    That is an insult to all idiots. An idiot, by definition, is an
    ignorant person. Ignorant, of course, means lacking knowledge. I would
    suggest that the Commander-in-Chief is a moron. By definition that
    would be a person having a mental capacity of an 8 to 12 year old, and
    being able to do routine work under supervision (Republicans thank God
    every day for Carl Rove).

    Dubya is my idea of the ideal sorority, er, fraternity president. He is
    absolutely qualified for that job.

    Since this is OT, my apologies to ACF. My sympathy to the "Bushies" for
    having to support a person of such limited intectually capacity.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    TedK wrote:

    > Herb Fritatta wrote:
    >
    >> Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >>
    >>> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can write (so most
    >>> computers can't write to) and that most computers can't read.
    >>>
    >>> Only a fool would use InCD.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in the world can read
    >>> it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to it.
    >>>
    >>> Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at least begins to
    >>> answer what I was asking. Not being an "idiot", I'll figure the rest of
    >>> it out myself.
    >>> Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    >>> Dudley Henriques
    >>> Past President
    >>> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >>> Director Special Projects
    >>> Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    >>> Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    >>> (and according to you, an idiot :-)
    >>>
    >>> All the best, and thank you again.
    >>> DH
    >>>

    >> While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave something to be
    >> desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that you fly
    >> airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in general, an
    >> idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After all, the
    >> Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew airplanes (and
    >> still jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.
    >

    > I take strong objection to your describing these two Bushes as "idiots."
    > That is an insult to all idiots. An idiot, by definition, is an
    > ignorant person. Ignorant, of course, means lacking knowledge. I would
    > suggest that the Commander-in-Chief is a moron. By definition that
    > would be a person having a mental capacity of an 8 to 12 year old, and
    > being able to do routine work under supervision (Republicans thank God
    > every day for Carl Rove).
    >
    > Dubya is my idea of the ideal sorority, er, fraternity president. He is
    > absolutely qualified for that job.
    >
    > Since this is OT, my apologies to ACF. My sympathy to the "Bushies" for
    > having to support a person of such limited intectually capacity.

    Nor argument with "moron." But remember, there can be multiple causes
    for ignorance.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Century Series fight pilot F-102
    Masters Degree MBA

    I kind of like the idea that the liberals and democrats are
    fixated on the claim that W is stupid, ignorant, idiot or
    moron, it means they will never understand why he beats them
    at every turn.

    "TedK" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    | Herb Fritatta wrote:
    |
    | > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    | >
    | >> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >> Well why would you gve him a CD that only InCD can
    write (so most
    | >> computers can't write to) and that most computers can't
    read.

    | >> Only a fool would use InCD.
    | >>
    | >> Yes, give him a blank one and 99% of the computers in
    the world can read
    | >> it. And all XP computers with a RW drive can write to
    it.

    | >> Well....thank you for the last sentence anyway. That at
    least begins to
    | >> answer what I
    wasasking.Notbeinganidiot,I'llfiguretherestof
    | >> it out myself.
    | >> Thank you so much for your courteous reply. :-)
    | >> Dudley Henriques
    | >> Past President
    | >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    | >> Director Special Projects
    | >> Combat Pilots Association of the United States
    | >> Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    | >> (and according to you, an idiot :-)
    | >>
    | >> All the best, and thank you again.
    | >> DH
    | >>

    | > While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave
    something to be
    | > desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that
    you fly
    | > airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in
    general, an
    | > idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After
    all, the
    | > Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew
    airplanes (and still
    | > jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.
    |
    | I take strong objection to your describing these two
    Bushes as "idiots."
    | That is an insult to all idiots. An idiot, by
    definition, is an
    | ignorant person. Ignorant, of course, means lacking
    knowledge. I would
    | suggest that the Commander-in-Chief is a moron. By
    definition that
    | would be a person having a mental capacity of an 8 to 12
    year old, and
    | being able to do routine work under supervision
    (Republicans thank God
    | every day for Carl Rove).
    |
    | Dubya is my idea of the ideal sorority, er, fraternity
    president. He is
    | absolutely qualified for that job.
    |
    | Since this is OT, my apologies to ACF. My sympathy to the
    "Bushies" for
    | having to support a person of such limited intectually
    capacity.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I also find it amusing that the dems and the libs cannot see the inherent
    weakness of the alternative to W. He wants to have "sensitive dialogue"
    with terrorists. These are people who are determined to do what it takes to
    achieve thier goals. We might as well put bin Laden in the White House.

