VPN Newbie basic help needed - connect from home office to..

Last response: in Networking
May 7, 2004 7:54:46 AM

OK, I am a total beginner with regard to VPN's.

Here is my problem:-

I would like to connect from home to my works network - to be able to
access files, network resources as if I am at the office.

My office Network is running Novell netware 5.1
My office is connected to the internet via a Cisco 1721.

My home is connected to the internet via Cable (Telewest) modem and a
Netgear Wirless router.

What hardware/ software (preferably software) - as I gather you can
use either? would you recommend or do I require? (ideally not costing
a fortune or in fact better still free!)

I am sure I can get hold of all configuration of the Cisco router as I
have the IP and passwords to telnet to the works router.

I can provide further info. Please, please, please help!!

Who knows I will probably then need help setting it up........

If no-one here can help, can you please point me in the right
direction!! I have scoured the internet for info - with no success.

Thanks.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:55:30 PM

> Here is my problem:-
>
> I would like to connect from home to my works network - to be able to
> access files, network resources as if I am at the office.

Do you want to have a VPN? In that case you need to first get details
if the service is available at work. I am not sure that if Novell
Netware itself has this feature.

If not VPN, I think you can also connect using remote desktop or use
Real VNC.

VB

!