Dell 3100cn - Anyone have any comments?

bill

"..../~~~\\..../``````\\...../~~~\\................" <> wrote:

>Looking into a Dell 3100cn. Anyone have this printer? Any comments?

All or most of Dell's printers are Lexmark models with the Dell name
slapped on them. I'm not sure of that particular model, but you might
want to try looking for the equivalent Lexmark and then do comparisons.

Think carefully about your need for a colour laser over
a colour inkjet due to the cost of a set of consumables.

If you plan on using it heavily:
o Price in the cost of consumables for a given annual usage
o Price in also any failure outside warranty re sunk-cost
---- sunk-cost of the printer, and the consumables you put in it
---- repairs out of warranty may not necessarily be economic
o Consider leasing it vs outright purchase if a business
---- leasing is fully expensable whereas purchase is depreciated

Repeat for a typical inkjet.

Now for both inkjet & laser, price out consumable *compatibles".
Verify particularly that compatibles exist - altho cost saving for a
laser is somewhat muted compared to the inkjet savings possible.

Now consider if a mix of Colour inkjet & B&W laser will do, for
many people it will - and colour lasers are very expensive to run.

If you plan on using it intermittently:
o Do the same analysis, but particularly repair/consumables
o £300 on consumables for a £350 printer isn't very attractive

Finally, remember Dell outsource repairs re turnaround time.

If the laser output is favoured for archiving, remember that you
can get proper archive papers & inks for inkjets. If the laser output
is favoured for quality, consider a high-end inkjet & special papers,
or perhaps lamination where physical protection is of importance.

Important to google on colour lasers, and on competitors offerings.

Companies like HP are basically loss-making enterprises until you
add in the profit from consumables - rest is as much a loss-leader.
IT industry in that respect is becoming like the airline industry, as
a whole it doesn't make a profit - just varies which part is in profit :)

Leasing can allow you to upgrade the printer within the lease period,
so has other benefits beyond free cash flow or overall cost etc. It is
the running cost that adds up on a colour laser, not purchase price.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo & NMB fans

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:57:42 -0600,

>Looking into a Dell 3100cn. Anyone have this printer? Any comments?
>Thanks!

It's from Dell - that makes it expansive as far as consumables are
concerned, built down to match a price and, if you're really unlucky,
built by Lexmark.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com