Is printing from DOS boot disk supposed to work through LP..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 13, 2004 11:24:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
November 13, 2004 1:00:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

maybe because your DOS isn't DOS. If you bootdisk is WinME forget it - you
can't talk to ports outside of windows.

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
news:D tGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net...
> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM
ProPrinter
> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 7:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
writes
>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Depends on the printer. If yours is a Windows-only printer, it will
only print if Windows is up and running.
--
Thoss
Anonymous

In comp.periphs.printers thoss <thoss@thoss.plus.com> wrote:
> In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
> writes
> >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
> >
> Depends on the printer. If yours is a Windows-only printer, it will
> only print if Windows is up and running.

How can you tell if it is Windows only? The 880 printer supports both
Windows and Macs.
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 2:19:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

That was both Windows 98 (original) and Me disks.

--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:39:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
says...
> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

If the printer is USB only, forget it.

If it has a parallel port, it MIGHT work. I think most HP's still
support PCL natively (the 820 and 7xx series were the few that didn't.)
Some printers support only basic 10cpi courier printing without driver
support.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:44:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers
ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

It's unclear. See just past the middle of
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/Inkjet/sc880.htm
for "How can I print using Windows 3.x, DOS applications or from the DOS
prompt with this printer? "
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:01:32 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..

Most modern Printers do not support DOS printing..

November 14, 2004 1:01:33 PM

In comp.periphs.printers puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
> >
> >Thank you in advance. :)

> HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..

Sheesh! No wonder.

> Most modern Printers do not support DOS printing..

Who still supports it?
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:01:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Who still supports it?

Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:01:35 PM

In comp.periphs.printers xevious <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > Who still supports it?

> Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
> run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

I was referring to modern printers in "Most modern Printers do not support
DOS printing." Mine isn't modern anymore. ;)
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:53:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key.

The Epson Stylus Color 880 supports printing from DOS. I've tested it
up to Windows 98SE. Your command 'type filename.txt > lpt1' is
incorrect if you want to print to the printer. Your command will
create a file in the current directory. The command to print to the
printer is

type [filename] > lpt1: or
copy [filename] prn:
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 3:45:21 PM

In comp.periphs.printers Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

> It's unclear. See just past the middle of
> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/Inkjet/sc880.htm
> for "How can I print using Windows 3.x, DOS applications or from the DOS
> prompt with this printer? "

Interesting. What does D4 do?
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:42:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

The old printers tended to be more "intelligent" than the modern ones.
Back then, the printers all conformed to the standard "Epson" printing
language (not sure if it was ever officially called that).

Ever since windows95 came on the scene, manufacturers have been
simplifying the logic in the printers, moving the logic to the driver
side of things, focusing instead on the printhead technology. Good
news, it makes it cheaper to make the printers. Bad news, the
printers are dumb as a stump, so don't work without a driver telling
it what to do next which becomes a problem if you're not printing in
windows. To add insult, more and more manufacturers are taking out
the DOS emulation code in their drivers, so you may not even be able
to print from a DOS window if you're using a newer printer on a newer
windows like XP.

MCheu
November 14, 2004 9:29:33 PM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<-M-dnc_6_KdcOgrcRVn-rA@mminternet.net>...

> Interesting. What does D4 do?

From a little digging around, I think this refers to an extension of
the IEEE 1284 spec, for parallel printer cables, called "IEEE 1284.4"
familiarly D4 (for "dot 4").
See <http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DOT4.html&gt;
Apparently it allows separate channels, such as to communicate with
multi function (fax/print/scan) devices.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:05:14 AM

In comp.periphs.printers Alan <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<-M-dnc_6_KdcOgrcRVn-rA@mminternet.net>...
> >
> > Interesting. What does D4 do?

> From a little digging around, I think this refers to an extension of
> the IEEE 1284 spec, for parallel printer cables, called "IEEE 1284.4"
> familiarly D4 (for "dot 4").
> See <http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DOT4.html&gt;
> Apparently it allows separate channels, such as to communicate with
> multi function (fax/print/scan) devices.

Interesting. I wonder if this is for bidirectional, EPP, ECP, etc. I
think I forgot to try SPP (standard/original).
--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
November 15, 2004 12:48:30 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:01:32 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

>HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..
>
>Most modern Printers do not support DOS printing..

In the sense that most printers sold are cheap inkjets, true. But
"most" midrange printers and above, especially lasers, support PCL or
perhaps Epson ESC, and will print plain text sent to them (by a DOS
PRINT or COPY command) in their default font (probably a Courier
style).
..
November 15, 2004 12:48:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Look at the printer's specs, for the part which hopefully lists
"emulations". That's where it lists the printer languages the printer
knows. If none, it uses a proprietary interface, and only the
manufacturer's drivers will work, and they are often only available
for Windows.

