Need some help choosing a Motherboard

sodaman420

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Okay, i need some help pickin' out a motherboard.
I dont necessarily need SLI, but if i can't get very much good without it, it will do.
I also need some headers in the front, (2) usb 2.0, (1) firewire, and the mic and headphones put ins to go with my case.
Needs to support a raid 0, and it needs to support AMD athalon 4400 series ( 939 socket).
also has to have 4 ddr slots for ram.
i had some ideas but im not sure if it has all that, mainly confused on the headers, and how to tell if it has the headers or not
for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127212
Just want to be sure that meets those requirements, any insight would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
-Tony

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
the headers in the front you are talking about is dependent on your case. if your case has the plugs you should be good with just about any modern mobo. the one you picked out will do what you want it to do for sure but i have always been a fan of ASUS myself. i have had two ASUS mobos and taken them out of old comps that have had other parts give out on em where the ASUS held up. with any mobo you get now you will probably need to flash the bios in order to get full support of the 4400+ in the case of the ABIT or even an mid range ASUS (pretty much anything you buy) you may not even get dual core support until you flash the bios.

about flashing bios. if you dont know. its usually easy. most motherboards come with a windows utility that will automatically download and flash the most update bios for your mobo.

hope that helps!

oh and newegg is great but if you havent already check pricegrabber.com

FeNiX

linux_0

Splendid
If you want a good board for OC'ing get a DFI Lanparty nForce4 otherwise look into getting an ASUS A8N series nForce4 :D

DFI = great OC
ASUS = stability and features at a price

Semper Fi Linux on!