Sign in with
Your question

Opteron 148 VENUS, 2.2GHZ Heat Problems, help!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Opteron
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2006 2:15:28 PM

Just built this computer, Opteron 148 Venus Processor, HS Thermaltake xp-90c and an Asus A8R-MVP Motherboard. I am getting extremely high temperatures. When playing games such as CS: S or BF2 I get pulled out by my Motherboard moniter and its telling me my CPU is at 85C. When running Prime95 and GO at the same time I have gotten temperatures like that too. Like 180 something farenheit. However when i feel the copper shim it seems cool. I unmounted it, cleaned the artic silver 5 off, cleaned with an 70% alchohol and remounted as perfectly as possible. Could I have a bad sensor or whats going on?? The temperatures when it idels are below 30C always. When i quit gaming the temp drops back down to idle temp of under 30 in like 20 seconds. One more thing, I have a 90MM fan mounted on top of the HS blowing air on to it. Had it blowing away, but then read at a few places which said it would circulate better blowing towards. Any advice would be great, as originally I planned to overclock this system. Have DDR500 PC4000 2gb ram, x1800xt 512 vid, and 10k rpm raptor 74gb.

Do you think I have a bad sensor?? Sry for the double post, want as much advice as possible.

More about : opteron 148 venus 2ghz heat problems

January 19, 2006 3:19:52 PM

What's the airflow of your case like? If you open your case and point a house fan at it, does that lower the temps?
January 19, 2006 3:41:03 PM

I have excellent airflow, my damn case sounds like an airplane. I have the Antec Performance P180 and its got 120MM fans one above the processor, one behind blwoing and pulling air, and I have a PCI fan, and a VGA cooler slot, plus another 120MM cooling the Hard Drives.
Related resources
January 19, 2006 3:57:37 PM

Quote:
I have excellent airflow, my damn case sounds like an airplane. I have the Antec Performance P180 and its got 120MM fans one above the processor, one behind blwoing and pulling air, and I have a PCI fan, and a VGA cooler slot, plus another 120MM cooling the Hard Drives.
Having a lot of fans doesn't necessarily mean having good airflow. I've seen people set up their case so that the fans were actually fighting each other. But that's pretty rare.

I doubt it's your sensor that's off because if it were then your idle temps wouldn't be so normal.

So I'm wondering if either your heatsink just isn't seated right, or if you used too much AS5, or if your heatsink's fan maybe isn't moving enough air? I don't know. It's awfully weird.

I guess I'd suggest taking the heatsink off, cleaning it off again, applying just a translucent thin layer of AS5 spread with a credit card, and as you mount the heatsink take extra time to be sure that it's not being blocked by anything on your mobo and that it's really seated flush with the proc. (And that it's a snug fit.) All basic stuff, I know, but it's all I can think of that could be wrong, short of your heatsink's fan just not moving enough air.
January 19, 2006 5:12:47 PM

My Heatsink fan is moving ALOT of air, im positive of that. And I was extra extra careful applying the heatsink the second time. I think it is a sensor problem, because wouldnt my copper coils on the heatsink be hot to the touch, or even warm for that matter. Also why wouldnt my computer auto shut off if it was at 85C. The opteron is only rated to run at a maximum temperature of 70C. Thats 15C over. Another thing, my games are running find, wouldnt I be experiencing lockups and stuff like that?
January 19, 2006 5:38:20 PM

Quote:
I think it is a sensor problem, because wouldnt my copper coils on the heatsink be hot to the touch, or even warm for that matter.
See, that's a part that really bugs me. Because yes, they should get warm. The fact that they're not suggests to me that your heatsink is not making good contact with the processor. If that were the case, your processor would get darn hot, while your heatsink wouldn't.

Quote:
Also why wouldnt my computer auto shut off if it was at 85C.
That one also has me puzzled. Unfortunately I don't know as much about AMD's thermal protection systems these days as I'd like to. And AMD doesn't seem to care enough to describe them in any whitepapers, as far as I can find anyway. :( 

Quote:
Another thing, my games are running find, wouldnt I be experiencing lockups and stuff like that?
Not necessarily. I would think that with AMD's ability to underclock their processors to save power when you're not using much of the CPU, that should also include the ability to underclock the processor to prevent it from overheating. But it might not. I don't know.
January 19, 2006 7:08:39 PM

The way the XP-90C is made there is no way it isnt making contact with the CPU. Becase the CPU's now have that thermal cover, it sits flush on there. If it wasnt my idle temperatures would be considerably higher right?
January 19, 2006 9:33:46 PM

Me thinks you have the wrong sensor selected in MBM. I have one sensor that will display 80c and the other that displays 45c or so. Basically the same as bios and other programs.
January 19, 2006 10:17:46 PM

Quote:
Me thinks you have the wrong sensor selected in MBM. I have one sensor that will display 80c and the other that displays 45c or so. Basically the same as bios and other programs.

That's also my opinion.
January 19, 2006 10:36:41 PM

Flashed the bios to the latest version. Hasnt gone above 32C since. Sensors were messed up i think. Thanks everyone
January 20, 2006 2:40:13 PM

What can I say, it's hot on VENUS :wink:
!