Disable Shutdown of Server for TS Clients

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 21, 2004 8:06:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Server 2k3 - No Domain, therefore no AD

How do I disable remote shutdown (via Ctrl-Alt-Esc for instance) for all Remote Desktop Connection Users except of course a remotely connected Administrator?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 5:49:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Normal users do not have sufficient rights to shutdown the server. If
they can, they have Administrators rights, and there is no way to
stop them doing things like that. Shutting down the server is the
least of your problems, if your users are Administrators.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWw=?=" <Nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Server 2k3 - No Domain, therefore no AD
>
> How do I disable remote shutdown (via Ctrl-Alt-Esc for instance)
> for all Remote Desktop Connection Users except of course a
> remotely connected Administrator?
July 21, 2004 7:16:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Yes I thought that was the case - However that brings me to another chestnut. They are Administrators because it's the only way they can run Filemaker 5. Furthermore, if I specify the shortcut on their desktop as the program to run @ logon, they get the error that windows can't find the file! (This is the case if the shortcut is for notepad as well).

I know there should be a domain & AD and that life would be simpler, but there isn't & it's not

Nigel

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Normal users do not have sufficient rights to shutdown the server. If
> they can, they have Administrators rights, and there is no way to
> stop them doing things like that. Shutting down the server is the
> least of your problems, if your users are Administrators.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWw=?=" <Nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Server 2k3 - No Domain, therefore no AD
> >
> > How do I disable remote shutdown (via Ctrl-Alt-Esc for instance)
> > for all Remote Desktop Connection Users except of course a
> > remotely connected Administrator?

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:42:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Having a domain and AD would actually not make your life simpler
at all, at least not regarding the issues you are having.

As you have noticed, you can't specify a shortcut as a starting
program. Specify the full path to the application. If you need to
use parameters, then put the command to start the application in a
batch file and use that batch file as the starting application.
I.e define C:\bat\start.bat as the starting program, with
start.bat containing something like:

C:\Program Files\my_prog.exe /L H:\data\my_data.dat

About your permission problem: when an application runs OK for
Administrators, but not for normal users, do *never* make the
users Administrators. Doing so means the beginning of the end of
your TS stability.

Instead, download FileMon and RegMon from
http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run them as administrator, start
a TS session as a normal user and try to run the application.

FileMon and RegMon will show you all "access denied" errors
that occur, so that you can give your users the necessary
permissions on a file-to file or Registry subkey basis.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

!