USB vs Parallel Cable

I have an Epson 1280 connected with a parallel cable; it works but is it
worth using USB 2.0 instead ... It came to mind because my status monitor
(up to date version) does not work and I thought it might be because of
using the parallel cable

Thanks ...

bill

Liz wrote:

>I have an Epson 1280 connected with a parallel cable; it works but is it
>worth using USB 2.0 instead ... It came to mind because my status monitor
>(up to date version) does not work and I thought it might be because of
>using the parallel cable

If the status monitor doesn't work, then you probably don't have the
parallel port set to bi-directional. Right-click My Computer,
Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager, expand the Ports link. The LPT
port should show as ECP or EPP. If not, then you don't have it set in
the computer BIOS properly.

You can either check and change the settings in the BIOS, or just swap
to a USB cable and see if that works.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:23:04 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Liz"
<liz@tiredofspam.com> wrote:

>I have an Epson 1280 connected with a parallel cable; it works but is it
>worth using USB 2.0 instead ... It came to mind because my status monitor
>(up to date version) does not work and I thought it might be because of
>using the parallel cable

I second what Bill said. Are you sure the 1280 supports USB 2.0? I know my
1270 is only 1,1.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:VJKdnZHpTagRWQrcRVn-tg@golden.net...
> Liz wrote:
>
> >I have an Epson 1280 connected with a parallel cable; it works but is it
> >worth using USB 2.0 instead ... It came to mind because my status monitor
> >(up to date version) does not work and I thought it might be because of
> >using the parallel cable
>
> If the status monitor doesn't work, then you probably don't have the
> parallel port set to bi-directional. Right-click My Computer,
> Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager, expand the Ports link. The LPT
> port should show as ECP or EPP. If not, then you don't have it set in
> the computer BIOS properly.
>
> You can either check and change the settings in the BIOS, or just swap
> to a USB cable and see if that works.

ok, it says ECP ... and now it's working after another re-boot (it doesn't
display in the main window; I have to click Status Monitor and then it
shows) ... but is a USB cable any better anyway ? it's not like it's a big
investment ...

thanks ...

bill

Liz wrote:

>ok, it says ECP ... and now it's working after another re-boot (it doesn't
>display in the main window; I have to click Status Monitor and then it
>shows) ... but is a USB cable any better anyway ? it's not like it's a big
>investment ...

There's little difference between the two because most printers are much
slower than USB or Parallel data transfer rates.

Just use which ever is more convenient or practical in your setup.

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:-oydnSgFUOqebgrcRVn-2A@golden.net...
> Liz wrote:
>
> >ok, it says ECP ... and now it's working after another re-boot (it
doesn't
> >display in the main window; I have to click Status Monitor and then it
> >shows) ... but is a USB cable any better anyway ? it's not like it's a
big
> >investment ...
>
> There's little difference between the two because most printers are much
> slower than USB or Parallel data transfer rates.
>
> Just use which ever is more convenient or practical in your setup.

I guess what's practical is what's already in place; thanks for the useful
info !

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:23:04 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Liz"
> <liz@tiredofspam.com> wrote:
>

>> I have an Epson 1280 connected with a parallel cable; it works but
>> is it worth using USB 2.0 instead ... It came to mind because my
>> status monitor (up to date version) does not work and I thought it
>> might be because of using the parallel cable
>
> I second what Bill said. Are you sure the 1280 supports USB 2.0? I
> know my 1270 is only 1,1.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

No it doesn't! It's too ancient! Anyway, the point is moot - no printer can
take data fast enough for 1.1/2.0 to be an issue.
lose his marbles?