TS Server Port Stability

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I am experiencing instability when connecting with TS Client to TServer on
W2000 Server.

Connection from WAN is through a Linksys device with port 3389 forwarded to
local IP 192.168.0.97.

Generally, connection works OK but suddenly drops off, I have to reconnect
and log back into the still live session.

When connecting over LAN from another 192.168.0.XX to 192.168.0.97 the TS
connection is rock solid.

I suspect that the TS client/server dialog is attempting to negotiate
another port and this fails; firewall does not allow this. But everything I
read is that ONLY 3389 is used.

Any thoughts? Do I need other ports open?

Thanks.

Email and post, please.

Richard Weerts
terminalserver@ndis.us

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Richard,

It should work just fine through a firewall with only port 3389 open. It is
probably the router. Try updating the firmware. I use Netgear products for
low-end firewalls and have never had a problem with TS through them.

Gregg Hill