strange thing happens to my computer

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2005 7:07:34 PM

Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?

Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
ge force 5200 video card.

I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
the latest windows updates - still does it.

More about : strange thing computer

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2005 1:32:34 AM

"muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:v22u419ard11out28ql7skn11aimujd082@4ax.com...
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600

Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like
being interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening
to music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?

Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and ge force 5200
video card.

I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded
all the latest windows updates - still does it.

Gosh Muzz... that could be almost anything! Is your hard drive being
accessed during these interruptions? I'd ask you to check the CPU use as
well, but FS9 usually uses as much as it can get anyway. But you can
check out what other tasks are trying to grab power from the CPU as
well. You can see this under Process in the Task Manager.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2005 11:10:43 AM

While your using Task Manager also check memory usage. You are probably using virtual (hard disk) memory and what you
see is the information swapping from your hard disk to RAM.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600

[...]

Related resources
April 3, 2005 1:49:47 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600, muzz <jmuzz@charter.net> brought
the following to our attention:

>Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
>interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
>music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
>fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
>everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
>but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>
>Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
>ge force 5200 video card.
>
>I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded
>all the latest windows updates - still does it.

It's probably being distracted by the television..
move PC into a separate room !!

ok.. joking around here.. but couldn't resist :)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2005 2:17:39 PM

"muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
> Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
> interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
> music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
> fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
> everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
> but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
> ge force 5200 video card.
>
> I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
> the latest windows updates - still does it.

Have you updated your sound card or changed it for another one to see if it
is the cause? If the problem occurs after operating for some time, it may
be temperature related. Try extra cooling by placing a small desk fan so
that it blows on to the main processor and others on the video and sound
cards.

John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2005 11:56:28 PM

this might seem strange... but check your IRQ list, and make sure you have
your vidoe and sound cards on seperate IRQ numbers
"John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

> "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
> > Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
> > interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
> > music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
> > fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
> > everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
> > but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
> >
> > Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
> > ge force 5200 video card.
> >
> > I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
> > the latest windows updates - still does it.
>
> Have you updated your sound card or changed it for another one to see if
it
> is the cause? If the problem occurs after operating for some time, it may
> be temperature related. Try extra cooling by placing a small desk fan so
> that it blows on to the main processor and others on the video and sound
> cards.
>
> John

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 1:50:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes, I've defragged, looked at the
task manager, done everything I could think of, no help. I will
check the irq and try to update my sound card driver. Thanks again.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600, muzz <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote:

>Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
>interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
>music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
>fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
>everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
>but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>
>Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
>ge force 5200 video card.
>
>I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
>the latest windows updates - still does it.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 3:32:55 AM

Just for grins, try adaware or some other free-for-home-user spyware
detector... It's probably not it, but it couldn't hurt to try.

"muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
> Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
> interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
> music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
> fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
> everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
> but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
> ge force 5200 video card.
>
> I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
> the latest windows updates - still does it.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 5:47:53 AM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:34 -0600, muzz <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote:

>Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
>interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
>music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
>fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
>everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
>but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>
>Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
>ge force 5200 video card.
>
>I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
>the latest windows updates - still does it.

When is the last time you defragged the HD?...I had some stutters at
times in FS..then after a defrag,ran real smooth..just one of several
possibilities.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 4:42:35 PM

"muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
> Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
> interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
> music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
> fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
> everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
> but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
> ge force 5200 video card.
>
> I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
> the latest windows updates - still does it.

Its a virus. I had exactly the same problem and it had me stumped-ran Avast
AntiVirus (free download-look on Google) and it cured it right away.
HTH
Steve
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 5:36:20 PM

I've preached to run Ad-Aware & Spybot so often I forgot to do it again.
Run a full virus scan, Ad-Aware & Spybot. If that doesn't work we are at least on a common ground to start trouble
shooting the problem.

Thanks Jay for remembering.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message news:Zr34e.100056$755.92803@lakeread05...
> Just for grins, try adaware or some other free-for-home-user spyware detector... It's probably not it, but it
> couldn't hurt to try.
>
> "muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message news:v22u419ard11out28ql7skn11aimujd082@4ax.com...
>> Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
>> interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
>> music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
>> fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
>> everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
>> but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
>> ge force 5200 video card.
>>
>> I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
>> the latest windows updates - still does it.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 6:19:52 PM

Tha;nks, I'll try it, altho I have the latest spyware and anti-virus
software which I run daily. Didn't think about a virus as I've not
had any of that problem since I protect against them, but who
knows, one might have slipped thru.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:42:35 +0100, "SimplyFly" <onoudont@phar.com>
wrote:

>"muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
>> interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
>> music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
>> fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
>> everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
>> but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
>> ge force 5200 video card.
>>
>> I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
>> the latest windows updates - still does it.
>>
>Its a virus. I had exactly the same problem and it had me stumped-ran Avast
>AntiVirus (free download-look on Google) and it cured it right away.
>HTH
>Steve

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2005 8:50:06 PM

In article <ooa1519d92tdvmsc23h1603shr4o0cnpke@4ax.com>,
jmuzz@charter.net says...
> Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes, I've defragged, looked at the
> task manager, done everything I could think of, no help. I will
> check the irq and try to update my sound card driver. Thanks again.

Its almost certainly some kind of virus or maleware. I've seen this
before and it was a virus.

John Black
April 5, 2005 6:55:42 AM

Try going into

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe - double click the dxdiag.exe

On the Directx Diagnostic Tool, click Sound 1 tab, then reduce Full
Acceleration to Basic, then try that setting, if that stops it then there is
some sort of sound driver problem, most sound cards have a diagnostic tool
with them, or just try reloading your sound driver or updating it.

Fred
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2005 7:35:48 PM

Hi,

Try downloading and using FS Autostart from AVSIM. Stop everything that
is "recommended". Cured the hiccups of a friend's FS.

Hope this helps,

muzz wrote:
> Tha;nks, I'll try it, altho I have the latest spyware and anti-virus
> software which I run daily. Didn't think about a virus as I've not
> had any of that problem since I protect against them, but who
> knows, one might have slipped thru.
>

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:42:35 +0100, "SimplyFly" <onoudont@phar.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"muzz" <jmuzz@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Every so often, my computer will go into a mode where it's like being
>>>interrupted every second or so. For instance, while listening to
>>>music, or running flight sim, the sound skips every second for a
>>>fraction of a second, much like a scratch on a record, except
>>>everything skips. I've looked at the system while it is happening
>>>but cannot find a thing running. Anyone else have this problem?
>>>
>>>Sony Vaio 1.8 gig, 512 meg memory, windows xp, and
>>>ge force 5200 video card.
>>>
>>>I've changed drivers for the video card to no avail and downloaded all
>>>the latest windows updates - still does it.
>>>

>>Its a virus. I had exactly the same problem and it had me stumped-ran Avast
>>AntiVirus (free download-look on Google) and it cured it right away.
>>HTH
>>Steve

April 8, 2005 6:13:05 AM

Tom Gibson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try downloading and using FS Autostart from AVSIM. Stop everything that
> is "recommended". Cured the hiccups of a friend's FS.
>
> Hope this helps,

Another good program from the same author is the FS9 Configurater. Shows
all CFG files in a logical manner making it simple to change what you
want. It also has some other functions but I'm not too far into them
yet. :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)