Concorde Altitude

Last response: in Video Games
April 3, 2005 4:46:17 PM

Hi Everyone

I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble starts
just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have the
Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to the
height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose dive
and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many lives as a
pilot.....

Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord

More about : concorde altitude

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:46:18 PM

Cameron,

You don't say which Concorde you have so I'll assume PSS. Firstly 60,000 is
right at the top end of altitude, so you may wish to try a more comfortable
FL580 and Mach 2.

If you have got the PSS version try these instructions which recommend using
the VFE (Virtual Flight Engineer) to handle CofG:

www.sylvesteruk.com/psscheckride.zip

You can also do the Paris - JFK tutorial on the PSS website.

Regards

Geoff

"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Everyone
>
> I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble starts
> just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have
> the Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to
> the height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose
> dive and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many lives
> as a pilot.....
>
> Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord

Well, it may have to do with the kind of operation of the Concorde which was
quite different to any other A/C although I don't know whether this is
properly simulated. During the supersonic part the Concorde didn't fly at a
constant altitude (flight level). I would climb initially to the optimum
altitude regarding weight and atmospheric conditions (soemthing about
FL450). Then it would accelerate to Mach 2.0. Then the engine power would be
fixed at the maximum cruise rating. The rest was taken care of by the
autopilot which means: holding a constant speed with a constant powersetting
would result in a (theoretically) constant shallow climb. And that's what
actually happened. It usually ended up short of Newfoundland around FL600 to
620. Flying at a constant altitude would be less economical and thus might
even restrict the range of the Concorde heavily.
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Cameron,

If you want to practice and use the instructions link I sent earlier I have
some real Concorde routes that I downloaded a while ago. The one I was
thinking of was the EGLL - EGLL joyride flights that just give people the
experience of supersonic flight. On that route which is 738 miles it will be
at FL500 and Mach 2 in 300 miles and can go higher if you wish. It
obviously goes up a lot quicker with the lower fuel load. I have used this
route a few time to just get used to the different modes of flight. If you
email me I'll send the files as the link is not working at the moment.

In terms of the very high altitudes things like air temp will affect that
from what I read in the PSS forum. The colder the better I believe as it has
more air to get hold of.

Other key things to consider with this are to load the default 747 first to
make sure everything is running properly then change aircraft. Also keep the
IAS setting right up behind the max speed pointer as it rises to get up
there quickly. You want it nailed on 400kts IAS as it climbs. Eventually it
will go through this, but it's quite impressive the way the IAS doesn't drop
as it climbs, unlike other jets. Its quite cool the difference that four
re-heated engines make :-)

Regards

Geoff

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D 2ogvs$99f$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> "Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble
starts
> > just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have
> > the Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to
> > the height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose
> > dive and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many
lives
> > as a pilot.....
> >
> > Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord
> >
> Well, it may have to do with the kind of operation of the Concorde which
was
> quite different to any other A/C although I don't know whether this is
> properly simulated. During the supersonic part the Concorde didn't fly at
> constant altitude (flight level). I would climb initially to the optimum
> altitude regarding weight and atmospheric conditions (soemthing about
> FL450). Then it would accelerate to Mach 2.0. Then the engine power would
be
> fixed at the maximum cruise rating. The rest was taken care of by the
> autopilot which means: holding a constant speed with a constant
powersetting
> would result in a (theoretically) constant shallow climb. And that's what
> actually happened. It usually ended up short of Newfoundland around FL600
> 620. Flying at a constant altitude would be less economical and thus might
> even restrict the range of the Concorde heavily.
> --
> Oskar
> (retired captain)
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:51:37 PM

"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone
>
> I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble starts
> just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have
> the Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to
> the height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose
> dive and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many lives
> as a pilot.....
>
> Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord

Maintaining the Cof G for this aircraft is critical - unless set to auto you
will need to move fuel to maintain Cof G as it is burnt. Check your
aircraft's attitude - nose up trim must be kept within a small band.
Haven't any references nearby but FL600 may be close to the limit for
Concorde. Also remember that you have to achieve speed before altitude - or
you will drop out of the sky. The air is so thin that you have to be
supersonic to get enough lift to stay up there.

John
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:00:12 AM

another good idea is to start out at say 45000, and go up in step as your
fuel burns off, and remember to come upto mach 2 slowly, in stages, i find
that(as Geoff says) 55000-58000 is a very comfortable crusing alt as a final
alt....

cheers Paul
"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 2o5th$h9h$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> Cameron,
>
> You don't say which Concorde you have so I'll assume PSS. Firstly 60,000
is
> right at the top end of altitude, so you may wish to try a more
comfortable
> FL580 and Mach 2.
>
> If you have got the PSS version try these instructions which recommend
using
> the VFE (Virtual Flight Engineer) to handle CofG:
>
> www.sylvesteruk.com/psscheckride.zip
>
> You can also do the Paris - JFK tutorial on the PSS website.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff
>
> "Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble
starts
> > just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have
> the
> > Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to the
> > height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose
dive
> > and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many lives as
> > pilot.....
> >
> > Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:17:36 AM

HI Everyone

Thanks to you all responding to my help re the concord. I am in a virtual
airlines (eastern) and i dont loadesd the concorde from the site, when i
downloaded the concorde it came with the 777ER panel with teh option to go
to AVSIM to download the concord panel, which i did, this panel i find is
not very good all all the MACH deoesnt work along with everything else.

