Revoking a Device License in 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I have a 2003 Terminal Server with 3 device cals. When I initially tested it
from my PC, apparently I gobbled up one of them, and I can't give it back.

According to Microsoft article: KB271245, you cannot revoke Windows 2000
Terminal Services license from client. I'd have to call MS clearing house to
get an additional CAL.

Is this really true? If so, will they charge me for another CAL?

Tim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

The article applies for the most part only to W2K, not to 2003 TS
CALs. 2003 TS CALs cannot be revoked either, but the problem
descrided in KB 271245 cannot occur on 2003.

All 2003 TS CALs have an expiration date. That means that a
license which has not been used (a PC has not made a connection to
the TS) during a period of 52-89 days, will automatically be
returned to the Licensing server and become available for another
client.
In the meantime, a new client will receive a temporary
license, which is valid for 90 days. So before the temporary
license on the new client expires, the old license becomes
available again.
If you find that new clients temporary licenses
expire before any old licenses are returned to the LS, it simply
means that you have (at least during some time) connected more
clients than you have TS CALs and you need to buy more.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in

> I have a 2003 Terminal Server with 3 device cals. When I
> initially tested it from my PC, apparently I gobbled up one of
> them, and I can't give it back.
>
> According to Microsoft article: KB271245, you cannot revoke
> Windows 2000 Terminal Services license from client. I'd have to
> call MS clearing house to get an additional CAL.
>
> Is this really true? If so, will they charge me for another CAL?
>
> Tim

TRENDING THREADS