Random BSOD errors.

lakeripple

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Normally my thoughts would jump straight to bad ram if this happened but ATM it seems more likely of a mobo problem.

Specs:
768MB Ram ( 512MB, 256MB)
p4vmm2 RV3.0 Mobo
Celeron 1.7Ghz
Nvidia FX5900

THINGS I'VE DONE:
Switched the ram in different DIMMs(I'm limited to 2 dimms so its just switching the ram around)
Bought new ram
Run memtest86 (If i run it with only 1 ram stick in it finds no errors regardless of which DIMM its in, if I run it with both after a while I start getting errors....voltage drop maybe?)

Errors I get:
Different BSOD such as,
IRQL NOT EQUAL OR GREATER
MEMORY MANAGEMENT

If I take one stick out regardless of which one it will work fine...
I've played with almost every bios setting there is...
I cleaned out every fan in the computer, taking special care around the power supply...
I updated my bios (AMi BiOS)...

I can't enter windows and when i try to reinstall it gets to about halfway through(.....again voltage drop?) the DOS portion of copying files before it starts saying that it can't read "blahblahfile" if i press enter to "reread" it usually works but fvery soon after the I get a BSOD error stating something along the lines of "A BAD DRIVER CAUSED AN ERROR IN AN UNPAGED AREA".

Perhaps its a voltage problem? Any ideas on what it might be?

mpjesse

Splendid
Are you trying to run those DIMMs in dual channel? If so, I would advise that you don't. This could be the cause of your BSOD's.

Also, do you have any specific info on the DIMMs? IE, timings? Speeds? I'm sure they're different, but we need to know how different. If you've mixed up some CAS2 RAM with CAS3 RAM or something- that too could be ur problem. It would certainly explain why 1 DIMM works fine, but 2 don't work so well. Timing issues.

Anyways, give us more info on ur RAM

-mpjesse