Need help setting up sata drive on asus p4c 800-e deluxe

mrcaveman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Currently I have two hard drives installed and have another WD 3200 sata drv I want to install as a none raid drive. The mother board came with 4 sata cables and two sata power cables which I can't fiqure out what the pwr cables are for as I thought all I had to due is to connect a 4 pin power plug into the drive and connect the drive with the provided cable.

I flashed the bios to the lastest 1023. I changed the bios to sata, no raid and IDE. Do I have to install any drivers for the on board promise controler and if I so , how? I think I'm making this issue harder than it realy is but I don't have any experence with sata drives. The mother board manual only gives info if you are using a raid setup. Please advise. Thanks to everyone. I built this system 3 yrs ago.

CP

Skittles

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Ok your in luck as I own that board, There are 2 things you will need to do first thing you wanna make sure that the promise controller is "Enabled" in the Bios and that you set it to "IDE" Not "RAID" 2nd I belive you will need drivers for windows to regonnize it (Not sure if you'll need drivers because I never used the promise contoller) The Promise controller is located in the Advanced Settings in the BIOS and is found in "Onboard Devices Configuration. The Latest Drivers can be found here [code:1:ac4fad5774]http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378raid_100137.zip[/code:1:ac4fad5774]

I hope this helps ;)

linux_0

Splendid
Agree with previous poster :D

The SATA power cables are used in case your SATA HDD does not have a "legacy" 4pin molex connector +5V -5V -12V +12V pins 4 3 2 1 respectively.

Some SATA HDDs have an SATA PWR connector AND a 4pin Molex connector others
only have an SATA PWR connector so you would have to use the SATA PWR adapter cable.

If your HDD has both a 4 pin molex and an SATA PWR connector NEVER EVER plug both of them in at the same time or you may destroy your drive!

STD 4pin molex:
http://www.nuggetlab.com/comptia_files/equipment/perif_Molex%20style%20power%20connector.jpg

SATA PWR:
http://www.jdr.com/images/products/C/CBL-SATA-PWR.jpg

To use the SATA drive you just need to plug it in and make sure the SATA controller sees it during boot in non-RAID mode.

You will then have to get the right the SATA controller drivers for your operating system.

Good luck!

Semper Fi Linux on!

mrcaveman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Thanks.

I downloaded the promise driver and unziped the files. I put a floppy in drv A and clicked on make disk. This transfered the files to a floppy.

Opened the device manager, and pointed to have disk and added the promise controler for winxp and it seemed to go ok. However, after it installed the drivers I got the following message.

Cannot start this hardware
WINXP promise fastrak 370(tm) controler

This device cannot start (code 10)

Each time I would uninstall the driver and reinstall I get the same message.

I decided to reboot to see if the bios was detecting the drv anyhow. The prompt said "detecting device" and then showed the new hard drive correctly and IDE bus master enabled and booted just fine.

Now, when I went into manage to format the drive it was not there. When I left click on disk management I could not get the initialize wizard to come up so windows would detect the drive. I got out and rebooted the computer again. It appears to detect the drv ok but this time I entered the bios setup. I looked in the ide configuration and every where else but the drive was not listed. So the prompt indicates it found the drive but in fact it is not listed in the bios anywhere.

I'm not sure why the controler will not install corectly. I even downloaded it again but with the same results. I'm pulling my hair out now so please come back with some more suggestion. And thanks for your help. You got me further than I would have on my own.

CP

linux_0

Splendid
That board has 2 SATA controllers the onboard Intel SATA and the Promise 20378 PATA and SATA controller.

2 x SATA connectors are attached to the Intel controller

1 x PATA connectors is attached to the Promise 20378
2 x SATA connectors are also attached to the Promise 20378

Which controller is your WD3200 HDD plugged into?

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=175&l1=3&l2=12&l3=30

SATA drives usually do not appear in the main BIOS but are handled by the SATA controller BIOS. Additional PATA or SATA HDDs on this board are handled by the Promise BIOS and not the main BIOS. You have to hit a special key combination to go into the Promise BIOS.

mrcaveman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
You got it right. I had it connected to the wrong controler. I switched to the first SATA and then selected disable promise controler in the bios and not it works fine.

Thinks for your help.

I still can't fiqure out why the promise driver would not install. This is bothering me becausse if I do decide to use this some day I stuck. Thanks again.

CP

linux_0

Splendid
You're welcome :D

I'm not sure why the Promise driver wasn't installing correctly... maybe a buggy or incompatible version... I'm not sure. Did you use the one from the ASUS website? Was it the one specified for your OS? Did winblows update suggest a different driver?

I built a new machines with that same motherboard but I do not believe I ever used the Promise controller.

Good Luck! :D

Semper Fi Linux on!

Skittles

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Well I just tried my Promise Controller and everthing seems to work fine, I dunno if you have a defective controller or what, Also I read somewhere that you need atleast (ServicePack 1) for it to work properly. Also I gave you the wrong driver (Sorry) that was the RAID Driver you needed the ATA Driver I have the link to the right driver now once again I apologize, GOod Luck It Should Work now ;)

-Enable Promise Controller
-RAID Off
-Configure The Drive In The Promise Bios (Not Always Needed)
[code:1:850aba4600]http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/378ATA100130.zip[/code:1:850aba4600]
-Those Drivers are for ever OS too ;)
-Load Drivers
-Hopefully It Works if not I will do much more research to try and help you out

hafizullah

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
This is an old thread, so my apologies.

I have an ASUS A7V8X with this SATA controller. On my board, to get Windows to see the Promise controller, you have to supply the driver when Windows is setting up. Early in the Setup cycle you will get a prompt to press F6 to install any 3rd-party SCSI or other devices. (Windows enumerates the Promise controller as a SCSI device.) So you press F6 and Setup continues. At a certain later point, it will ask you for the driver disk in A:, and after loading the driver, Setup proceeds and eventually loads the GUI.

Note: if you get a totally black screen and Setup stalls after loading the driver, the driver is corrupted and you should look for a different source. The WinXP driver for my board on ASUS' site was damaged, so I selected Win2000 for the download, and inasmuch as it's the same driver binary, it gave me a different instance of the driver and it worked fine.

HTH.

Hafizullah