Is printing from DOS boot disk supposed to work through LP..

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
27 answers Last reply
More about printing boot disk supposed work
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    maybe because your DOS isn't DOS. If you bootdisk is WinME forget it - you
    can't talk to ports outside of windows.

    <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    > even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    > printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    > driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    > past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM
    ProPrinter
    > X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
    writes
    >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

    Depends on the printer. If yours is a Windows-only printer, it will
    only print if Windows is up and running.
    --
    Thoss
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In comp.periphs.printers thoss <thoss@thoss.plus.com> wrote:
    > In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
    > writes
    > >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    > >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    > >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    > >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    > >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    > >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    > >
    > Depends on the printer. If yours is a Windows-only printer, it will
    > only print if Windows is up and running.

    How can you tell if it is Windows only? The 880 printer supports both
    Windows and Macs.
    --
    "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    That was both Windows 98 (original) and Me disks.

    --
    "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
    to the cited author.]

    In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com
    says...
    > Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    > even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    > printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    > driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    > past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    > X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

    If the printer is USB only, forget it.

    If it has a parallel port, it MIGHT work. I think most HP's still
    support PCL natively (the 820 and 7xx series were the few that didn't.)
    Some printers support only basic 10cpi courier printing without driver
    support.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers
    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

    It's unclear. See just past the middle of
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/Inkjet/sc880.htm
    for "How can I print using Windows 3.x, DOS applications or from the DOS
    prompt with this printer? "
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    >
    >Thank you in advance. :)

    HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..

    Most modern Printers do not support DOS printing..

  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In comp.periphs.printers puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    > >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    > >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    > >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    > >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    > >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    > >
    > >Thank you in advance. :)

    > HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..

    Sheesh! No wonder.

    > Most modern Printers do not support DOS printing..

    Who still supports it?
    --
    "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Who still supports it?

    Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
    run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In comp.periphs.printers xevious <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    > > Who still supports it?

    > Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
    > run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

    I was referring to modern printers in "Most modern Printers do not support
    DOS printing." Mine isn't modern anymore. ;)
    --
    "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key.

    The Epson Stylus Color 880 supports printing from DOS. I've tested it
    up to Windows 98SE. Your command 'type filename.txt > lpt1' is
    incorrect if you want to print to the printer. Your command will
    create a file in the current directory. The command to print to the
    printer is

    type [filename] > lpt1: or
    copy [filename] prn:
  12. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In comp.periphs.printers Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers
    > ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    > >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    > >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    > >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    > >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    > >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

    > It's unclear. See just past the middle of
    > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/Inkjet/sc880.htm
    > for "How can I print using Windows 3.x, DOS applications or from the DOS
    > prompt with this printer? "

    Interesting. What does D4 do?
    --
    "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  13. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    >
    >Thank you in advance. :)

    The old printers tended to be more "intelligent" than the modern ones.
    Back then, the printers all conformed to the standard "Epson" printing
    language (not sure if it was ever officially called that).

    Ever since windows95 came on the scene, manufacturers have been
    simplifying the logic in the printers, moving the logic to the driver
    side of things, focusing instead on the printhead technology. Good
    news, it makes it cheaper to make the printers. Bad news, the
    printers are dumb as a stump, so don't work without a driver telling
    it what to do next which becomes a problem if you're not printing in
    windows. To add insult, more and more manufacturers are taking out
    the DOS emulation code in their drivers, so you may not even be able
    to print from a DOS window if you're using a newer printer on a newer
    windows like XP.

    MCheu
  14. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<-M-dnc_6_KdcOgrcRVn-rA@mminternet.net>...

    > Interesting. What does D4 do?

    From a little digging around, I think this refers to an extension of
    the IEEE 1284 spec, for parallel printer cables, called "IEEE 1284.4"
    familiarly D4 (for "dot 4").
    See <http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DOT4.html>
    Apparently it allows separate channels, such as to communicate with
    multi function (fax/print/scan) devices.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In comp.periphs.printers Alan <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<-M-dnc_6_KdcOgrcRVn-rA@mminternet.net>...
    > >
    > > Interesting. What does D4 do?

    > From a little digging around, I think this refers to an extension of
    > the IEEE 1284 spec, for parallel printer cables, called "IEEE 1284.4"
    > familiarly D4 (for "dot 4").
    > See <http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DOT4.html>
    > Apparently it allows separate channels, such as to communicate with
    > multi function (fax/print/scan) devices.

    Interesting. I wonder if this is for bidirectional, EPP, ECP, etc. I
    think I forgot to try SPP (standard/original).
    --
    "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  16. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:01:32 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    >HP did support DOS printing, I even range them about it but Not Epson..
    >
    >Most modern Printers do not support DOS printing..

    In the sense that most printers sold are cheap inkjets, true. But
    "most" midrange printers and above, especially lasers, support PCL or
    perhaps Epson ESC, and will print plain text sent to them (by a DOS
    PRINT or COPY command) in their default font (probably a Courier
    style).
    ..
  17. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.

    Look at the printer's specs, for the part which hopefully lists
    "emulations". That's where it lists the printer languages the printer
    knows. If none, it uses a proprietary interface, and only the
    manufacturer's drivers will work, and they are often only available
    for Windows.

    Most standard languages, like HP's PCL and Epson's ESC, support plain
    text and print it unadorned in the default font if you send a text
    file to the printer.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:56:37 -0500, "xevious" <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >> Who still supports it?
    >
    >Your old printer, i have a Canon i850 for photos and regular use but i still
    >run DOS so i keep my old Canon BJ100 for compatibility.

    Contact HP as they did a few years ago..