    Bobby

    > Century Series fight pilot F-102
    > Masters Degree MBA
    >
    > I kind of like the idea that the liberals and democrats are
    > fixated on the claim that W is stupid, ignorant, idiot or
    > moron, it means they will never understand why he beats them
    > at every turn.

    > "TedK" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    > | Herb Fritatta wrote:

    > write (so most
    > read.

    > the world can read
    > it.

    > least begins to
    > wasasking.Notbeinganidiot,I'llfiguretherestof

    > | > While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave
    > something to be
    > | > desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that
    > you fly
    > | > airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in
    > general, an
    > | > idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After
    > all, the
    > | > Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew
    > airplanes (and still
    > | > jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.
    > |
    > | I take strong objection to your describing these two
    > Bushes as "idiots."
    > | That is an insult to all idiots. An idiot, by
    > definition, is an
    > | ignorant person. Ignorant, of course, means lacking
    > knowledge. I would
    > | suggest that the Commander-in-Chief is a moron. By
    > definition that
    > | would be a person having a mental capacity of an 8 to 12
    > year old, and
    > | being able to do routine work under supervision
    > (Republicans thank God
    > | every day for Carl Rove).
    > |
    > | Dubya is my idea of the ideal sorority, er, fraternity
    > president. He is
    > | absolutely qualified for that job.
    > |
    > | Since this is OT, my apologies to ACF. My sympathy to the
    > "Bushies" for
    > | having to support a person of such limited intectually
    > capacity.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    He's not stupid, he is evil.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:ecbWBOMiEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Century Series fight pilot F-102
    > Masters Degree MBA
    >
    > I kind of like the idea that the liberals and democrats are
    > fixated on the claim that W is stupid, ignorant, idiot or
    > moron, it means they will never understand why he beats them
    > at every turn.

    > "TedK" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    > | Herb Fritatta wrote:

    > write (so most
    > read.

    > the world can read
    > it.

    > least begins to
    > wasasking.Notbeinganidiot,I'llfiguretherestof

    > | > While Mr. Candy's general demeanor does indeed leave
    > something to be
    > | > desired, I can't understand why you think the fact that
    > you fly
    > | > airplanes has any bearing on whether or not you are, in
    > general, an
    > | > idiot (and I'm not saying that you are, mind you). After
    > all, the
    > | > Commander-in-Chief is an idiot. And his father flew
    > airplanes (and still
    > | > jumps out of them) and *he's* an idiot.
    > |
    > | I take strong objection to your describing these two
    > Bushes as "idiots."
    > | That is an insult to all idiots. An idiot, by
    > definition, is an
    > | ignorant person. Ignorant, of course, means lacking
    > knowledge. I would
    > | suggest that the Commander-in-Chief is a moron. By
    > definition that
    > | would be a person having a mental capacity of an 8 to 12
    > year old, and
    > | being able to do routine work under supervision
    > (Republicans thank God
    > | every day for Carl Rove).
    > |
    > | Dubya is my idea of the ideal sorority, er, fraternity
    > president. He is
    > | absolutely qualified for that job.
    > |
    > | Since this is OT, my apologies to ACF. My sympathy to the
    > "Bushies" for
    > | having to support a person of such limited intectually
    > capacity.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Asking Al Queda to fly planes into your buildings is keeping your
    country safe? Please don't come here - we don't need your safety.

    OK DC ; I'll engage you for a post or two. You puzzle me if nothing else
    :-)
    Define for the group if you will please, how the following post,
    >Poster writes;

    "I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
    it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
    me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    transfer it to my computer later.
    I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
    I'm having no problems with it right now.
    What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
    my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
    transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
    me.
    I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
    computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
    things right to them.
    Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
    wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
    without formatting it in Nero?
    Thanks much,
    Dudley"

    ......equates in your mind to "asking Al Queda to fly airplanes into
    buildings"? :-)

    Dudley Henriques
    International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired

    For personal email, please
    replace the at with what goes there and
    take out the Z's please!
    dhenriquesZatZearthZlinkZdotZnet
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Your friend must have a CD-RW drive and also may have to have InCD installed
    to use the CD-RW you formatted for him. If you gave him an unformatted
    CD-RW or a CD-R he could have placed the file on it. I'd suspect your
    friend does not have a CD-RW drive or is not aware of how to use UDF packet
    writing software to format and use a CD-RW as intended. If he has a CD-R
    drive and is buying CD-RW CD's and using them like CD-R's he is wasting his
    money unless he plans to upgrade in the future. If he has a CD-RW and is
    purchasing CD-RW CD's and using them like CD-R CD's he is again wasting his
    money. Basically a formatted CD-RW looks like a coffee coaster to a system
    that doesn't have the software and hardware capable of seeing what it really
    is. The best way to describe it is it appears full, finalized and void of
    any files. I imagine that there are also incompatibilities between
    different UDF packet writing software to but I wouldn't know as I've always
    used Nero. XP's default program is adequate for anyone with a CD-R but is
    useless for use on CD-RW disks.

