Screwed up the BIOS on my old Intel SE440bx-2 board HELP

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
OK so I have this old P3 800mhz system that I built years ago and Its the familys main computer at the moment until they buy something new probably when the new Windows comes out. Anyways I was just looking around for updated drivers for this computer and I found a few thaty I updated and everything was fine. But I I found a Bios update for the Se440bx-2 and installed it, after that I cant get the damn thing to work. It says that the motherboard doesnt support the 800mhz E series cpu and I have to istall a 600mhz or less cpu. OK so I tried to go back to my old bios that was working with this chip and everything got screwed up. Now I cant get anything at all on the screen to come up. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?? This really sucks, just goes to show that you should leave well enough alone, if its not broken dont fix it. But im curious and like to play around and i screwed things up.

I basically need to know how to redo the bios so that it will work with my 800mhz cpu. I tried doin what it says on Intels website and I can get it to work?? I know it can work as its been working with the 800mhz chip for over a year and the mobo does support up to a PIII 850mhz 100fsb.

I know this thing is anceint and stuff but it works just fine for basic stuff that my mom and dad use it for. I have it maxed out with 768megs of ram and we have a broadband internet connection, believe it or not the system is really not much slower for basic web browsing then my brothers brand new P4 system. I guess web browsing isnt very CPU dependant. So I need to get this thing up and running. We wont be buying an new computer for a few months at least. Im really waiting for AMD to release thier new chips with the .65 process and DDR2 before I buy a new desktop.

Intels website says i need Bios version p14 or newer to run the 800mhz cpu, and i need to know how to recover the bios. Thanks

You say you now can't get anything to come up...not a thing? How did the second BIOS flash go...any errors? If you flashed your BIOS and it didn't work correctly, you're pretty much screwed.