Help! Strange problems with Gainward 6800Ultra GS AGP

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Since a couple of weeks I got some really weird problems with my Gainward 6800Ultra.
First of all, when I put it on the OC (from factory @ 430/1200) and I do some benchmarking with 3d Mark (doesn't matter which one) my PC locks up for about 4/5 seconds after about half a min. and continues after that. Its the same when I enable that option and play a game, same problem.
Second problem is that I now have this strange texture errors in Day of Defeat Source and in Battlefield 2. Texture errors are big squares with a lot of colors in it, mostly purple/green/blue.
Should I return it? I bought it a little less than a year ago, so its still within the warrenty.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Sounds like it's either getting too hot or your power supply cannot handle it. Artifacts alone could mean possible driver issues, but since system locks up too, yeah most likely your power supply is too small (not enough to power the vid card) or your video card is overheating. Make sure the video card fan is spinning correctly and if it has a separate fan connector ensure it is plugged into the right port and that it is firmly seated and what not.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Try cleaning out the heatsink. It sounds like you're getting memory artifacting. If that doesn't work, lower the memory speeds with coolbits.

Click start; run; type in regedit; the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE; + next to SOFTWARE; + next to NVIDIA CORPORATION; + next to GLOBAL; click NVTweak; Rightclick; new; DWORD VALUE; Name it coolbits; then rightclick coolbits; modify then change the value to 1A

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Specs:
AMD FX-53 (@stock)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 54G
2x Western Digital Raptor
2GB OCZ PC4000 Plat.
OCZ Powerstream 520watt

Sounds to me that a 520watt should be more than enough. I have the same problem with the standard Safe Settings, just not far as often. And lowering speeds is no option for me, I bought the card for too much so I want it to work. So my question is, when I send it back via RMA, will they encounter the same problem so that I can have a replacement?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yes, 520W should suffice. I bet it's the memory getting too hot. BTW, are you sure it's the video card? I know this sounds silly but even though logically it'd have to be (since problem started when you OC'd it) but you did try putting it back to normal and running 3dmark or BF 2 again? See if it does the same thing. If not...sorry, NVIDIA does not recommend overclocking and does not cover damage from Overclocking so if the OEM detects that you have OC'ed it you may not be able to RMA it. Don't tell them you have ever OCed it first of all, secondly tell them the problem only occurrs when "video card is stressed" or you "play games over 30 minutes". Basically you would have to lie to RMA it for your problem, which I personally cannot recommend. Then again who in this world cares about ethics anymore? I can't change your mind so do whatever you wish. I can tell you that if you mention the overclocking chances are you will not be able to exchange it or return it.

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Yes I checked it, no problem with the non-OC option. But with the other things you are wrong. The OC option is an option from Gainward itself. You got Safe Mode Settings and you got Enhanced Mode Settings, in this program called Expertool. I did not change this options, its a factory overclock.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yes I checked it, no problem with the non-OC option. But with the other things you are wrong. The OC option is an option from Gainward itself. You got Safe Mode Settings and you got Enhanced Mode Settings, in this program called Expertool. I did not change this options, its a factory overclock.

Ahh, you're right. Factory OC is different, I missed that.