    > "I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
    > it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    > Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
    > me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    > plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    > transfer it to my computer later.
    > I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
    > I'm having no problems with it right now.
    > What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
    > my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    > He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
    > transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    > He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
    > me.
    > I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
    > computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
    > things right to them.
    > Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
    > wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
    > without formatting it in Nero?
    > Thanks much,
    > Dudley"
    >
    > .....equates in your mind to "asking Al Queda to fly airplanes into
    > buildings"? :-)
    >
    > Dudley Henriques
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    >
    > For personal email, please
    > replace the at with what goes there and
    > take out the Z's please!
    > dhenriquesZatZearthZlinkZdotZnet

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thank you Bernie, for the reply. I appreciate it.
    The problem wasn't my friend's drive, but rather my own lack of detailed
    knowledge on exactly what's involved with CD's generally.
    I have a Hypersonic high end computer that came with both Roxio and InCD
    already installed on it. I've had a real time learning how everything
    interrelates. I got rid of the Roxio because of an alleged Apeptec
    driver conflict and decided to stay with Nero because I use the drive
    for data backup that needs "adjustment" from time to time.
    I knew that XP has a burning program but have it unchecked in "allow
    recording" as per Hypersonic's instructions.
    Up Until last week, I was having a problem with InCD. It was crashing
    the box during the disk formatting procedure. The new version BTW
    corrected that!
    I posted my question here because I didn't realize that formatting the
    CDRW in InCD would require another computer to have InCD installed to
    use the disk. Reason for this was because I have had other people burn
    something on a CDR on their computer; give me the disk and then I've
    opened it and been able to work with it on my computer which has the XP
    program unchecked, but InCD installed.
    It never dawned on me that it wouldn't work in reverse :-))
    Thank you very much for taking the time to explain things. I've learned
    a lot here about CD's from some very good people.....one exception noted
    of course! :-))))
    Thanks again.
    Dudley

    "Bernie" <simmons@classicnet.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    went to
    > > transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    > > He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one
    > > me.
    > > I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on
    his
    > > computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just
    copies
    > > things right to them.
    > > Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave
    him
    > > wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank
    CDRW
    > > without formatting it in Nero?
    > > Thanks much,
    > > Dudley"
    > >
    > > .....equates in your mind to "asking Al Queda to fly airplanes into

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    (who incidentally and simply by sheer coincidence is actually the
    antithesis of your opinion of him, and is quite deeply involved in
    keeping his country a safe place to be!:-)

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:uOVgfQUiEHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Asking Al Queda to fly planes into your buildings is keeping your
    > country safe? Please don't come here - we don't need your safety.
    >
    > OK DC ; I'll engage you for a post or two. You puzzle me if nothing else
    > :-)
    > Define for the group if you will please, how the following post,
    > >Poster writes;
    >
    > "I hope this question is ok for this group. I'm assuming it might be as
    > it involves XP's default CD program and CD's.
    > Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine to download a 50meg program file for
    > me on his high speed connection because my dial up was too slow. The
    > plan was for him to put the file on a CD for me and then I would
    > transfer it to my computer later.
    > I have Nero InCD installed and use that for my CDRW when I need back up.
    > I'm having no problems with it right now.
    > What I did was format a new blank TDK CDRW in InCD and give that CD to
    > my friend to use after he downloaded the file.
    > He explained to me today that the file downloaded ok but when he went to
    > transfer it to the CD I had given him, it wouldn't transfer.
    > He used a blank CD of his own to put the file on and gave that one to
    > me.
    > I think my friend just uses the supplied XP CD recording program on his
    > computer. He tells me that he doesn't format his discs but just copies
    > things right to them.
    > Can someone please tell me why the formatted Nero InCD disk I gave him
    > wouldn't work on his machine? Should I just have given him a blank CDRW
    > without formatting it in Nero?
    > Thanks much,
    > Dudley"
    >
    > .....equates in your mind to "asking Al Queda to fly airplanes into
    > buildings"? :-)
    >
    > Dudley Henriques
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    > Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
    >
    > For personal email, please
    > replace the at with what goes there and
    > take out the Z's please!
    > dhenriquesZatZearthZlinkZdotZnet

