Sign in with
Your question

What is the difference between a DVD and combo drive????

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2006 3:19:23 PM

Ok-Both are able to burn DVDs, and both are able to burn CDs....but one is called a combo drive and another a DVD Drive. Newegg makes a distinction between them, but I can't. Can anyone help me out? I just want a single drive that will burn both DVDs and CDs, and also function primarily as a basic optical drive. Thanks
January 20, 2006 4:07:45 PM

Being a regular NewEgg purchaser myself, the term Combo Drive normally refers to a DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-R/W drive hence the Combination of DVD/CD. However it can also refer to floppy/flash reader drives.
January 20, 2006 4:16:15 PM

No, but what my quesiton is, is DVD burning drives can ALSO burn CD-Rs and read CDs as well. What makes them different to a combo drive--a DVD burner vs. a Combo Drive burner........because they cost about the same (basically, though a broad range), in their specs, they both say they can burn DVDs and CDs, and can read both.

There must be a difference because a distinction is made, but what is it. If I get one of those famous BenQ or NEC DVD drives, will they be able to burn CDs and DVDs, and read them both as well?

I want to avoid buying two optical drives--less heat, power consumption, simpler to set up, more air space in case etc.
Related resources
January 20, 2006 4:31:15 PM

DVD Writer - Writes to DVD & CD discs, Reads DVD & CD discs

Combi Drive - Writes to CD discs only, Reads DVD & CD discs

DVD Reader - Writes nothing, Reads DVD & CD discs

CD Writer - Writes CD discs only, Reads CD discs

CDRom - Writes nothing, Reads CD discs.

Hope that clears things up abit.

I think newegg and a few other places list drives in the wrong sections ocasionally. The above is the way I have always catagorised the drives and the way most of the people I know do as well, it could well be slightly out.
January 20, 2006 5:05:28 PM

Spot on
!