Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cannot create new folders on desktop

Last response: in Windows 7
March 20, 2011 9:54:26 PM

I don't know what I downloaded that caused the problem, but now when I try to make a new folder on the desktop of my new Windows 7 computer, I have only the following choices: Shortcut, Bitmap Image, Contact, Microsoft Word Document, Journal Document, Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation, Text Document, Microsoft Excel Worksheet, and Briefcase. No new folder choice. Anyone have any ideas how I can correct the problem?

Ricochet_16

More about : create folders desktop

March 21, 2011 5:34:07 PM

I found the answer to my question, and I’ll post the solution in case anyone else has that problem. Click on the following link and run the Create New Folder Fix:

< http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/tutorials/7715d1225... >

Then right click on the downloaded NewFolderFix.reg file and click on Merge to add to your registry. Click on the Run button in the Security Warning prompt, click on continue in the UAC prompt, click on Yes in the confirmation prompt, and click on OK in the success prompt. Then log off and log on, or restart your computer, to apply the fix. The “folder” option was then added to the choices on the menu.

This fix is supposed to work for both Vista and Windows 7. I would recommend that you save the fix in case the “create a new folder” option disappears on you again.

Ricochet_16
m
l

Best solution

July 21, 2011 4:33:45 AM

Here is an alternate solution for that and similar problems, from Windows 7 Forums:

< http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/28677-new-context-... >

Ricochet_16
Related resources
July 21, 2011 8:40:25 PM

I haven't tried that one. The tool, NewFolderFix.reg worked for me the first time that occurred. The second time, one of the tools mentioned in Shawn's post on Windows Seven Forums [listed as #5, To Remove or Restore "Folder"] worked automatically and instantaneously, whereas I received and error message when trying to use the first tool I had previously downloaded. His post gave remove/restore solutions for nine other Default Windows 7 "New" Context Menu Items, as well, and all those tools can be downloaded free.

Ricochet_16
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:08:03 AM

my pbm is tht i cant able to create new folder on desktop.on windows 7 os.can anyone solve ths pbm
m
l
Anonymous
April 9, 2013 4:37:29 PM

This is a quick fix if you haven't deleted your Recycle bin lately!

You do not need to Download any programs. After an hour of checking forums I found that I accidentally deleted the New Folder Option and it was in my recycle bin. Go to your Recycle bin, look for a folder the says "New Folder" click on "restore" it to its original place and most likely your problem will be fixed like mine.

Ricochet_16 said:
I don't know what I downloaded that caused the problem, but now when I try to make a new folder on the desktop of my new Windows 7 computer, I have only the following choices: Shortcut, Bitmap Image, Contact, Microsoft Word Document, Journal Document, Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation, Text Document, Microsoft Excel Worksheet, and Briefcase. No new folder choice. Anyone have any ideas how I can correct the problem?

Ricochet_16

m
l
May 1, 2013 8:16:45 PM

Ricochet_16 said:
I found the answer to my question, and I’ll post the solution in case anyone else has that problem. Click on the following link and run the Create New Folder Fix:

Then right click on the downloaded NewFolderFix.reg file and click on Merge to add to your registry. Click on the Run button in the Security Warning prompt, click on continue in the UAC prompt, click on Yes in the confirmation prompt, and click on OK in the success prompt. Then log off and log on, or restart your computer, to apply the fix. The “folder” option was then added to the choices on the menu.

This fix is supposed to work for both Vista and Windows 7. I would recommend that you save the fix in case the “create a new folder” option disappears on you again.