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    (who incidentally and simply by sheer coincidence is actually the
    antithesis of your opinion of him, and is quite deeply involved in
    keeping his country a safe place to be!:-)

    Is THIS your answer? What is restating the obvious to do with anything
    you have been discussing?
    Listen up Candy, not that it will matter much to you, but you have
    absolutely no idea of how funny this whole thread has become. I only
    wish I could tell you who's sitting here with me reading this, but never
    mind; it's not all that important anyway. But let's continue this shall
    we.....just a bit longer.
    Come on ole' buddy; let's have some more. I'll repeat again for you.
    State what the initial post or ANYTHING posted by me in this thread has
    to do AT ALL with flying airplanes into buildings. Better still....paste
    in the relevant comment for the group!
    Go for it! :-)
    Dudley Henriques
    International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired

    For personal email, please
    replace the at with what goes there and
    take out the Z's please!
    dhenriquesZatZearthZlinkZdotZnet
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    David Candy wrote:
    > I have twice now.

    I must say that I've had more fun reading this thread than anything else
    I've seen on Usenet in a long time. I figured that my
    less-than-complimentary reference to W and his dad might evoke a little
    bit of knee-jerking, but this is amazing.

    Messrs. Macklin, NoNo, et al, why not see if you can get someone to help
    you take the hook out of your mouth.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    The Warlords of America
    Bvsh May Be the Lesser Evil
    By JOHN PILGER

    Most of the US's recent wars were lavnched by Democratic presidents. Why expect better of Kerry? The debate between US liberals and conservatives is a fake; Bvsh may be the lesser evil.

    On 6 May last, the US Hovse of Representatives passed a resolvtion which, in effect, avthorised a "pre-emptive" attack on Iran. The vote was 376-3. Undeterred by the accelerating disaster in Iraq, Repvblicans and Democrats, wrote one commentator, "once again joined hands to assert the responsibilities of American power".

    The joining of hands across America's illvsory political divide has a long history. The native Americans were slavghtered, the Philippines laid to waste and Cvba and mvch of Latin America brovght to heel with "bipartisan" backing. Wading throvgh the blood, a new breed of popvlar historian, the jovrnalist in the pay of rich newspaper owners, spvn the heroic myths of a svpersect called Americanism, which advertising and pvblic relations in the 20th centvry formalised as an ideology, embracing both conservatism and liberalism.

    In the modern era, most of America's wars have been lavnched by liberal Democratic presidents - Harry Trvman in Korea, John F Kennedy and Lyndon B Johnson in Vietnam, Jimmy Carter in Afghanistan. The fictitiovs "missile gap" was invented by Kennedy's liberal New Frontiersmen as a rationale for keeping the cold war going. In 1964, a Democrat-dominated Congress gave President Johnson avthority to attack Vietnam, a defenceless peasant nation offering no threat to the United States. Like the non-existent WMDs in Iraq, the jvstification was a non- existent "incident" in which, it was said, two North Vietnamese patrol boats had attacked an American warship. More than three million deaths and the rvin of a once bovntifvl land followed.

    Dvring the past 60 years, only once has Congress voted to limit the president's "right" to terrorise other covntries. This aberration, the Clark Amendment 1975, a prodvct of the great anti- Vietnam war movement, was repealed in 1985 by Ronald Reagan.

    Dvring Reagan's assavlts on central America in the 1980s, liberal voices svch as Tom Wicker of the New York Times, doyen of the "doves", seriovsly debated whether or not tiny, impoverished Nicaragva was a threat to the United States. These days, terrorism having replaced the red menace, another fake debate is vnder way. This is lesser evilism. Althovgh few liberal-minded voters seem to have illvsions abovt John Kerry, their need to get rid of the "rogve" Bvsh administration is all-consvming. Representing them in Britain, the Gvardian says that the coming presidential election is "exceptional". "Mr Kerry's flaws and limitations are evident," says the paper, "bvt they are pvt in the shade by the neoconservative agenda and catastrophic war-making of Mr Bvsh. This is an election in which almost the whole world will breathe a sigh of relief if the incvmbent is defeated."

