Win2k3 Terminal Server Licensing Query

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hello chaps/ladies,

I've got 10 Win2K3 TS CAL licenses from MS. I have installed TS
Licensing on one of the domain controllers. I have installed TS on a
Win2K3 server. When it was first installed it defaulted to a
llicensing mode of "per device", which I was not aware of. In between
me realising this, the TS License Server has issued temporary device
licenses which are due to expire in Jan 2005. I installed my license
pack on the TS License server in "per user" mode. I have now also
changed the TS server so that it is in a "per user" mode in the TS
server configuration.

I was expecting the temporary device licenses to be re-issued as full
blown user licenses. That has not taken place...... Will this
automagically happen in Jan 2005? Or will I have another high blood
pressure Microsoft related moment? :)

General comment whinge: The inability to apply a license directly to a
user SID is very annoying. It makes me want to hurt the furry animals
etc.,

--
Alex Griffin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Per User licenses are currently unmanaged.
That means that you will not see the available license count
decrement at all. You will have to keep track of the number of
issued licenses (= users) by hand.
This behaviour is probably going to change in a future
Servicepack.

The reason behind this is that Per User licenses were "invented"
in a rather late stage of the development of Windows 2003.

Documented here:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

I believe that you can relax; you seem to have your licensing
situation under control :)
If you want to be 100% sure, keep an eye on the EventLog. Any
licensing problems are registered there, loud and clear.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Alex Griffin <nntpuser@hotmail.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:

> Hello chaps/ladies,
>
> I've got 10 Win2K3 TS CAL licenses from MS. I have installed TS
> Licensing on one of the domain controllers. I have installed TS
> on a Win2K3 server. When it was first installed it defaulted to
> a llicensing mode of "per device", which I was not aware of. In
> between me realising this, the TS License Server has issued
> temporary device licenses which are due to expire in Jan 2005. I
> installed my license pack on the TS License server in "per user"
> mode. I have now also changed the TS server so that it is in a
> "per user" mode in the TS server configuration.
>
> I was expecting the temporary device licenses to be re-issued as
> full blown user licenses. That has not taken place...... Will
> this automagically happen in Jan 2005? Or will I have another
> high blood pressure Microsoft related moment? :)
>
> General comment whinge: The inability to apply a license
> directly to a user SID is very annoying. It makes me want to
> hurt the furry animals etc.,

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 04:51:02 -0700, "Vera Noest [MVP]"
<Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote:
>I believe that you can relax; you seem to have your licensing
>situation under control :)

Thanks a lot Vera. When it all goes pear shaped in Jan 2005, I'll be
back ;)

--
Alex Griffin