VPN setup?

Last response: in Networking
May 12, 2004 6:23:32 PM

I'm hoping to get some basic how to......

At office I have a w2k server (domain server) and a stand alone server
presently hosting an SQL database.

I want to setup terminal server on the standalone system and allow remote
users to connect to it thru a VPN.
I'm not sure how to go about the VPN part of things...

1) I'm looking at the Linksys BEFVP41 router with VPN 'endpoint'.... What
does this mean, endpoint? Does this mean that since the router is the
endpoint, nothing more needs to be setup on the server?

2) Or does something need to be setup at the server too?
Right now I am simply forwarding the port 3389 to the ip of the
terminal server and connecting fine, but I want the added security of a
VPN, but I'm not sure what needs to be configured and where to configure
it...
To me, it sounds like an 'endpoint' will allow me to connect my remote
client (using the build in Win XP IPSEC client stuff) directly to the
endpoint (the linksys router)and thus have access to the Terminal server. Is
this correct? (In other words, the router will create the VPN with the
remote client and allow that client to access the network the same as any
other 'in house' computer... is this correct?

The router says it will allow up to 50 remote tunnels... does this mean that
up to 50 people can be attached simultaniously?

Any pointers on how to set this all up would be appreaciated much ;)

More about : vpn setup

May 13, 2004 6:57:47 PM

"leon" <nonya@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> I'm hoping to get some basic how to......
>
> At office I have a w2k server (domain server) and a stand alone server
> presently hosting an SQL database.
>
> I want to setup terminal server on the standalone system and allow remote
> users to connect to it thru a VPN.
> I'm not sure how to go about the VPN part of things...
>
> 1) I'm looking at the Linksys BEFVP41 router with VPN 'endpoint'....
What
> does this mean, endpoint? Does this mean that since the router is the
> endpoint, nothing more needs to be setup on the server?

Yep

> 2) Or does something need to be setup at the server too?
> Right now I am simply forwarding the port 3389 to the ip of the
> terminal server and connecting fine, but I want the added security of a
> VPN, but I'm not sure what needs to be configured and where to configure
> it...
> To me, it sounds like an 'endpoint' will allow me to connect my remote
> client (using the build in Win XP IPSEC client stuff) directly to the
> endpoint (the linksys router)and thus have access to the Terminal server.
Is
> this correct? (In other words, the router will create the VPN with the
> remote client and allow that client to access the network the same as any
> other 'in house' computer... is this correct?

Yep
Once your VPN works you don't need to port forward 3389 to the TS. Get
clients to connect to the TS using the local network IP or host name of the
TS through the VPN.

> The router says it will allow up to 50 remote tunnels... does this mean
that
> up to 50 people can be attached simultaniously?

Yep, in theory, useability may be another issue.

> Any pointers on how to set this all up would be appreaciated much ;)

One pointer, make sure you give VPN clients a Local Network DNS or WINS to
talk to when they establish the VPN just like you do for a client actually
'on' the local network.

Mike
May 14, 2004 8:15:33 PM

you'd be wise to avoid linksys. i love my netgear fvs318 and there are
plenty of ppl that sing the praises of zywall routers too.

!