Ricochet_16

Yes! This solution worked for my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit which had the same problem of not creating new folders. Now it does. This solution even restored the shortcuts and icons for creating a new folder.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-
m
l
May 15, 2013 10:20:16 AM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

I had the same problem, and new folder fix worked for me.

m
l
May 26, 2013 3:15:33 PM

Ricochet_16 said:
Here is an alternate solution for that and similar problems, from Windows 7 Forums:

Ricochet_16

This is the thing that worked for me to restore the NEW folder to my win 7 ultimate. Thanks a bunch
If you need help with an Excel project ask at dguillett1 @gmail.com. Remove spaces
E
m
l
May 31, 2013 12:03:39 PM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

This solution is the best so far, I tried the download and the extracting the files and continued the instructions and WHAMOO.. Right clicked my desktop >new> Folder option as there, a expected. I even kept the file ..just in case.
m
l
June 2, 2013 2:04:03 PM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

m
l
June 4, 2013 10:24:52 AM

SuperShoe said:
Ricochet_16 said:

This seemed to help I can now see the " NEW FOLDER" option

Ricochet_16

This is the thing that worked for me to restore the NEW folder to my win 7 ultimate. Thanks a bunch
If you need help with an Excel project ask at dguillett1 @gmail.com. Remove spaces
E

m
l
June 4, 2013 10:25:44 AM

This option worked fantastically I can utilize the new folder option.
m
l
July 8, 2013 7:39:51 PM

Anonymous said:

You do not need to Download any programs. After an hour of checking forums I found that I accidentally deleted the New Folder Option and it was in my recycle bin. Go to your Recycle bin, look for a folder the says "New Folder" click on "restore" it to its original place and most likely your problem will be fixed like mine.

Excellent advice. Thanks!

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

m
l
July 8, 2013 7:40:21 PM

m
l
August 19, 2013 5:49:27 PM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

m
l
August 19, 2013 5:51:06 PM

dave70 said:
Anonymous said:

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

m
l
August 28, 2013 4:22:33 PM

Thanks for that, really helped out!
m
l
November 1, 2013 9:23:31 AM

idahospud88 said:
ssprashanth said:
my pbm is tht i cant able to create new folder on desktop.on windows 7 os.can anyone solve ths pbm

This helped me...change newfolderfix .reg to .inf and install. Worked instantly.

http://superuser.com/questions/76916/cant-create-new-fo...

m
l
November 1, 2013 9:25:20 AM

Wanted to thank the superuser for the "newfolderfix.inf" - It worked immediately and perfectly.
m
l
December 3, 2013 5:44:32 AM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

Hello,
Yes, it is so easy, fo to the control panel--- All control panel items------ go to folder options --- open and click on Restore Defaults.
m
l
December 3, 2013 5:48:38 AM

Hello,
Yes, it is so easy, fo to the control panel--- All control panel items------ go to folder options --- open and click on Restore Defaults.
m
l
December 9, 2013 10:31:14 PM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

m
l
December 9, 2013 10:31:51 PM

This fix no longer works - do you have a current fix?
m
l
December 9, 2013 10:43:51 PM

ziakashmiri said:
Hello,

m
l
December 9, 2013 10:45:35 PM

Restoring the defaults did not fix the problem - there still is no New Folder option. Should I have restarted windows 7 after restoring defaults?
m
l
January 27, 2014 7:59:50 AM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16

m
l
January 27, 2014 8:01:33 AM

I am trying to create a folder instead of a briefcase. I did exactly as you said, and it did not work. I am using Windows Vista Home. I HATE the Briefcase thing.
m
l
January 27, 2014 8:42:40 AM

OK, now it works. Thanks very much.
m
l
February 26, 2014 8:58:47 AM

Ricochet_16 said:

Ricochet_16
I know you've already solved the problem but I thought I'd mention a way to live with it if you're a person who doesn't trust easy-fix download sites. You can always just right click on an already existing folder in Windows Explorer, then copy and paste it so that a duplicate folder is created, then delete everything inside the duplicate and simply rename it as you would normally. It only takes a few seconds. I always keep a spare empty folder available so I can just copy and rename it without needing to delete any contents. That way it's nearly just about as quick to create a new folder as it was before the briefcase problem started.

m
l
!