wanting to get into overclocking...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
heres my idea... id like to buy an older computer, build it, maybe watercool it and overclock it as high as i can... im pretty new to overclocking, not so bad as i dont know what it is, ive just never messed with voltages or fsb speeds and such (which is the reason id like to try it on an older compter)... i wanna spend around 200-300 bux for the entire system, so far im thinking

amd xp 2600 mobile... heard its very good overclocker
motherboard....
1 gb pc3500... willing to change
video card, most likely an nvidia due to the fact that old ATI cards dont overclock... maybe an fx5700 but probably slower...
suggestions for a liquid cooling kit...

is this a good idea or should i just overclock my current computer?... the reason i havnt yet is, well 2 reasons, my current mobo is a chaintech, so no overclocking... i have overclocked my x700pro with ati tool, but havnt pushed it more than 100mhz to the core... it runs under 40C... ALSO another reason i dont overclock is because my 3700 is running at 50C idle... which is think is wrong! ADVISE :)

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
will that be around the 250 dollar price tag?... im either gonna buy a new box or a psp... im undecided right now, but id like to mess around with watercooling/overclocking

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
haha good idea... if i got the 2nd comp itd prob be just for aim anyways... so i guess it is pointless to downgrade... maybe sometime soon ill get a better 754 mobo with maybe agp and ci-express... if they make them... as for now! psp or xbox360... and since i have a computer theres almost no need for xbox360 (i also have a regular xbox) so ill prob end up picking up a psp as soon as my car is fixed, stupid ass deer ran into the side of it. no its not a joke, and no i didnt hit it, it hit me.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
rofl, well some guy stopped and asked me if i wanted it and i said he could take it, besides there was no palce to put it in my tiny ford focus hatchback :p if i had a truck like him id be set for a weeks worth of food!