Most standard languages, like HP's PCL and Epson's ESC, support plain
text and print it unadorned in the default font if you send a text
file to the printer.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 1:14:25 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:56:37 -0500, "xevious" <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> Who still supports it?
>
>Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
>run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

Contact HP as they did a few years ago..

November 15, 2004 12:59:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
puss@purrpurr.com writes
>There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

That's why every DOS program had to have its own printer drivers, one
for each supported printer.
--
Thoss
Anonymous

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:53:24 -0500, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
>>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key.
>
>The Epson Stylus Color 880 supports printing from DOS. I've tested it
>up to Windows 98SE. Your command 'type filename.txt > lpt1' is
>incorrect if you want to print to the printer. Your command will
>create a file in the current directory. The command to print to the
>printer is
>
>type [filename] > lpt1: or
>copy [filename] prn:

My Epson 740 did not print from DOS but the specs stated that it supported
DOS..

November 15, 2004 5:06:28 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:42:49 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
>>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>>
>>Thank you in advance. :)
>
>The old printers tended to be more "intelligent" than the modern ones.
>Back then, the printers all conformed to the standard "Epson" printing
>language (not sure if it was ever officially called that).
>
>Ever since windows95 came on the scene, manufacturers have been
>simplifying the logic in the printers, moving the logic to the driver
>side of things, focusing instead on the printhead technology. Good
>news, it makes it cheaper to make the printers. Bad news, the
>printers are dumb as a stump, so don't work without a driver telling
>it what to do next which becomes a problem if you're not printing in
>windows. To add insult, more and more manufacturers are taking out
>the DOS emulation code in their drivers, so you may not even be able
>to print from a DOS window if you're using a newer printer on a newer
>windows like XP.
>
>MCheu

There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

But there are some application that require DOS Drivers..

There re 2 separate DOS things, does it print in Command line DOS, or does
it support DOS printing with a Driver.

My Epson 740 stated that it has DOS support, but it would not print from a
command line..

November 15, 2004 7:38:04 PM

puss@purrpurr.com says...
> There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

It depends on just what type of DOS you mean. For true DOS (no Windows
loaded), it's up to the application to send the correct codes.

For DOS shells running under Windows, it's trickier. Some printer
drivers will trap the common printer API routines used by DOS programs
and translate to GDI.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 3:28:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:38:04 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
>puss@purrpurr.com says...
>> There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..
>
> It depends on just what type of DOS you mean. For true DOS (no Windows
>loaded), it's up to the application to send the correct codes.

I am referring to Command line DOS ONLY..

Like when you redirect the DIR to LPT1

> For DOS shells running under Windows, it's trickier. Some printer
>drivers will trap the common printer API routines used by DOS programs
>and translate to GDI.

November 20, 2004 1:17:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

NONE of the current crop of consumer level Photo printers will print without
a Windows (or Mac) printer driver.

The "print engine" is actually software installed in the operating system and
the printer is just a "dumb reciever" of print commands from the OS.

There MAY be a few printers around that can work from DOS, But I am not
aware of any modern (less than 3 years old) ink jet that can print from DOS.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <EeednUOT3oUUdwvcRVn-jw@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
> Who still supports it?
> --
> "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

A few Okidata (and other brands) dot matrix printers, a FEW Lazer printers.

None of them are inexpensive.

All of the lazer printers that can be had for < 400 (US) dollars use Windows
or MAC operating system for print engine.

There just isn't the demand for a printer that can do this.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c092ad99b02448b989836@news.comcast.giganews.com>...
> In article <EeednUOT3oUUdwvcRVn-jw@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
> > Who still supports it?
> > --
> > "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
> > /\___/\
> > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> > ( )
> >

> A few Okidata (and other brands) dot matrix printers, a FEW Lazer printers.
>
> None of them are inexpensive.
>
> All of the lazer printers that can be had for < 400 (US) dollars use Windows
> or MAC operating system for print engine.
>
> There just isn't the demand for a printer that can do this.

Just browsing for a few minutes found the "HP LaserJet 3015
All-in-One"
(fax, scan , print) for $299, which has PCL 5e and other emulations;
which will print plain text from DOS.

Looking at Brother, the HL-1440 has PCL-4 at $150.
The HL-5140 has PCL-6 at $200.
<http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/prn_personal_list_cn...;

I'm sure if I looked at other brands I'd find other cheaper models.
Ink-jets, yes, you have to pay a premium.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 3:21:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:17:30 -0500, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>
wrote:

>In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
>> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
>> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
>> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
>> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
>> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
>> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>>

>NONE of the current crop of consumer level Photo printers will print without
>a Windows (or Mac) printer driver.
>
>The "print engine" is actually software installed in the operating system and
>the printer is just a "dumb reciever" of print commands from the OS.
>
>There MAY be a few printers around that can work from DOS, But I am not
>aware of any modern (less than 3 years old) ink jet that can print from DOS.

Not in the Case with the Epsons..

HP also support DOS..
!