What will happen if no ActiveSync on PC when PPC connected

September 10, 2004 5:32:30 PM

Hi there. The HP iPAQ H/1940 manual seriously warns its users not to forget
installing ActiveSync on the PC,before the PPC gets connected. This is
extremely inconvenient, since sometime I just want to use it as a storage
device, copying MS Word document onto my customer's desktop with no
BlueTooth or any other wireless function. What will happen if I connect PPC
directly to the PC with no ActiveSync previously installed? My PPC or PC
will get damaged?

Any instruction will be appreciated.

Mingman
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:32:31 PM

No, your PPC will not get damaged, it will simply NOT be recognized
by the desktop computer or any other computer that doesn't have
ActiveSync on it. ActiveSync provides the conduit needed for the
operating system to 'see' the device as a PPC. otherwise, it will
just sit in Device Manager on your desktop and do nothing.
After it gets in there, and you want to install ActiveSync, it
will fail because you connected your PPC *before* installing ActiveSync.
To get around that, you'll manually need to remove the PPC's entry
from Device Manager while it is connected, and then reboot.
You can install ActiveSync without much hassle, you don't have to
specifically create a partnership as you can use the Guest
partnership if you just want to install something or copy a document.
But, if you're in situations where you visit your customers and
do not wish to install anything, then I would suggest that you
keep important documents on an USB Pen drive. these require no
drivers for systems with Windows 2000/XP and can be had cheap in
many stores.

$0.02

~S.

"Mingman Xu" <mingmanmail126@126.com> wrote in