Canon i860 will not correctly print photos from older camera

Hello. My PC is running XP Home SP2. My printer is a Canon i860.
Yesterday, I was trying to print out some old pictures (in JPEG format)
taken by a cheap-quality digital camera (Creative PC-CAM 350) that I don't
use anymore. The images were not very sharp, but you could definitely make
them out.

Anyway, whenever I tried to print out an image, the picture was
completely blurred and smeared. Nothing distinguishable came out. The
preview option with the Windows Photo Printing Wizard also depicted the
photos coming out messed up.

All other photos on my computer, including those taken with my new
digital camera print out perfectly, and they also preview just fine. Any
ideas why this glitch happened?
7 answers Last reply
More about canon i860 correctly print photos older camera

    HistoryFan wrote:

    > Hello. My PC is running XP Home SP2. My printer is a Canon i860.
    > Yesterday, I was trying to print out some old pictures (in JPEG format)
    > taken by a cheap-quality digital camera (Creative PC-CAM 350) that I don't
    > use anymore. The images were not very sharp, but you could definitely make
    > them out.
    >
    > Anyway, whenever I tried to print out an image, the picture was
    > completely blurred and smeared. Nothing distinguishable came out. The
    > preview option with the Windows Photo Printing Wizard also depicted the
    > photos coming out messed up.
    >
    > All other photos on my computer, including those taken with my new
    > digital camera print out perfectly, and they also preview just fine. Any
    > ideas why this glitch happened?

    You didn't say what layout you specified to the Wizard, nor what the
    resolution/size of your older jpg's are. Chances are your newer jpg's
    are a much higher resolution that the older ones.

    If you let the Wizard try to print large pictures from low resolution
    jpg's the system tries to enlarge your jpg's, and the results will be
    disappointing. Is that your situation? If you select "contact sheet"
    for the layout does the problem go away?

    Bernie

    I should add that the images (from the old camera) only print out
    wrong when I go thru the Photo Printing Wizard. I just printed out one of
    those pics using the IrfanView program and it came out fine. As I said
    before, all other pics work just fine with the Photo Printing Wizard.

    HistoryFan wrote:

    > I should add that the images (from the old camera) only print out
    >wrong when I go thru the Photo Printing Wizard. I just printed out one of
    >those pics using the IrfanView program and it came out fine. As I said
    >before, all other pics work just fine with the Photo Printing Wizard.

    It might be a compatibility issue with Windows and the old JPEG format
    used by the camera, although I haven't heard of this issue before.

    And since it only happens with that combination, don't use them. :)

    > You didn't say what layout you specified to the Wizard, nor what the
    > resolution/size of your older jpg's are. Chances are your newer jpg's are
    > a much higher resolution that the older ones.

    None of the Wizard layouts worked with the photos from the older
    camera. Dimensions are 352x288, size around 28kb.

    >If you select "contact sheet"
    > for the layout does the problem go away?

    Let me correct myself a bit. The problem photos WILL display when I
    use the "contact sheet" layout. But I would never want to use that
    particular setting because the images are too small. The other layouts
    don't work.

    Not sure but it sounds like you are trying to print a thumbnail image
    (albeit large) (352x288) as a full sized print. Resolution problem betwwen
    print and display resolution....David

    >>If you select "contact sheet"
    >> for the layout does the problem go away?
    >>

    > Let me correct myself a bit. The problem photos WILL display when I
    > use the "contact sheet" layout. But I would never want to use that
    > particular setting because the images are too small. The other layouts
    > don't work.

    "HistoryFan" <IreallyHATEspam@IreallyHATEspam.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. My PC is running XP Home SP2. My printer is a Canon i860.
    > Yesterday, I was trying to print out some old pictures (in JPEG format)
    > taken by a cheap-quality digital camera (Creative PC-CAM 350) that I don't
    > use anymore. The images were not very sharp, but you could definitely
    > make them out.
    >
    > Anyway, whenever I tried to print out an image, the picture was
    > completely blurred and smeared. Nothing distinguishable came out. The
    > preview option with the Windows Photo Printing Wizard also depicted the
    > photos coming out messed up.
    >
    > All other photos on my computer, including those taken with my new
    > digital camera print out perfectly, and they also preview just fine. Any
    > ideas why this glitch happened?

    Yes they are old low res images from a cheap digital camera that do not even
    preview properly.
    turn off the trolling motor

Printers Canon Peripherals