Difficult Windows Installer Error

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I am trying to install Crystal Reports version 9 on a NT 4
server, Terminal Server edition. I am getting the
following error message: "The Windows Installer service
could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running
Windows in Safe Mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for
asistance." The server is not in Safe Mode,the service is
running, and I have tried everything in KB315346. Does
anyone have any ideas?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Are you installing the app from a TS session? Try installing it from the
console.

Cheers,
Dimce

"Christopher Beard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install Crystal Reports version 9 on a NT 4
> server, Terminal Server edition. I am getting the
> following error message: "The Windows Installer service
> could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running
> Windows in Safe Mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
> correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for
> asistance." The server is not in Safe Mode,the service is
> running, and I have tried everything in KB315346. Does
> anyone have any ideas?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Ha!! Thank you! After weeks and weeks of sporadically
trying to repair the Windows Installer so I could install
Acrobat 6 and Java - this worked so easily I feel foolish.
I ran the WIndows Installer (InstMsiW.exe) from the
console, and now all programs install from either the
console or a TS login window.

I don't know what happened to it in the first place, but
there is NO help in KBs or Support and Troubleshooting.

I was actually going to replace a server we use only for
browsing sites that require I.E., because I could not
install new programs on it.

THANKS - Kathryn

confers no rights.