    news:v22u419ard11out28ql7skn11aimujd082@4ax.com...
    Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600

    Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like
    being interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening
    to music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?

    Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and ge force 5200
    video card.

    I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded
    all the latest windows updates - still does it.

    Gosh Muzz... that could be almost anything! Is your hard drive being
    accessed during these interruptions? I'd ask you to check the CPU use as
    well, but FS9 usually uses as much as it can get anyway. But you can
    check out what other tasks are trying to grab power from the CPU as
    well. You can see this under Process in the Task Manager.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    While your using Task Manager also check memory usage. You are probably using virtual (hard disk) memory and what you
    see is the information swapping from your hard disk to RAM.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600

[...]

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600, muzz <jmuzz@charter.net> brought
    the following to our attention:

    >Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    >interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    >music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    >fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    >everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    >but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    >Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    >ge force 5200 video card.
    >
    >I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded
    >all the latest windows updates - still does it.

    It's probably being distracted by the television..
    move PC into a separate room !!

    ok.. joking around here.. but couldn't resist :)

    "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    > interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    > music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    > fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    > everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    > but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    > Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    > ge force 5200 video card.
    >
    > I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    > the latest windows updates - still does it.

    Have you updated your sound card or changed it for another one to see if it
    is the cause? If the problem occurs after operating for some time, it may
    be temperature related. Try extra cooling by placing a small desk fan so
    that it blows on to the main processor and others on the video and sound
    cards.

    John

    this might seem strange... but check your IRQ list, and make sure you have
    your vidoe and sound cards on seperate IRQ numbers
    "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

    > "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    > > interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    > > music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    > > fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    > > everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    > > but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    > >
    > > Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    > > ge force 5200 video card.
    > >
    > > I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    > > the latest windows updates - still does it.
    >
    > Have you updated your sound card or changed it for another one to see if
    it
    > is the cause? If the problem occurs after operating for some time, it may
    > be temperature related. Try extra cooling by placing a small desk fan so
    > that it blows on to the main processor and others on the video and sound
    > cards.
    >
    > John

    Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes, I've defragged, looked at the
    task manager, done everything I could think of, no help. I will
    check the irq and try to update my sound card driver. Thanks again.

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600, muzz <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote:

    >Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    >interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    >music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    >fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    >everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    >but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    >Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    >ge force 5200 video card.
    >
    >I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    >the latest windows updates - still does it.

    Just for grins, try adaware or some other free-for-home-user spyware
    detector... It's probably not it, but it couldn't hurt to try.

    "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    > interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    > music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    > fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    > everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    > but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    > Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    > ge force 5200 video card.
    >
    > I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    > the latest windows updates - still does it.

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600, muzz <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote:

    >Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    >interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    >music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    >fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    >everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    >but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    >Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    >ge force 5200 video card.
    >
    >I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    >the latest windows updates - still does it.

    When is the last time you defragged the HD?...I had some stutters at
    times in FS..then after a defrag,ran real smooth..just one of several
    possibilities.

    "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    > interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    > music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    > fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    > everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    > but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    > Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    > ge force 5200 video card.
    >
    > I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    > the latest windows updates - still does it.

    Its a virus. I had exactly the same problem and it had me stumped-ran Avast
    AntiVirus (free download-look on Google) and it cured it right away.
    HTH
    Steve

    I've preached to run Ad-Aware & Spybot so often I forgot to do it again.
    Run a full virus scan, Ad-Aware & Spybot. If that doesn't work we are at least on a common ground to start trouble
    shooting the problem.

    Thanks Jay for remembering.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message news:Zr34e.100056$755.92803@lakeread05...
    > Just for grins, try adaware or some other free-for-home-user spyware detector... It's probably not it, but it
    > couldn't hurt to try.
    >
    > "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message news:v22u419ard11out28ql7skn11aimujd082@4ax.com...
    >> Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
    >> interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
    >> music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
    >> fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
    >> everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
    >> but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
    >>
    >> Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
    >> ge force 5200 video card.
    >>
    >> I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
    >> the latest windows updates - still does it.

    Tha;nks, I'll try it, altho I have the latest spyware and anti-virus
    software which I run daily. Didn't think about a virus as I've not
    had any of that problem since I protect against them, but who
    knows, one might have slipped thru.

    In article <ooa1519d92tdvmsc23h1603shr4o0cnpke@4ax.com>,
    jmuzz@charter.net says...
    > Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes, I've defragged, looked at the
    > task manager, done everything I could think of, no help. I will
    > check the irq and try to update my sound card driver. Thanks again.

    Its almost certainly some kind of virus or maleware. I've seen this
    before and it was a virus.

    John Black

    Try going into

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe - double click the dxdiag.exe

    On the Directx Diagnostic Tool, click Sound 1 tab, then reduce Full
    Acceleration to Basic, then try that setting, if that stops it then there is
    some sort of sound driver problem, most sound cards have a diagnostic tool
    with them, or just try reloading your sound driver or updating it.

    Fred

    Hi,

    Try downloading and using FS Autostart from AVSIM. Stop everything that
    is "recommended". Cured the hiccups of a friend's FS.

    Hope this helps,

    Tom Gibson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Try downloading and using FS Autostart from AVSIM. Stop everything that
    > is "recommended". Cured the hiccups of a friend's FS.
    >
    > Hope this helps,

    Another good program from the same author is the FS9 Configurater. Shows
    all CFG files in a logical manner making it simple to change what you
    want. It also has some other functions but I'm not too far into them
    yet. :)
    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)