uhhh does this seem right?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
my system

AMD 3700+ (754)
1 gb corsair xms ( 3-3-3-8 ) unstable at lower timings?
x700 pro 256mb 128 bit
chaintech 8x agp mobo nforce3 chipset

3dmark05 score is in the low 3k's sotmhing like 3.2k
3dmark06 score is 1004, this seems very low? am i right?... would lower memory timings increase the performance, also would a better mobo help out, this was a mobo that came with the cpu the cheapest chaintech 754 mobo i believe...

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yes, give or take a hundred points or so.

Your GPU is really holding you back, I wouldnt expect much more out
of that X700. Your 05 could be slightly higher, but not by much.
Seems about right to me bud...sorry to say.

EDIT:

Ram timings wont make that huge of a difference.
I personally HATE chaintech, with my experiences their motherobards
have given me nothing but problems, however I'm not saying there
can be good boards, just not for me.

Check to see if your running on a 1T command line, that itself is usually a 3% preformance increase from 2T. But if you want to up that score, a new GPU would be the way. New motherboard, DFI, Epox, Asus...could never hurt either.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with the other folks. If you were trying to put together a gaming platform your system is mismatched. You have a very nice CPU but your graphics card sucks by comparison. Get you a nice 7800 and you will be a lot happier. Mine scores about 7k 3dMark05 and about 3k in 3dMark06. Your system should be even faster because my CPU is (only) a 3200+ Winchester.

Rant (sorry in advance, don't take it personally):

It makes me crazy that people are so CPU and ram happy. If you are trying to put together a game platform you need to invest in the best GPU you can afford, even if you need to skimp a little on the RAM and CPU.

Notice my 3200+ with a 7800GT is killing your 3700+ with your x700 in spite of your faster CPU.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
the problem is im only 16, and my parents are aganist anything to do with the internet for some reason, i was going to get the x800xt aiw at compusa with some rebate they had it was barely more than at newegg, but when i finally had the money the only thing of a decent price was the x700, so i was forced to get this... it took almost a month to talk them into letting me get the cpu, then when i said i wanted somthing else for 200 dollars they pretty much said no before i even said what it was.... kinda gay being a teen especailly when its my money :X (thats MY rant :)) maybe ill sell it to some idiot at school and get a x800xt later on down the road, but as of right now i can run all my games at the settings i want, right now i play pretty much WoW and CS:S with some single player fear (kickass single player) wow and CSS are maxxed out (0 AA 0 AF) at 1024, css gets 115 fps constant.... so no reason to upgrade till oblivion comes out :)

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
ahha im 16 too and i had to get a 6600gt.. the thing i dont understand is how did u convince them to get u a 3700+ with such a tightt budget. and then u got a shit gfx card. i just oced my 3000+ to 3800+ lol

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
lol well i got the cpu for 220 so it wasnt bad, but then to tell them that i wanted to spend another 200... was an instant no.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
the thing is i have a job that pays 11 bux an hour, and the money i make they dont let me spend any online, if i were to buy a videocard retail is over 150 more than newegg :/...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i could try that, the compusa i live near sells the x800xt AIW, and i was gonig to buy that before but didnt have enough cash, im gonna wait a while, maybe when oblivion comes out ill consider an upgrade if it runs crappy, but id rather not sell my brand new card for half what i paid when it runs whati want right now, just wondering why my 3dmark scores were so low when hl2 can run 100+ fps on high detail at 1024...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well ive been checking out that site u showed me, and ive come across a socket 754 motherboard with pci express.. im wonder now, should i upgrade to pci express? im considering it but i really dont wanna spend more than 300 and if i were to get pci express id get a 7800gt which is currently 300, plus the 67 dollar mobo...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Microcenter has had some of the best deals lately. There's a retail store in Mass, just outside Boston. So save up, grab some friends and buy a card on an outing to Boston.
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/cambridge.html

If you need a high end AGP, here's the card to get at the best price I've ever seen: X850XT AGP for $200 after $50 rebate.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=217999
I was looking at their adds a few weeks ago and saw they wanted $450 for an Evga 7800 GT (No copper heatsink). I got my 7800 GTs with copper heatsinks from newegg for 319$ each. (No tax)
You could always see if a Best Buy, CompUSA, or Circuit City would match this price, at least the instant price.
A little better than microcenter, because I saw a BFG 7800 GT on their site for $350, just have to hope it's also in store.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
You need to remember that the bethesda release date formula goes as follows

X(Release date + Y)

X= number of delays, we have only had 2 so you never know how many more there will be.

Y = delay length and changes after every instance of X decreasing.

So IOW it might come out in march, at least this time they gave something realistic.

Well they gave something they thought was realistic before as well, except their AI started killing off other characters, including those important to the main quest.

I haven't seen anyt other official delay on their site though. However at this point it better launch March, even if there are glitches, that's what patches are for. I'm all for the 'release the best product we can' philosophy, but at some point that just creates infinite delays, just like putting off a purchae waiting for the next new piece of graphics hardware on the horizon is a never ending cycle.

At this point, I'm just looking for good system requirement specs and basic performance benchmarks.