Hangups - a software or hardware problem?

WinXP Home Edition hangs very often, on or off line, and I have to unplug
and replug. Knowledge Base has an article that seems vaguely relevant
(314405), but it is from last year and promises a fix in a future update; I
have all updates except Service Pack 2.

Does it look like I have a software or a hardware problem? This may be a
clue: After each freeze, I'm allowed to advance more into the system until
everything is working fine. Yesterday, for example, the screen froze five
times within the first 15 minutes, but then ran well for three hours.

I have plenty of memory and hard drive free, and am virus-free. Mainframe is
MSI-638, v5.X. The system was reformatted by a pro shop three months ago
and seemed to be running fine for a few weeks.

Jupiter Jones, MVP, has put up a good webpage for this problem, see if this
helps you:

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/hang0.htm