  19. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
    puss@purrpurr.com writes
    >There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

    That's why every DOS program had to have its own printer drivers, one
    for each supported printer.
    --
    Thoss
  20. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:53:24 -0500, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    >
    >>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key.
    >
    >The Epson Stylus Color 880 supports printing from DOS. I've tested it
    >up to Windows 98SE. Your command 'type filename.txt > lpt1' is
    >incorrect if you want to print to the printer. Your command will
    >create a file in the current directory. The command to print to the
    >printer is
    >
    >type [filename] > lpt1: or
    >copy [filename] prn:

    My Epson 740 did not print from DOS but the specs stated that it supported
    DOS..

  21. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:42:49 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:24:36 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    >
    >>Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >>even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >>printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >>driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >>past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >>X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance. :)
    >
    >The old printers tended to be more "intelligent" than the modern ones.
    >Back then, the printers all conformed to the standard "Epson" printing
    >language (not sure if it was ever officially called that).
    >
    >Ever since windows95 came on the scene, manufacturers have been
    >simplifying the logic in the printers, moving the logic to the driver
    >side of things, focusing instead on the printhead technology. Good
    >news, it makes it cheaper to make the printers. Bad news, the
    >printers are dumb as a stump, so don't work without a driver telling
    >it what to do next which becomes a problem if you're not printing in
    >windows. To add insult, more and more manufacturers are taking out
    >the DOS emulation code in their drivers, so you may not even be able
    >to print from a DOS window if you're using a newer printer on a newer
    >windows like XP.
    >
    >MCheu

    There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

    But there are some application that require DOS Drivers..

    There re 2 separate DOS things, does it print in Command line DOS, or does
    it support DOS printing with a Driver.

    My Epson 740 stated that it has DOS support, but it would not print from a
    command line..

  22. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
    puss@purrpurr.com says...
    > There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..

    It depends on just what type of DOS you mean. For true DOS (no Windows
    loaded), it's up to the application to send the correct codes.

    For DOS shells running under Windows, it's trickier. Some printer
    drivers will trap the common printer API routines used by DOS programs
    and translate to GDI.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross
  23. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:38:04 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
    <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

    >In article <m00gp050jfi0v5a3pphtth3se515na8m64@4ax.com>,
    >puss@purrpurr.com says...
    >> There are no Drivers to Print in DOS..
    >
    > It depends on just what type of DOS you mean. For true DOS (no Windows
    >loaded), it's up to the application to send the correct codes.

    I am referring to Command line DOS ONLY..

    Like when you redirect the DIR to LPT1

    > For DOS shells running under Windows, it's trickier. Some printer
    >drivers will trap the common printer API routines used by DOS programs
    >and translate to GDI.

  24. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
    > Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    > even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    > printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    > driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    > past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    > X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)

    NONE of the current crop of consumer level Photo printers will print without
    a Windows (or Mac) printer driver.

    The "print engine" is actually software installed in the operating system and
    the printer is just a "dumb reciever" of print commands from the OS.

    There MAY be a few printers around that can work from DOS, But I am not
    aware of any modern (less than 3 years old) ink jet that can print from DOS.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    In article <EeednUOT3oUUdwvcRVn-jw@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
    > Who still supports it?
    > --
    > "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

    A few Okidata (and other brands) dot matrix printers, a FEW Lazer printers.

    None of them are inexpensive.

    All of the lazer printers that can be had for < 400 (US) dollars use Windows
    or MAC operating system for print engine.

    There just isn't the demand for a printer that can do this.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c092ad99b02448b989836@news.comcast.giganews.com>...
    > In article <EeednUOT3oUUdwvcRVn-jw@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
    > > Who still supports it?
    > > --
    > > "None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
    > > /\___/\
    > > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > > ( )
    > >

    > A few Okidata (and other brands) dot matrix printers, a FEW Lazer printers.
    >
    > None of them are inexpensive.
    >
    > All of the lazer printers that can be had for < 400 (US) dollars use Windows
    > or MAC operating system for print engine.
    >
    > There just isn't the demand for a printer that can do this.

    Just browsing for a few minutes found the "HP LaserJet 3015
    All-in-One"
    (fax, scan , print) for $299, which has PCL 5e and other emulations;
    which will print plain text from DOS.

    Looking at Brother, the HL-1440 has PCL-4 at $150.
    The HL-5140 has PCL-6 at $200.
    <http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/prn_personal_list_cntr.html>

    I'm sure if I looked at other brands I'd find other cheaper models.
    Ink-jets, yes, you have to pay a premium.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:17:30 -0500, Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet>
    wrote:

    >In article <DtGdnYHQf5S5hAvcRVn-sQ@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com says...
    >> Someone told me that booting to DOS with a boot disk will not let me print
    >> even with type filename.txt > lpt1 and print key. Is it because of lack of
    >> printer drivers? I always thought printers had a standard to work without
    >> driver in DOS. I was puzzled why it didn't work now, but it worked in the
    >> past. Maybe because I had an old HP 560c Deskjet printer and IBM ProPrinter
    >> X24LE(?) dot matrix printer.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance. :)
    >>

    >NONE of the current crop of consumer level Photo printers will print without
    >a Windows (or Mac) printer driver.
    >
    >The "print engine" is actually software installed in the operating system and
    >the printer is just a "dumb reciever" of print commands from the OS.
    >
    >There MAY be a few printers around that can work from DOS, But I am not
    >aware of any modern (less than 3 years old) ink jet that can print from DOS.

    Not in the Case with the Epsons..

    HP also support DOS..

Printers DOS Boot Peripherals