How can i be sure that the VPN client "reroutes traffic th..

Well,
i have a computer A (Win XP Pro) connect with cable to my Router
(ADSL), and computer B using WLAN to connect to Router. Now i want to
setup a VPN between A and B, forcing internet traffic from B to go
through a VPN tunnel to B (making a secure WLAN).
It all seems to work fine, with computer A as server and computer B as
client, But:
i'm not totally sure i understand how the VPN client works.
1. initially, when i start up computer B (with WLAN), i can surf the
internet, as it goes directly through the router out on the internet.
2. I then start up the VPN client (Win XP build in) on computer B, and
i can see on computer A that the client connects ok.
3. Now i can still surf the net from computer B, but i really dont
know if the traffic still just goes directly from computer B (WLAN)
through the router out on the internet, or if the VPN client now
automatically forces all the traffic to go through the VPN tunnel to
computer B, and then out through the router to the internet?

So does the VPN client work this way: when started it just takes any
IP traffic on computer and forces it through the VPN tunnel, even
though the traffic worked fine without the VPN client?

Do you know what i mean? Because i'm not completely sure if my setup
is protecting my WLAN.

/Micahel
1 answer Last reply
More about client reroutes traffic

    > So does the VPN client work this way: when started it just takes any
    > IP traffic on computer and forces it through the VPN tunnel, even
    > though the traffic worked fine without the VPN client?

    You can use a sniffer (Ethereal is great) to see if the IP address is
    the one assigned by your VPN host. This might not be the best but I
    have been using it. Any body has better ideas?

    VB

    > Do you know what i mean? Because i'm not completely sure if my setup
    > is protecting my WLAN.
    >
    > /Micahel

VPN Computers Networking