P4 2.0 GHZ Underclock

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Are all your fans still working?
Get a can of air and blow out the heat sink and fans and power supply.
I would say something else is wrong.
When does it restart?

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Restart but sometimes i get a beep and i hear something stop spinning in my comp (fan? or hardisk?)and sometimes my computer freeze with a strange sound (bzzzzzzzzzzzzz) or i got a black screen and it say: emptying physic memory and then shut down and when it boot, i get BIOS screen and say incorrect CPU speed. But it runs at stock (2000 mhz).

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
the noises n such are prob hd related, physical memory dump is with ur RAM, maybe its bad memory/not enough (if u have 512 or less consider upgrading) not sure how to over/underclock only hear about it never tried :p

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
the noises n such are prob hd related, physical memory dump is with ur RAM, maybe its bad memory/not enough (if u have 512 or less consider upgrading) not sure how to over/underclock only hear about it never tried :p
i got 512 mb ram and i use 1gb of it normaly.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
waht do u mean u normally use 1gb... normally u dont just take it out when ur not gaming or whatever... and as for the noises im 99% sure that its ur hd... but open your case and see if theres any wires touching the fan, that may also cause the noise, if a blade fell of the fan ud hear a loud... plastic.... bang and itd sound kinda like a flat tire.... try running memtest to see if ur memory has any errors, and defrag.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
i always got my case open cuz if i put on, it overheat too faster i got 5 fans in my computer. all my fans are okay but only my PSU fan sometimes it dont work and my sensor for that fan dont work.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i think its time for an upgrade, start from scratch theres too many problems with ur comp :p... take it to a shop, get a friend to help, or upgrade

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What makes you so sure it's overheating? Tell us the temperatures, whether that's under load or just at idle.

Could also be memory or power supply. Download and run Memtest86 to check the RAM.

If you really want to underclock it though, the option you want is MANUAL. That will give you bus speed options.

although... Are you sure those are the options? I'm struggling to work out exactly what your CPU must be... If it's a 100FSB x 20 (I don't think they did make a faster FSB 2Ghz P4 did they? anyone?), then It would give 2666Mhz as an option. If it was the 133Mhz FSB one, it would give perhaps ~2500mhz and 3Ghz...

The only way I can think to get 3733 is if it's actually a 2.8Ghz 100MhzFSB chip, in which case a bus of 133Mhz would give the 3733 option...

Not sure if any boards of that age would allow a slower FSB than 100Mhz anyway, in which case you cant' actually underclock it anyway.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
i always got my case open cuz if i put on, it overheat too faster i got 5 fans in my computer. all my fans are okay but only my PSU fan sometimes it dont work and my sensor for that fan dont work.

Definately a problem. Your case should always be closed to allow for proper airflow (A mistake a LOT of people make). Make sure your fans are set up to allow for proper airflow (A lot of people put the fans in front facing INWARD, and the fans in the back (near the CPU) facing OUTWARD to exhaust the hot CPU air. It depends on your case design, though, and personal preference.

Make sure all of your fans are working, especially your processor fan and northbridge fan. Reset your BIOS and do not change clock speed settings. Keep your BIOS in health status and actively monitor the temps. CPU temp should never exceed 50C for a 2GHz northwood *edit*, especially idle.

If your CPU is overheating, try lowering the voltage for the processor slightly. If it's still overheating, then I recommend getting some silver-oxide heat transfer compound (www.tigerdirect.com has some good stuff from OCZ). I had a friend who has a 3.0 GHz northwood that was running at 90C (This is not exaggerated) and it was because his cheap radio-shack thermal compound, for whatever reason was acting as an insulator. He was having the same problems, although his BIOS was just forcing an instant-off at thermal.

I agree with the other posters, though. The likely culprit is probably your RAM. Make sure you test it. You should still clear your BIOS, though, just in case a bad setting is throwing something off. In fact, you should visit your MOBO MFR's website and flash your BIOS to the latest version.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Definately a problem. Your case should always be closed to allow for proper airflow (A mistake a LOT of people make). Make sure your fans are set up to allow for proper airflow (A lot of people put the fans in front facing INWARD, and the fans in the back (near the CPU) facing OUTWARD to exhaust the hot CPU air. It depends on your case design, though, and personal preference.

Make sure all of your fans are working, especially your processor fan and northbridge fan. Reset your BIOS and do not change clock speed settings. Keep your BIOS in health status and actively monitor the temps. CPU temp should never exceed 50C for a 2GHz northwood *edit*, especially idle.

If your CPU is overheating, try lowering the voltage for the processor slightly. If it's still overheating, then I recommend getting some silver-oxide heat transfer compound (www.tigerdirect.com has some good stuff from OCZ). I had a friend who has a 3.0 GHz northwood that was running at 90C (This is not exaggerated) and it was because his cheap radio-shack thermal compound, for whatever reason was acting as an insulator. He was having the same problems, although his BIOS was just forcing an instant-off at thermal.

I agree with the other posters, though. The likely culprit is probably your RAM. Make sure you test it. You should still clear your BIOS, though, just in case a bad setting is throwing something off. In fact, you should visit your MOBO MFR's website and flash your BIOS to the latest version.

My norm Temp with case opened and desktop fan: Idle: 26-27
Load: 40-42

My norm temp for closed case: Idle: 35-36
Load-60-65