Lost administrator account password (XP Home)

I changed the password for my admin account , but something went wrong. I
cannot log on as admin now. Please advise what do I do to remedy this?
4 answers Last reply
More about lost administrator account password home

    Hi Fasha,

    See if this helps:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "fasha" <fasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I changed the password for my admin account , but something went wrong. I
    > cannot log on as admin now. Please advise what do I do to remedy this?

    Hi,

    Thanks for the tip, but don't really help. Maybe I didn't make the problem
    clear.
    Actually I changed the admin password, then logged off. When I tried to log
    on later, I got the 'forgotten password?' dialogue box. I'm pretty sure the
    password I used was the new one I changed to, but it was not accepted. I
    tried the old one also denied.

    All the suggestions on Kelly's corner still needed the admin password, and
    that's the problem. I have another user account to log in, but all my
    documents are in the admin. account. Any way for me to get around admin
    password/to change admin. password/to disable admin password to get to the
    documents?

    fasha

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Fasha,
    >
    > See if this helps:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "fasha" <fasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I changed the password for my admin account , but something went wrong. I
    > > cannot log on as admin now. Please advise what do I do to remedy this?

    Hi,

    You didn't read far enough down the page. Within WindowsXP the only way to
    reset an administrator password is by logging in with another administrator
    account. There are no workarounds within Windows. However, there are other
    ways outside of Windows.....

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the tip, but don't really help. Maybe I didn't make the problem
    > clear.
    > Actually I changed the admin password, then logged off. When I tried to
    > log
    > on later, I got the 'forgotten password?' dialogue box. I'm pretty sure
    > the
    > password I used was the new one I changed to, but it was not accepted. I
    > tried the old one also denied.
    >
    > All the suggestions on Kelly's corner still needed the admin password, and
    > that's the problem. I have another user account to log in, but all my
    > documents are in the admin. account. Any way for me to get around admin
    > password/to change admin. password/to disable admin password to get to the
    > documents?
    >
    > fasha
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Fasha,
    >>
    >> See if this helps:
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "fasha" <fasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I changed the password for my admin account , but something went wrong.
    >> > cannot log on as admin now. Please advise what do I do to remedy this?

    Hi again.

    You're definitely correct... Solved my problem in 'safe mode'
    Thanks a million....

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You didn't read far enough down the page. Within WindowsXP the only way to
    > reset an administrator password is by logging in with another administrator
    > account. There are no workarounds within Windows. However, there are other
    > ways outside of Windows.....
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "fasha" <fasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the tip, but don't really help. Maybe I didn't make the problem
    > > clear.
    > > Actually I changed the admin password, then logged off. When I tried to
    > > log
    > > on later, I got the 'forgotten password?' dialogue box. I'm pretty sure
    > > the
    > > password I used was the new one I changed to, but it was not accepted. I
    > > tried the old one also denied.
    > >
    > > All the suggestions on Kelly's corner still needed the admin password, and
    > > that's the problem. I have another user account to log in, but all my
    > > documents are in the admin. account. Any way for me to get around admin
    > > password/to change admin. password/to disable admin password to get to the
    > > documents?
    > >
    > > fasha
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Fasha,
    > >>
    > >> See if this helps:
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "fasha" <fasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Microsoft Windows XP