TS activated but won't allow logon

Jordan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I setup a test TS 2003 a few months ago and once I was satisfied that it was
running properly I activated my licenses. Now 120 days have passed and it
has stopped allowing logons saying:

"You don't have access to logon to this session"

I can logon to the console remotely as the Administrator so it doesn't
appear to be a connection problem. My Event logs are telling me that my
there are no license servers on my network and when I go to open the license
server manager from my terminal server it tells me that it can't locate one
either. If I choose to connect to my TS from the menu in the manager it
shows my TS "MyTSServer" as activated, but none of my licenses were issued.

I have even reactivated successfully, but cannot connect clients either
using Win XP Remote Desktop or via the web interface ActiveX controll on
http://MyTSServer/tsweb

The server is a W2003 Advanced Server on a network running in Mixed Mode.
The PDC is W2K Advanced Server and the clients are either XP Pro or 2000.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Please have a look at the TS FAQ section, whihc might be usefull

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/profwin/pw0601.mspx

--------------------
====From: "Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com>
====Subject: TS activated but won't allow logon
====Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:35:27 -0400
====Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup
====
[...]

===

Sandeep KT

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

===

Jordan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

The first thing I see is that my TS License Server is on the same box
running TS as an application server. I know MS recommends another box, but
I assumed that it would be OK since a lot of companies only have one server.

When I look in the TS License Manager the first thing that happens is that
it tells me that it cannot find the TS Licensing Server, but I can connect
after I pass that error. When I connect it shows that the TS is activated
and that I have unlimited existing Windows 2000 CAL and my 20 retail
purchased licenses. The Issued column for both license groups show zero
issues.

One of the event logs says something about possibly not having the DNS/WINS
record setup. I know that the server shows up in my DNS list and my WINS
list, but I don't see anything special for the Terminal Service. Do I need
to put something in either WINS or DNS?

"Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I setup a test TS 2003 a few months ago and once I was satisfied that it
was
> running properly I activated my licenses. Now 120 days have passed and it
> has stopped allowing logons saying:
>
> "You don't have access to logon to this session"
>
> I can logon to the console remotely as the Administrator so it doesn't
> appear to be a connection problem. My Event logs are telling me that my
> there are no license servers on my network and when I go to open the
license
> server manager from my terminal server it tells me that it can't locate
one
> either. If I choose to connect to my TS from the menu in the manager it
> shows my TS "MyTSServer" as activated, but none of my licenses were
issued.

> I have even reactivated successfully, but cannot connect clients either
> using Win XP Remote Desktop or via the web interface ActiveX controll on
> http://MyTSServer/tsweb
>
> The server is a W2003 Advanced Server on a network running in Mixed Mode.
> The PDC is W2K Advanced Server and the clients are either XP Pro or 2000.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Sounds like your TS cannot locate the LS, probably because of the
DNS issue. Fix that, and possibly apply this as well:

279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

You don't mention which type of TS CALs you purchased, Per Device
or Per User. Make sure that your TS is in the same Licensing mode
as the type of TS CALs you installed.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

> The first thing I see is that my TS License Server is on the
> same box running TS as an application server. I know MS
> recommends another box, but I assumed that it would be OK since
> a lot of companies only have one server.
>
> When I look in the TS License Manager the first thing that
> happens is that it tells me that it cannot find the TS Licensing
> Server, but I can connect after I pass that error. When I
> connect it shows that the TS is activated and that I have
> unlimited existing Windows 2000 CAL and my 20 retail purchased
> licenses. The Issued column for both license groups show zero
> issues.
>
> One of the event logs says something about possibly not having
> the DNS/WINS record setup. I know that the server shows up in
> my DNS list and my WINS list, but I don't see anything special
> for the Terminal Service. Do I need to put something in either
> WINS or DNS?
>

> "Sandeep KT [MSFT]" <v-sandkt@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:cWj7$MaQEHA.4088@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
>> Please have a look at the TS FAQ section, whihc might be
>> usefull

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/profwin/pw060
>> 1.mspx
>>

>> --------------------
>

> "Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I setup a test TS 2003 a few months ago and once I was
>> satisfied that it
> was
>> running properly I activated my licenses. Now 120 days have
>> passed and it has stopped allowing logons saying:
>>
>> "You don't have access to logon to this session"
>>
>> I can logon to the console remotely as the Administrator so it
>> doesn't appear to be a connection problem. My Event logs are
>> telling me that my there are no license servers on my network
>> and when I go to open the
> license
>> server manager from my terminal server it tells me that it
>> can't locate
> one
>> either. If I choose to connect to my TS from the menu in the
>> manager it shows my TS "MyTSServer" as activated, but none of
>> my licenses were
> issued.
>>
>> I have even reactivated successfully, but cannot connect
>> clients either using Win XP Remote Desktop or via the web
>> interface ActiveX controll on http://MyTSServer/tsweb
>>
>> The server is a W2003 Advanced Server on a network running in
>> Mixed Mode. The PDC is W2K Advanced Server and the clients are
>> either XP Pro or 2000.

Jordan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I have done that and had no luck but I did find the problem. The Licene
Manager program was stopped on the PDC and once I started this and rebooted
the Termial Server the Terminal Server Licensing program started to work.

Why do I need to have to install the Terminal Server License manager program
on a server when it appears as though Terminal Server licenses are also
using License Manager which is already on Windows Servers?

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> telling me that my there are no license servers on my network
> >> and when I go to open the
> > license
> >> server manager from my terminal server it tells me that it
> >> can't locate
> > one
> >> either. If I choose to connect to my TS from the menu in the
> >> manager it shows my TS "MyTSServer" as activated, but none of
> >> my licenses were
> > issued.
> >>
> >> I have even reactivated successfully, but cannot connect
> >> clients either using Win XP Remote Desktop or via the web
> >> interface ActiveX controll on http://MyTSServer/tsweb
> >>
> >> The server is a W2003 Advanced Server on a network running in
> >> Mixed Mode. The PDC is W2K Advanced Server and the clients are
> >> either XP Pro or 2000.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I get the feeling that we are talking about two different things
here:
There is a Licensing applet on every Windows server, in Control
Panel - Licensing, which takes care of server CALs. These are
unrelated to TS CALs. Since the Licensing applet is notorious for
false warnings, a lot of system managers disable it by default,
and make sure that they have a server CAL for every client.

Starting the Licensing applet should not have any effect on the TS
Licensing Server. Rebooting the TS might have solved your problem,
though, whatever it was.

I'm not sure on which server the Licensing Service is running. But
since your TS runs 2003, the TS Licensing Server must also run on
a 2003 server (can be the same server as the TS).
I would keep a very close eye on the EventLog on the TS and the TS
Licensing Manager, to verify that everything is now working.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server