Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • DFI
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2006 2:02:58 PM

Just looking for some opinions here about motherboard selection

I'm building a system to replace my PIII and want to go with an Opteron. I've been looking at the ASUS A8N32-SLI & the DFI UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert. Its my firm opinion that a good mobo goes a long way toward system performance and future upgrades. The primary purpose of the machine will be everyday home use, but this system will need to run Oblivion fluidly (or anything else that comes out that I take a fancy to :D  ). Opinions on the two? I've heard the DFI is better for overclocking, but would like to hear more.

Fritz

More about : asus dfi

January 20, 2006 3:53:36 PM

From the reviews that I've read, A8N32-SLI is a superb motherboard, that reaches right up to the caliber that DFI provides. From a usablity perspective, the largest difference between the two is that DFI provides you with more options in the BIOS to modify things. But this comes at a price, as there's more to configure just to get the system running before you start to overclock.

My opinion: If you're just going for stock, or casual overclocking, then the A8N32 is probably your better option. However, if you're going for high overclocking, then you may want to try DFI, although ASUS did put up the better results on anandtech. Really, I think it's a matter of hit and miss when you reach this level.
January 20, 2006 4:11:46 PM

I dont have the uber cool version of your DFI board but i have the non-sli one and its Super cool for gaming and overclocking, More bios features then you can wack a stick at lol
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 20, 2006 5:03:53 PM

I've some expierience with both boards...

If you have plently of spare time to muck around in the bios and/or you're interested in serious overclocking DFI is the way to go. I've found DFI motherboards to be hellish just to get to work at stock speeds but once you find the sweet spot they really scream...

If you want to plug everything in and go ASUS by a mile. All the ASUS stuff I've ever used just boots and runs and has been dead nuts reliable...
January 22, 2006 9:32:53 PM

Worth finding out what DFI support are like.

ASUS take about 5 days to answer online queries (the only way) and then in poor English. Very poor support IMHO.

--Alan
January 26, 2006 12:20:10 AM

The Asus A8N32-SLI outperforms the DFI board hands down. Here's a great review comparing the 2:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589

So if you want pure performance, the Asus board is the way to go. If you want features, overclockability, etc, the DFI board is the way to go.

-mpjesse
!