What's the difference between a KN8 Ultra and an AN8 Ultra?

hitch

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
Aside from the heat pipe on the chipset, what is the difference between these two Mobos?

I want to build an NForce 4 Ultra chipset board with an AMD 4400 X2.. I've used Asus and Abit before on Intel chips but this is my first AMD.

I wanted to grab the AN8 but its out of stock everywhere and Abit lists is as discontinued on their site (even though it still has a flashing "new" next to it on their main Socket 939 page)

After reading about bad capacitors, etc on Abit mobos, is Asus better?

Sorry, lots of questions..

Thanks!

hitch

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
May have figured it out.. No firewire on KN8..

Still looking for the best Mobo for gaming/video encoding with a AMD 4400 X2

specter

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The main differece between AN8 ultra and Kn8 ultra is the fact that AN8 has uguru, heatpipe technology, and firewire. I had an AN9 ultra but I had serious problems. There was something with ide drivers, but i still don't know if it was because of the drivers or because of the motherboard. I know some persons that have KN8 ultra and they say it is good. And between Abit and Asus i choose Asus. some people say that they had problems with some boards. I had an Asus motherboard and now i have another, and they work reaally fine, great overclocking capability and stability. With Abit i had lots of problems, An8 ultra not being the first one i've encountered problems with. Asus A8N-Sli Premium is a great motherboard but is a little expensive, or you cand try DFI. Those are very good motherboard. Hope this will help you :)

hitch

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
Thanks for the help.

I have gone ahead and just placed an order for the Abit KN8 Ultra, AMD 4400 X2, Coolermaster Centurion, 2GB Corsair 3200 RAM, WD 150GB Raptor, Gigabyte 7800GT 256MB..

Hopefully all goes well.. :D