RPC Error

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

When I try and RDP connect to a server, I get

The system could not log you on due to the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.

Please try again or consult your system administrator.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

-brian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Is this on a LAN or over the Internet?
Can you ping the server?
If you can, is there anything in the EventLog on the server?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Brian D. McGrew" <brian@doubledimension.com> wrote on 15 nov 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> When I try and RDP connect to a server, I get
>
> The system could not log you on due to the following error:
> The RPC server is unavailable.
>
> Please try again or consult your system administrator.
>
> Any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -brian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I see this problem weither I'm going over the lan or the internet.

I can ping the server.

There is nothing in the event logs.

Also another strange thing ... Up until a week ago, I could open Outlook
against that server over the internet from work. I can no longer do that.
I can still run Outlook from home just fine but not over the internet.

Thanks,
-brian

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Is this on a LAN or over the Internet?
> Can you ping the server?
> If you can, is there anything in the EventLog on the server?
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Brian D. McGrew" <brian@doubledimension.com> wrote on 15 nov 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>
> > When I try and RDP connect to a server, I get
> >
> > The system could not log you on due to the following error:
> > The RPC server is unavailable.
> >
> > Please try again or consult your system administrator.
> >
> > Any idea how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -brian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Have you checked the server and client for viruses and spyware?
I seem to recall that this was the standard symptom of a virus
that was very common a couple of months ago.

Is the client running XP SP2? If so, check your firewall settings
as well.

This is a very common error. Check the info on EventID.ne:
http://www.eventid.net/errorsdisplay.asp?error_code=1722

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Brian D. McGrew" <brian@doubledimension.com> wrote on 17 nov 2004
in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> I see this problem weither I'm going over the lan or the
> internet.
>
> I can ping the server.
>
> There is nothing in the event logs.
>
> Also another strange thing ... Up until a week ago, I could open
> Outlook against that server over the internet from work. I can
> no longer do that. I can still run Outlook from home just fine
> but not over the internet.
>
> Thanks,
> -brian
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Is this on a LAN or over the Internet?
>> Can you ping the server?
>> If you can, is there anything in the EventLog on the server?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Brian D. McGrew" <brian@doubledimension.com> wrote on 15 nov
>> 2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>>
>> > When I try and RDP connect to a server, I get
>> >
>> > The system could not log you on due to the following error:
>> > The RPC server is unavailable.
>> >
>> > Please try again or consult your system administrator.
>> >
>> > Any idea how to fix this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > -brian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

yes, this seems to be a DOS attack on RPC

message de news: Xns95A4E83DDC45Everanoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16...