retrieving deleted files

can I retrieve deleted files which I have emptied from the recycle bin and if
so how?.

Once you empty files from the Recycle Bin, those files are
usually permanently deleted from your computer.

You may wish to try a possible third-party solution:
http://www.file-saver.com/undelete/menu.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"zenman" wrote:

| can I retrieve deleted files which I have emptied from the recycle bin and if
| so how?.

Hi,

To try and retrieve your deleted files, you would want to use an undelete
utility. These are commonly available for free, and work on the premise that
the space the file formerly occupied has not been overwritten with new data
yet. Once that has occured, recovery requires more extensive (and expensive)
work with dedicated forensic tools by someone who knows what they are doing.

This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

zenman wrote:
> can I retrieve deleted files which I have emptied from the recycle
> bin and if so how?.

The most important thing you must know, regardless which of the file
recovery applications you decide to use, is that when a file is deleted,
windows marks that space on the disk as free to be used by another file. If
another file overwrites part of that space, that bit of the file is lost
forever and may become completely unreadable by the program used to open it.
The more time that passes from you deleting a file to the time you try to
recover it, the less chance there is of a full and successful recovery.

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Hi

You may be able to recover files deleted from the Recycle Bin with a 3rd
party 'undelete' program:

http://www.geocities.jp/br_kato/
http://www.execsoft.com/undelete/undelete.asp
--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"zenman" <zenman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can I retrieve deleted files which I have emptied from the recycle bin and
> if
> so how?.

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

I have Norton Utilities and Iolo's System Mechanic, both of which can
recover deleted files provided that space hasn't been overwritten.

--

Kenny