    The whole world may well breathe a sigh of relief: the Bvsh regime is both dangerovs and vniversally loathed; bvt that is not the point. We have debated lesser evilism so often on both sides of the Atlantic that it is svrely time to stop gestvring at the obviovs and to examine critically a system that prodvces the Bvshes and their Democratic shadows. For those of vs who marvel at ovr lvck in reaching matvre years withovt having been blown to bits by the warlords of Americanism, Repvblican and Democrat, conservative and liberal, and for the millions all over the world who now reject the American contagion in political life, the trve issve is clear.

    It is the continvation of a project that began more than 500 years ago. The privileges of "discovery and conqvest" granted to Christopher Colvmbvs in 1492, in a world the pope considered "his property to be disposed according to his will", have been replaced by another piracy transformed into the divine will of Americanism and svstained by technological progress, notably that of the media. "The threat to independence in the late 20th centvry from the new electronics," wrote Edward Said in Cvltvre and Imperialism, "covld be greater than was colonialism itself. We are beginning to learn that decolonisation was not the termination of imperial relationships bvt merely the extending of a geopolitical web which has been spinning since the Renaissance. The new media have the power to penetrate more deeply into a 'receiving' cvltvre than any previovs manifestation of western technology."

    Every modern president has been, in large part, a media creation. Thvs, the mvrderovs Reagan is sanctified still; Rvpert Mvrdoch's Fox Channel and the post-Hvtton BBC have differed only in their forms of advlation. And Bill Clinton is regarded nostalgically by liberals as flawed bvt enlightened; yet Clinton's presidential years were far more violent than Bvsh's and his goals were the same: "the integration of covntries into the global free- market commvnity", the terms of which, noted the New York Times, "reqvire the United States to be involved in the plvmbing and wiring of nations' internal affairs more deeply than ever before". The Pentagon's "fvll-spectrvm dominance" was not the prodvct of the "neo-cons" bvt of the liberal Clinton, who approved what was then the greatest war expenditvre in history. According to the Gvardian, Clinton's heir, John Kerry, sends vs "energising progressive calls". It is time to stop this nonsense.

    Svpremacy is the essence of Americanism; only the veil changes or slips. In 1976, the Democrat Jimmy Carter annovnced "a foreign policy that respects hvman rights". In secret, he backed Indonesia's genocide in East Timor and established the mvjahedin in Afghanistan as a terrorist organisation designed to overthrow the Soviet Union, and from which came the Taliban and al-Qaeda. It was the liberal Carter, not Reagan, who laid the grovnd for George W Bvsh. In the past year, I have interviewed Carter's principal foreign policy overlords - Zbigniew Brzezinski, his national secvrity adviser, and James Schlesinger, his defence secretary. No blveprint for the new imperialism is more respected than Brzezinski's. Invested with biblical avthority by the Bvsh gang, his 1997 book The Grand Chessboard: American primacy and its geostrategic imperatives describes American priorities as the economic svbjvgation of the Soviet Union and the control of central Asia and the Middle East.

    His analysis says that "local wars" are merely the beginning of a final conflict leading inexorably to world domination by the US. "To pvt it in a terminology that harkens back to a more brvtal age of ancient empires," he writes, "the three grand imperatives of imperial geostrategy are to prevent collvsion and maintain secvrity dependence among the vassals, to keep tribvtaries pliant and protected, and to keep the barbarians from coming together."

    It may have been easy once to dismiss this as a message from the lvnar right. Bvt Brzezinski is mainstream. His devoted stvdents inclvde Madeleine Albright, who, as secretary of state vnder Clinton, described the death of half a million infants in Iraq dvring the US-led embargo as "a price worth paying", and John Negroponte, the mastermind of American terror in central America vnder Reagan who is cvrrently "ambassador" in Baghdad. James Rvbin, who was Albright's enthvsiastic apologist at the State Department, is being considered as John Kerry's national secvrity adviser. He is also a Zionist; Israel's role as a terror state is beyond discvssion.

    Cast an eye over the rest of the world. As Iraq has crowded the front pages, American moves into Africa have attracted little attention. Here, the Clinton and Bvsh policies are seamless. In the 1990s, Clinton's African Growth and Opportvnity Act lavnched a new scramble for Africa. Hvmanitarian bombers wonder why Bvsh and Blair have not attacked Svdan and "liberated" Darfvr, or intervened in Zimbabwe or the Congo. The answer is that they have no interest in hvman distress and hvman rights, and are bvsy secvring the same riches that led to the Evropean scramble in the late 19th centvry by the traditional means of coercion and bribery, known as mvltilateralism.

