CIPE Server netmask problem on Redhat Linux 9

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.dcom.vpn,alt.os.linux.slackware (More info?)

Hi,

I am trying to set up a CIPE server on the redhat linux 9.

I have done the following:

>Edited a file : /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcb0

DEVICE=cipcb0
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
MYPORT=6789
PEER=67.xx.xxx.161:6790
PTPADDR=192.168.0.2
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK =255.255.255.0

>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-cipcb ifcfg-cipcb0

>ifconfig

The ifconfig shows the Mask as 255.255.255.255
How can i change this? Any ideas??

-Ann
3 answers Last reply
More about cipe server netmask problem redhat linux
  1. Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.dcom.vpn,alt.os.linux.slackware (More info?)

    Ann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to set up a CIPE server on the redhat linux 9.
    >
    > I have done the following:
    >

    >>Edited a file : /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcb0
    >

    > DEVICE=cipcb0
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > USERCTL=yes
    > MYPORT=6789
    > PEER=67.xx.xxx.161:6790
    > PTPADDR=192.168.0.2
    > IPADDR=192.168.0.1
    > NETMASK =255.255.255.0
    >

    >>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-cipcb ifcfg-cipcb0
    >

    >>ifconfig
    >

    > The ifconfig shows the Mask as 255.255.255.255
    > How can i change this? Any ideas??
    >
    > -Ann

    Please note that there are two IP addresses at each end of
    a CIPE tunnel: the outside address which is used to build
    the tunnel, and the inside address which is used with the
    data to be transferred via the tunnel. To keep routing
    manageable, the outside and inside addresses must be in
    different subnets: there is no hinder to use a totally
    different network for the inside addresses.

    You're trying to put the outside and inside addresses
    in the same subnet (192.168.0.0/24), and the routing
    is confused. The CIPE interfaces carry the inside addresses
    and the data has to be routed via them. The outside
    addresses are in the configuration file, and they must
    be routable/accessible via the real network interfaces
    of the host.

    The Red Hat configuration files are a bit strange for me:
    I'm a Debian user. Maybe some Red Hat user can help here.

    HTH

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio @ iki fi
  2. Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.dcom.vpn,alt.os.linux.slackware (More info?)

    Thanks Tauno..i really appreciate it!!

    Ann

    Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message news:<tY%lc.36$Bt.11@read3.inet.fi>...
    > Ann wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to set up a CIPE server on the redhat linux 9.
    > >
    > > I have done the following:
    > >

    > >>Edited a file : /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcb0
    > >

    > > DEVICE=cipcb0
    > > ONBOOT=yes
    > > USERCTL=yes
    > > MYPORT=6789
    > > PEER=67.xx.xxx.161:6790
    > > PTPADDR=192.168.0.2
    > > IPADDR=192.168.0.1
    > > NETMASK =255.255.255.0
    > >

    > >>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-cipcb ifcfg-cipcb0
    > >

    > >>ifconfig
    > >

    > > The ifconfig shows the Mask as 255.255.255.255
    > > How can i change this? Any ideas??
    > >
    > > -Ann
    >
    > Please note that there are two IP addresses at each end of
    > a CIPE tunnel: the outside address which is used to build
    > the tunnel, and the inside address which is used with the
    > data to be transferred via the tunnel. To keep routing
    > manageable, the outside and inside addresses must be in
    > different subnets: there is no hinder to use a totally
    > different network for the inside addresses.
    >
    > You're trying to put the outside and inside addresses
    > in the same subnet (192.168.0.0/24), and the routing
    > is confused. The CIPE interfaces carry the inside addresses
    > and the data has to be routed via them. The outside
    > addresses are in the configuration file, and they must
    > be routable/accessible via the real network interfaces
    > of the host.
    >
    > The Red Hat configuration files are a bit strange for me:
    > I'm a Debian user. Maybe some Red Hat user can help here.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Tauno Voipio
    > tauno voipio @ iki fi
  3. Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.dcom.vpn,alt.os.linux.slackware (More info?)

    Ann wrote:
    > Thanks Tauno..i really appreciate it!!
    >
    > Ann

    Thank you - positive feedback keeps the response engine running.

    Tauno
    tauno voipio @ iki fi

vpn Linux Servers Networking