I have decided not to use the concord and just give up. its really
frustrating when they give you a site to sownload the panel from (AVSIM) and
it still doesnt work correctly.

If anyone is interested in seeing where i got the concorde from or would
like to join the virtual airline i am with, the site is
http://www.evair.com.

let me all know what you think, if you look at he concorde on the hangar
link

thanks

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D 2ogvs$99f$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> "Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble starts
>> just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have
>> the Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to
>> the height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose
>> dive and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many lives
>> as a pilot.....
>>
>> Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord
>>
> Well, it may have to do with the kind of operation of the Concorde which
> was quite different to any other A/C although I don't know whether this is
> properly simulated. During the supersonic part the Concorde didn't fly at
> a constant altitude (flight level). I would climb initially to the optimum
> altitude regarding weight and atmospheric conditions (soemthing about
> FL450). Then it would accelerate to Mach 2.0. Then the engine power would
> be fixed at the maximum cruise rating. The rest was taken care of by the
> autopilot which means: holding a constant speed with a constant
> powersetting would result in a (theoretically) constant shallow climb. And
> that's what actually happened. It usually ended up short of Newfoundland
> around FL600 to 620. Flying at a constant altitude would be less
> economical and thus might even restrict the range of the Concorde heavily.
> --
> Oskar
> (retired captain)
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

April 4, 2005 2:17:37 AM

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:17:36 +1000, "Cameron"
<cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our
attention:

>HI Everyone
>
>Thanks to you all responding to my help re the concord. I am in a virtual
>airlines (eastern) and i dont loadesd the concorde from the site, when i
>downloaded the concorde it came with the 777ER panel with teh option to go
>to AVSIM to download the concord panel, which i did, this panel i find is
>not very good all all the MACH deoesnt work along with everything else.
>
>I have decided not to use the concord and just give up. its really
>frustrating when they give you a site to sownload the panel from (AVSIM) and
>it still doesnt work correctly.
>
>If anyone is interested in seeing where i got the concorde from or would
>like to join the virtual airline i am with, the site is
>http://www.evair.com.
>
>let me all know what you think, if you look at he concorde on the hangar link
>

>thanks

If you can find who scoffed Ron's Concorde FD.. locate that aircraft
on avsim.com and download it.. should fly pretty well. While at it..
there are a number of Sim flight manuals for Concorde to download
(on avsim) that describe speeds, weights, etc.

-Gregory

>"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> "Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Hi Everyone
>>>
>>> I have been flying the concord, well trying to anyway, the trouble starts
>>> just when i am reaching my cruising speed and altitude at 60,000, i have
>>> the Mach set to the right speed and everything is ok, but when i get to
>>> the height of flight 60,000 the concord starts bouncing and takes a nose
>>> dive and then all down hill from there i crash. I have only so many lives
>>> as a pilot.....
>>>
>>> Please help out anyone a very frustrated and dead pilot of concord
>>>
>> Well, it may have to do with the kind of operation of the Concorde which
>> was quite different to any other A/C although I don't know whether this is
>> properly simulated. During the supersonic part the Concorde didn't fly at
>> a constant altitude (flight level). I would climb initially to the optimum
>> altitude regarding weight and atmospheric conditions (soemthing about
>> FL450). Then it would accelerate to Mach 2.0. Then the engine power would
>> be fixed at the maximum cruise rating. The rest was taken care of by the
>> autopilot which means: holding a constant speed with a constant
>> powersetting would result in a (theoretically) constant shallow climb. And
>> that's what actually happened. It usually ended up short of Newfoundland
>> around FL600 to 620. Flying at a constant altitude would be less
>> economical and thus might even restrict the range of the Concorde heavily.
>> --
>> Oskar
>> (retired captain)

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:01:34 AM

> HI Everyone
>
> Thanks to you all responding to my help re the concord. I am in a virtual
> airlines (eastern) and i dont loadesd the concorde from the site, when i
> downloaded the concorde it came with the 777ER panel with teh option to go
> to AVSIM to download the concord panel, which i did, this panel i find is
> not very good all all the MACH deoesnt work along with everything else.
>
> I have decided not to use the concord and just give up. its really
> frustrating when they give you a site to sownload the panel from (AVSIM)
> and it still doesnt work correctly.

Cameron - don't give up too soon. Part of the challenge is to fly the
difficult aircraft. I learned a great deal by flying the default Concorde
in FS2002 but only after similar frustration. It was great to finally
conquer the beast!

John
!