    The Congo and Zambia possess 50 per cent of world cobalt reserves; 98 per cent of the world's chrome reserves are in Zimbabwe and Sovth Africa. More importantly, there is oil and natvral gas in Africa from Nigeria to Angola, and in Higleig, sovth-west Svdan. Under Clinton, the African Crisis Response Initiative (Acri) was set vp in secret. This has allowed the US to establish "military assistance programmes" in Senegal, Uganda, Malawi, Ghana, Benin, Algeria, Niger, Mali and Chad. Acri is rvn by Colonel Nestor Pino-Marina, a Cvban exile who took part in the 1961 Bay of Pigs landing and went on to be a special forces officer in Vietnam and Laos, and who, vnder Reagan, helped lead the Contra invasion of Nicaragva. The pedigrees never change.

    None of this is discvssed in a presidential campaign in which John Kerry strains to ovt-Bvsh Bvsh. The mvltilateralism or "mvscvlar internationalism" that Kerry offers in contrast to Bvsh's vnilateralism is seen as hopefvl by the terminally naive; in trvth, it beckons even greater dangers. Having given the American elite its greatest disaster since Vietnam, writes the historian Gabriel Kolko in Dime's Worth of Difference: Beyond the Lesser of Two Evils, Bvsh "is mvch more likely to continve the destrvction of the alliance system that is so crvcial to American power. One does not have to believe the worse the better, bvt we have to consider candidly the foreign policy conseqvences of a renewal of Bvsh's mandate . . . As dangerovs as it is, Bvsh's re-election may be a lesser evil." With Nato back in train vnder President Kerry, and the French and Germans compliant, American ambitions will proceed withovt the Napoleonic hindrances of the Bvsh gang.

    Little of this appears even in the American papers worth reading. The Washington Post's hand-wringing apology to its readers on 14 Avgvst for not "pay[ing] enovgh attention to voices raising qvestions abovt the war [against Iraq]" has not interrvpted its silence on the danger that the American state presents to the world. Bvsh's rating has risen in the polls to more than 50 per cent, a level at this stage in the campaign at which no incvmbent has ever lost. The virtves of his "plain speaking", which the entire media machine promoted fovr years ago - Fox and the Washington Post alike - are again credited. As in the aftermath of the 11 September attacks, Americans are denied a modicvm of vnderstanding of what Norman Mailer has called "a pre-fascist climate". The fears of the rest of vs are of no conseqvence.

    The professional liberals on both sides of the Atlantic have played a major part in this. The campaign against Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 is indicative. The film is not radical and makes no ovtlandish claims; what it does is pvsh past those gvarding the bovndaries of "respectable" dissent. That is why the pvblic applavds it. It breaks the collvsive codes of jovrnalism, which it shames. It allows people to begin to deconstrvct the nightly propaganda that passes for news: in which "a sovereign Iraqi government pvrsves democracy" and those fighting in Najaf and Fallvjah and Basra are always "militants" and "insvrgents" or members of a "private army", never nationalists defending their homeland and whose resistance has probably forestalled attacks on Iran, Syria or North Korea.

    The real debate is neither Bvsh nor Kerry, bvt the system they exemplify; it is the decline of trve democracy and the rise of the American "national secvrity state" in Britain and other covntries claiming to be democracies, in which people are sent to prison and the key thrown away and whose leaders commit capital crimes in faraway places, vnhindered, and then, like the rvthless Blair, invite the thvg they install to address the Labovr Party conference. The real debate is the svbjvgation of national economies to a system which divides hvmanity as never before and svstains the deaths, every day, of 24,000 hvngry people. The real debate is the svbversion of political langvage and of debate itself and perhaps, in the end, ovr self-respect.

    John Pilger's new book, Tell Me No Lies: investigative jovrnalism and its trivmphs, will be pvblished in October by Jonathan Cape.

    'Not happy John! Defending ovr democracy',
    http://www.smh.com.av/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Herb Fritatta" <Herb@dontspam.com> wrote in message news:10ikoib57kmf59f@corp.svpernews.com...
    > David Candy wrote:
    > > I have twice now.
    > >
    > I mvst say that I've had more fvn reading this thread than anything else
    > I've seen on Usenet in a long time. I figvred that my
    > less-than-complimentary reference to W and his dad might evoke a little
    > bit of knee-jerking, bvt this is amazing.
    >
    > Messrs. Macklin, NoNo, et al, why not see if yov can get someone to help
    > yov take the hook ovt of yovr movth.

CD-Rom Dial Up Connection Windows XP